glidingindian 14-Aug-20
glidingindian 14-Aug-20
Grey Ghost 14-Aug-20
Skelly 14-Aug-20
Grey Ghost 14-Aug-20
Hunts_with_stick 16-Aug-20
03-Aug-20
Hey Guys,

After 2 scouting trips in the trophy elk unit I drew, I've realized I'm not too good at field judging elk antlers. I can usually guess a Mule deer's rack within a few inches, but I haven't hunted enough giant bull elk to get a feel for judging their antlers. I've always said if the bull looks like he can scratch his butt with his antlers, he's a big bull.

Now that I have the opportunity to actually chase some trophy bulls, I want to hone my field judging abilities. Any tips and/or pics of giant bulls, and what they scored, would be most appreciated. I know I could just do a Google image search, but I thought it would fun to hear from fellow bow hunters about how they field judge elk antlers.

Thanks,

Matt

03-Aug-20
Oh, you'll know a 400 when you see one. Even amongst 350 class bulls they dwarf them in body and antlers.

There was some old threads with pictures, but it looks like they don't load.

I believe Big Dan (rip) killed one a long time ago and might have pictures on his profile.

03-Aug-20
Jay Scott has a method that works very well. Learn it. I will add that there are very few 400" bulls in CO.

03-Aug-20

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I’d guess that one about 415”-420”???

03-Aug-20
Here's one taken last week in Arizona.

03-Aug-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I'll start with a pic of a bull that my buddy sent to me. What do you think he'd score, and why? To me, he lacks the width and mass to push him towards 400". I'd put him in the 370" range. What say you?

Matt

03-Aug-20
Try and get good at measuring the first 3 points. You wont kill a huge bull if the fronts are BIG. We use this method: add points on one side then double those and then add 200" for beam length, mass, width. This only works on big heavy bulls. Might only be 150-175 on thinner horns or shorter main beams. Example: if all 5 points on one side are 15" that equals 75", mulitply by 2X for the other side gives you 150 then add 200 for a 350" bull. Not a pic, but hope it helps.

03-Aug-20
Stick: nice Chuck Adams pose.

03-Aug-20
I wouldn't have guessed that Arizona bull would have scored 400". Yes, the Chuck Adams pose makes him look HUGE, but his 3rds aren't what I'd expect from a 400" bull. Perhaps his 4ths make up for that.

Matt

03-Aug-20
My friend got a 368” bull and we thought it was a lot smaller than that. What really fooled us was the body was so massive it made the horns look smaller. His beams were just over 50” but his mass was amazing. I have big hands but could not touch fingers on any part of the beam even between the 4th and 5th points. Good luck

03-Aug-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
This guy doesn’t quite hit the 400”. Would you take it?

03-Aug-20

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
I'd like to know the official score on that Arizona bull, doesn't look like 400+ to me, however judging by pics is clearly not my strong suit. This bull found dead goes 367 and change officially.

03-Aug-20
"This guy doesn’t quite hit the 400”. Would you take it?"

In a heart beat. How much short of 400" was he, Cnelk? Either his mass is exceptional, or you have really small hands. ;-)

Wytex, 360"s is right were I would have guessed on that bull. His tops on the right side hurt his score, I bet.

Matt

03-Aug-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Side view

03-Aug-20
He’s weak on top. Probably best to pass. :)

03-Aug-20
Matt do you have any pictures of good bulls yet?

03-Aug-20
John,

I do. But I'm reluctant to post them after what Robb went thru a few years ago.

Matt

03-Aug-20
I know a couple Bowsiters and one other friend who have taken scored 400" bulls and have photos, but I'm not at liberty to post them. What I will say is that in each case, the rack configuration is different but there will be several factors that are truly "WOW!" compared to a really nice 350-360 bull.

03-Aug-20
Matt, assuming that bull is in velvet, I would guess him in the low 370s. Great bottoms, average tops (for that area), doesn't have the width or mass, as you judged.

03-Aug-20
The velvet AZ bull green-scored 426 & change, after deductions for symmetry.

