Bowboy 02-Aug-20
bowhunter55 02-Aug-20
Trophyhill 02-Aug-20
txhunter58 02-Aug-20
Glunt@work 02-Aug-20
altitude sick 02-Aug-20
Cornpone 02-Aug-20
02-Aug-20
How do you practice and what is your definition of a group when shooting.

02-Aug-20
A typical practice session for me these days is 2 shots at 50 yards. One with a field tip and one with a fixed broad head. If they both hit the bullseye, I'm satisfied that my bow is tuned and my shooting is up to par.

As for groups, my general rule of thumb is 1" for every 10 yards of distance. So, 2" at 20, 3" at 30, 6" at 60, etc..... In younger years I could shoot better than that, but I'm happy if I maintain that standard, now.

Matt

02-Aug-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
This time of year. 1 arrow. Random distance. Long range.

02-Aug-20

02-Aug-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Just shot this morning.

1 BH - 1 FP at 40yds (BH is deeper)

I’m good with that.

02-Aug-20
Great shootin boys

02-Aug-20
It's funny how our practice sessions have changed for many of us. I used to shoot dozens of arrows each session, until my arms and shoulders ached. At some point I realized the diminishing returns of that type of practice. Now, 2-6 arrows is plenty, and it's mostly just to confirm nothing has changed with my tune.

Matt

02-Aug-20
I shoot 8-15 shots at various yardages to make sure I'm still good to go 3-4 times a week.

02-Aug-20
I take one what I call my hunting shot every morning before I go to work from distances up to 50yds. If I'm shooting for groups, 6 arrows a few times is good.

02-Aug-20
i shoot 30-100 shots a day depending on when i get off work. lately its been around 30. not necessarily because i think i need it. but i just love shooting my bows. both of them. im always challenging myself on several different 3d targets at different yardage, angles, positions, obstacle's etc. i enjoy the heck out of this thing they call archery and enjoy hunting a heckuva lot more

02-Aug-20
10-15 for me. But I don’t shoot groups. Too much chance of damaging an arrow that way. I use targets with 4-5 bullseyes on them and shoot at a different one each time. You can “imagine” Putting them all together to get a group in your mind. Of course close to the season I switch to 3 D targets so usually shoot Only 2-3 times before retrieving my arrows.

02-Aug-20
I usually shoot at our local walking range that has a bunch of targets and different obstacles and angles. I like to shoot one arrow. If its in the vitals I move on to the next target. If I miss, I shoot another to correct. Other times I may park at one target and work on form. When my kids or a buddy is along we often play the "walk back" game. Start close, shoot until you hit the vitals, then move back 10 yards. See who makes it the farthest back.

02-Aug-20
Since I went back to traditional this spring, it’s usually around 50 per day broken into 3-4 different sessions.

Sometimes shoot MOA, But always seem to have one that keeps me from that goal.

I’ll stack them in there, then the mental thing happens where I can’t seem to keep all arrows at MOA.

02-Aug-20
If I'm not mistaken, Chuck Adams used to say shoot whatever distance and get whatever group size when practicing. But double that for a hunting situation.

• Sitka Gear