03-Aug-20

smurph's embedded Photo
smurph's embedded Photo
My buddy and his cousin got this one in AZ. I am told it’s 400. I can’t say I’d disagree.

03-Aug-20

jrb(CO)'s embedded Photo
jrb(CO)'s embedded Photo
official 403 gross, 390 net

03-Aug-20
I'd think the velvet bull in picture is 365-380 range. But it's hard to tell with the lighting.

03-Aug-20
Surprised by that Arizona score, was it with velvet ? Goes to show pics never do them justice. The huge bulls I've see or held all had either extreme mass or very long tines and long main beams and width. cnelk did he have a left foot or leg injury ? Wondering about those shorter fronts on the right side.

Nice bulls all around.

03-Aug-20
Lou, he is in velvet, and I agree, width and mass are the only thing he lacks to push 400". As a side note, I think I've found that same bull this year. His 5ths and 6ths aren't quite as long this year, perhaps due to lack of vegetation from the drought conditions, but everything else is almost identical.

job(CO), that bull would have fooled me. I would have guessed a bit higher gross with all the extra stuff going on.

Matt

03-Aug-20
That deadhead bull above isn’t mine. It’s my buddy’s. He’s turned down $1000 for it. I’m Just holding it because I shoot small shit. :)

03-Aug-20
LOL @ Cnelk!! JohnMC's pic is more representative of the 15 bulls Ive killed with my bow. ;-)

Thanks for all the responses so far, gentlemen. If you can't already tell, I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof right now. September can't come soon enough for me.

Matt

03-Aug-20

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo

03-Aug-20

coyote13's embedded Photo
coyote13's embedded Photo
Matt, Here is a 8x7 401 7/8 from last year

03-Aug-20
Be advised cnelk is 5'3" for reference.

03-Aug-20
Rock, beautiful bull, but I don't think he'd go 400".

Thanks coyote13, I guess those 7th and 8th points really add up. That bull doesn't give me the "WOW" feeling, but I wouldn't pass on him.

Matt

03-Aug-20
Matt, Agreed. When I shot him I guessed him at 370ish. The extra points and 59" beams give him the big gross score. He is 386 4/8 net. In all honesty there was big 6x6 that I was orginally after that had more wow factor, but this guy showed up and there was no way I wasnt shooting.

03-Aug-20
Look for length on both tines and the beams.......mass doesn’t add much in the grand scheme of things.

03-Aug-20

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Perhaps this picture of the Arizona bull will convince you that it's bigger than it appears from the "Chuck Adams" photo? It was killed by a special (365 days per year) hunter in the unit I have a tag in a few weeks. Another special tag hunter also wounded and lost a huge bull, and two more special tag hunters have been added to the mix this week. Always nice to wait for years and years to draw a tag, just to have the top end bulls killed off by special tag hunters. I'm NOT a fan of special tags, for the most part because I don't feel they should be allowed to hunt before the draw hunters and certainly not 365 days per year.

03-Aug-20
I don’t know Coyote. I’m pretty wowed. Just looks like a bad angle and picture of your bull

Maybe you should have posed 4’ behind it

03-Aug-20
This is not always easy and the curve of the brow tines can mess you up, but we always went by “end of the nose” is 16-17” and to get a bull to 380+, you must average 17” per point (so like the math above, 17x6x2 + 200ish = gold). So, if brown tines are close to nose and rest of the rack is at least as big as the brows, it’s a bull of a lifetime.

03-Aug-20
The Arizona bull pics remind me to pack my wide angle lense for the hero shots. LOL!

Matt

03-Aug-20

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
Matt, here's a AZ bull I measured last year,gross 398, net 383. Check your PM

03-Aug-20

JL's Link
FWIW....this video was posted in Jan of this year so I'm guessing it was taken last year?? Lee T. shot this one in Colorado with a ML. Don't know how big it is...but it looks very big in the video.

04-Aug-20
My buddy and his cousin got this one in AZ. I am told it’s 400. I can’t say I’d disagree.

04-Aug-20

Irishman's embedded Photo
Irishman's embedded Photo
Apparently this bull was shot by one of those long range rifle hunters, a 1,000 yd plus shot. Hunting with a guide on national forest here in Montana. He thought he had missed and didn't follow up when the elk went over the ridge. It was found by a mushroom picker the following spring.

04-Aug-20
Amazing bull. One of the animals I want to arrow most is a bull with big crowns.

04-Aug-20
Irishman is that guy the hunter or the mushroom picker. Beast.

04-Aug-20

Beachtree's embedded Photo
Beachtree's embedded Photo
This one not 400 .official score 394 gross ,net 380 Montana last year.

04-Aug-20
Amazing mass on that bull, Beachtree!!

Irishman, that's the most impressive bull posted yet, IMO. The circumstances of his death are a shame.

I like the "end of nose" measuring technique, Welka. I had heard something like that years ago from a taxidermist, but I'd forgotten the specifics. Thanks.

Keep them coming, gentleman.

Matt

04-Aug-20

No Mercy's embedded Photo
ND state record typical. 403” net

04-Aug-20

ND state record non-typical. 449 7/8

04-Aug-20
I wonder how often that happens with long range rifles. Often you’re hiking down and up the next canyon. That’s a long way to walk if you’re “sure” you missed. I hope that was the mushroom hunter. Zero chance I’d give that “hunter” the rack back.

04-Aug-20
I didn't know they grew them like that in ND!

I've often heard that the 3rds are where many exceptional bulls fall a bit short on score. Several of the bulls I've found scouting seem to demonstrate that characteristic. They've got everything else, but their 3rds are weak. Have you guys noticed the same?

Matt

04-Aug-20
That ND state record typical has short G1s. I'd pass, lol!

UCSD, I suspect it happens often. In the ranch where I used to guide rifle hunters, we would go back in the summer and occasionally find deadheads 30 yards back in the timber behind bald ridges. Once one of my hunters ignored my instructions not to shoot, took an 800 yard shot, and was really pissed when I made him climb down the valley and up the other side to check for blood.

After two other guys opened up on a herd at close to 1000 yards while I was screaming at them to stop, wounded several, killed a calf (they had bull tags) I decided guiding rifle hunters wasn't for me. All this outfitter cared about was the money.

04-Aug-20

Those bulls above were both taken the first year the season opened outside Theodore Roosevelt National Park. They had plenty of years to get big. There are some legit 400's running around the Badlands however. I scored this one at 374 3/8 NET with the broken RH 4th point.

04-Aug-20
Irishman is that guy the hunter or the mushroom picker. Beast.

04-Aug-20
Nevada 437 that was killed the second day of the archery season right in front of us by a rifle hunter with one of the go anywhere anytime heritage tags - he shows up at 2:00mins

A wyoming general area giant that I believe would make the mark - just wait for it at 30 seconds :)

Cheers, Pete

04-Aug-20

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
This bull isn’t 400 but he looked like 500 when he was coming in screaming. Weak tops.

04-Aug-20

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Here are two legit 400+" NET bulls from AZ I've recently measured.

04-Aug-20
Pete,

Both videos are breath-taking. Thanks! It really helps me to see these caliber bulls on the hoof. The hero shots can be very deceiving, but when you see these bulls up and moving around, it puts their antler size in better perspective for me. The top end bulls also seem to have a different demeanor about them. Like they know they are the baddest a$$ in the woods.

Matt

04-Aug-20
BOHNTR,

Those monster Arizona bulls all seem to have similar characteristics. The long massive tops almost make the bottoms look small in comparison. Awesome bulls!

Matt

04-Aug-20
Matt,

When you are out in that area, make sure to swing by the Meeker Hotel. There are some giant bulls on the walls there that are worth looking at up close and personal...

04-Aug-20
GG do you have a goal in mind. Or a targeted size you will hold out for? Or just the overall frame and look.

For example I prefer the look of a large 5x5 because it makes the tails look bigger.

I like big whale tails and would be happy with that type of frame over a higher scoring straight beamed 400”

04-Aug-20
Love me some Outlaws. Thanks for the Vids, Pete!

04-Aug-20
Treeline,

I've been in the Meeker Hotel many times. I used to hunt on privately landlocked BLM that is about 20 minutes from Meeker. Every year we'd make a point of stopping in and staring at the mounts in the Hotel.

Altitude Sick, my goal is a 350" or better. That seems like a realistic bar based on what I've seen so far. Whether it's deer or elk, I've always preferred mass over length or width. So, if I find a massive old bull that may not score that well, I'll be plenty happy with him, too.

After seeing all these pics and videos on this thread, I don't think I've found a legit 400" bull, yet. There is one that may be close, that I call "Daggers" because of his super long 4ths, but I think his bottoms may lack the length for 400". It's nice to dream, though.

Matt

04-Aug-20
It’s exciting just to even be discussing targeting a 350” bull on public land. Very exciting

04-Aug-20
It’s exciting just to even be discussing targeting a 350” bull on public land. Very exciting

04-Aug-20
I agree, it's very exciting. On my last scouting trip, I found a group of 8 bulls that were all much larger than any bull I've ever had a chance at. I just hope I don't get an early itchy trigger finger. I can hunt the entire season if I want, and I think the rut is going to be insane up there, so I really want to hold off and experience that.

Matt

04-Aug-20
I think 350 in that unit is a realistic target for someone with your experience. In all our camming and glassing before season, we only saw a couple we believed would honestly score at that level. Lots with big tops and weak bottoms or vice versa. Based on that, I lowered my expectations a little (it was a severe drought year). Since we killed both our bulls in the first six days, I still wonder what we may have found if we'd been more patient. But 350+ bulls in the hand.....

04-Aug-20
Lou,

During your drought year, did you notice a lot of bulls that seemed to be underdeveloped on the tops? I've seen several nice 6x6 bulls that carry good length and mass thru their 4ths, but the 5ths and 6ths are short. I was wondering if that could be due to lack of nutrition during the latter part of the antler growing season.

Matt

04-Aug-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
As Treeline suggested, check out the Meeker Hotel. I do not know the score except they are big, as a comparison

04-Aug-20
GG, I heard a podcast, I believe it was Jay Scott, and he was with Steve Ward I believe and they were saying a drought could impact horns by up to 30”. Bulls they had seen the year before were 30” smaller than the year before type deal.

04-Aug-20

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
I saw this bull the night after punching my tag on a 311" net bull. He was archery shot 5 days later and grossed 405" and Net 396 4/8". Basically an almost perfect 7x7. Unfortunately the hunter who shot this bull was a friend and about 2 months ago felt depressed and ended his own life so I post this in memoriam of "Mike". RIP.

04-Aug-20
That's an awful story, Mt.man. RIP to Mike.

Matt, yes, we did see quite a bit of that. But Tom's bull had huge tops, sort of "weak" bottoms (for a bull that grossed 368). Mine has great balance and symmetry all the way through.

04-Aug-20
As I said, Paul, I've stared at those Meeker Hotel mounts many times. I always loved the one with the palmated top on his left side. They have some impressive Mulie bucks, too.

John, I've believed precipitation and nutrition plays a big part in antler growth for years. I've seen big Mulie bucks lose at least 10" during drought years. 30" seems like a lot to me, however, but I guess that's less than 10% of the total on a big bull, so it's believable.

Matt

04-Aug-20
That's terrible, Mt. Man. My condolences. If I killed a bull like that, I doubt you could wipe the smile off my face with a wire brush. RIP, Mike.

Matt

04-Aug-20
Now that we are into the first week of August, how much additional growth would you expect on an elk rack before they become hard horned? 5%.....more? less?

04-Aug-20
I expect them to start stripping velvet real soon, they are done growing.

04-Aug-20
Yeah, I think they were done growing 1-1/2 weeks ago based on what I've seen.

Matt

04-Aug-20
They’re done growing where I’m at.....they’ll be rubbed out in two weeks.

04-Aug-20
Jake, I'd say zero growth now. Most bulls here in NW Wyoming will be stripping velvet around the 15th. Just my opinion though.

04-Aug-20
Saw some cedars all beat up last week where there were several bull groups up in 2. They are already starting to rub out, particularly the older ones. Seems like the older ones are the first to get ready for the rut...

04-Aug-20

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
A colleague of my hunting partner killed this bull, solo, last fall on his second elk hunt ever. I’m told he was rough scored 386” gross.

04-Aug-20

Another view...

04-Aug-20
I have only seen one elk that was a 400 incher. Took a picture of him standing next to a fence and after having the picture developed went back and measured the fence post he was standing next to. Using that as a reference was able to tell it was about 400 inches.

However I did not need to measure him when I saw him in the wild. He was just awe inspiring. I kept muttering under my breath, wow,wow. He had about 30 cows with him so they must have been impressed too. No tag, so he was safe from me.

If you see a 400 bull in the wild, you will know it.

Terry

05-Aug-20

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
Picture of him through the spotter the day before our encounter.
Picture of him through the spotter the day before our encounter.
My son shouldered this bull on the second season Archery hunt. The bull jumped into private, was killed by a rifle hunter 409".

05-Aug-20

I'm making an exception to my "no pic posting" policy, for the sake of continuing this thread.

This is a bull I hope to get a closer look at this weekend ( pic taken thru my spotter from about 2 miles away). Even with my spotter cranked up to 60X, I couldn't tell specifics about his antlers. All I know is he dwarfed the other nice bulls he was hanging with, both in body and antler size. Thoughts?

Matt

05-Aug-20
That's a bull that would be hard to pass on . Looks capable of 370+ for sure.

05-Aug-20
B I G E N O U G H !!!!

05-Aug-20
He looks big and take with a grain of salt because I’m hunting 240” Colorado otc bulls, but he doesn’t scream “omg he is huge!!!!”

05-Aug-20
I don't have any pictures to share but I've seen two 400+ bulls in the wild. One in NV after I was done hunting and killed a much smaller bull. Then another on day 2 of a hunt in Unit 13 in NM in 2007. The NM bull had a huge herd of 100 or so cows along with at least two satellite bulls that were 350 class animals. When I saw the 400+ bull pushing cows up a fence line I about crapped myself. A few seconds later, the bull hung up behind a cedar 45 yards out and then shortly after that the herd blew out due to changing winds. I got a real good look at the bull on his way out and starting shaking. My guide was also shaking.

All I can say is when you see one, there's zero question what you're looking at.

05-Aug-20
Yeah, it's tough to tell exactly what he has for antlers. The thing that jumped out at me was how big his body was compared to the nice bulls in the foreground, who were much closer to me. He looked like Shaq standing amongst normal sized people. That bull intrigues me.

Matt

05-Aug-20
Seems to me that's a bull worth going after. He's probably seen some shit.

05-Aug-20
The photo is just fuzzy enough that I can't tell for sure, but if what I am seeing if his left third (and if the right side matches it) , he's got a chance....but my gut guess is 380-390

05-Aug-20
The other thing I noticed about Shaq was he's definitely the large man in charge of the other bulls he was with. Every time he got close to one of the lesser bulls, they'd turn and submissively slink away. At one point, 2 of the other bulls were playfully sparring. Shaq walked over, as if wanting to get in the game, and the 2 bulls immediately stopped sparring and trotted away. They didn't want any piece of Shaq. LOL!

Matt

05-Aug-20
That’s a stud, Matt! Might be that 400 you are dreaming of.

Hope he sticks around. He got big for a reason.

05-Aug-20
Great bull any way you look at it! Good luck!

05-Aug-20
Thanks for confirming what I was seeing, guys. I hope Shaq stays in the same area, because it wouldn't be an awful pack out, if I was lucky enough to kill him. And I agree, he didn't get that big by being stupid. From my experience from chasing big Mulies, the biggest boys often have some remote sanctuary they retreat to during the hunting season. They opt for safety over participating heavily in the rut in more hunter accessible areas. Maybe I can get on him early enough, before his survival instincts kick into high gear. If not, there are plenty of other outstanding bulls to chase up there. I'm a pig in sh!t right now. ;-)

Matt

05-Aug-20
He's got a lot of time to go to his safe space. If you don't kill him before he switched on then think of any borders to private, or inaccessible land with cows on it. That's where he will be.

He might be good at surviving. But he's still got testosterone coursing through him. Women ruin us all.

05-Aug-20
Jack,

I think I know the private sanctuary he goes to. If so, and he continues to go there, he’ll probably die of old age rather than an arrow or bullet. My only chance at him will be early, when he’s still hanging with his butt buddies.

Matt

06-Aug-20
Places like that are a blessing for them. That's how they get how they are. I hope you slip one through his lungs if you decide to pursue him. Seems to be a worthy adversary to me. Good luck, brother!

06-Aug-20
Knowing that I'd probably have to target Shaq very early in the season to have a chance at him presents an interesting dilemma for me. Would I rather kill a true monster in the first few days of the hunt and be done, or have a prolonged experience of a once in a lifetime hunt and kill a very respectable bull later on in the season? Hmmm....

The quest or the kill, what's more important to you guys?

Matt

06-Aug-20
I like the way you think, Scott. ;-)

Matt

06-Aug-20
Don’t put any pressure on yourself. Live in the moment, have no regrets about your decisions. Enjoy the little things.

I’m sure 5 years from now When u look at Shaq up on your wall, you will have no regret with having killed him on day one. Good luck, Matt!

06-Aug-20
Go down to your local Cabelas and have a look. The cabelas near me probably has 20 on the wall.

06-Aug-20
"Don’t put any pressure on yourself. Live in the moment, have no regrets about your decisions. Enjoy the little things."

That's great advice, Thomas. I've been guilty of putting too much pressure on myself on special hunts in the past. I was so obsessed with finding and killing the biggest animal in the area, that I rarely stopped to smell the roses along the way. Hopefully I've gained a bit of wisdom from age, and I won't do that to myself on this hunt. I really want this hunt to be the cake, and the kill to be the optional icing. I think knowing I can hunt the entire season, if I want or need to, will help along those lines.

Matt

06-Aug-20

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
This bull was poached last year and not recovered until weeks later. Scored 430 something.

06-Aug-20

A crappy pic of a pic, but I lost the original. This bull was never killed that I’m aware of. Pic from 2015.

07-Aug-20
Thanks, AZBUGLER, those are both amazing bulls.

Matt

07-Aug-20
Old, Sway back pot bellied bull

07-Aug-20

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
I was doing some scouting this weekend and passed through Meeker today to glance at the aforementioned bulls (the Meeker Hotel Treeline mentioned). From left to right, they net scored 446, 391, and 447. Great place

08-Aug-20
Pretty amazing set of bulls, ain’t it:-)

08-Aug-20
Looking for photo's of 400" bulls? The Pope and Young records show photos of the top 10 typical elk ever killed. I think only 9 of them scored above 400". The thing that stands out is the length of their tines. Unlikely to ever see one alive. Grey Ghost, looks like your bull has at least 7 points. I don't know what the expectations are for your trophy unit, but I can't imagine there are many bigger bulls in it, especially since he looks so much bigger than the other bulls. A huge body can definitely make the antlers look smaller.

08-Aug-20
Absolutely, Treeline. Thanks for calling it out. Seems like a great boutique hotel.

09-Aug-20

glidingindian's embedded Photo
glidingindian's embedded Photo
As Royboy noted in his post above some of these giants have such large bodies it gives a diminished perspective of their massive racks. Several in camp had seen this bull , one while he was fighting a bull of equal size, and all put him at 360-370. When I saw him my first thought was that as well. He grossed 408 3/8 with the SCI scorer and 402 5/8 by B&C. His tops not that impressive but all six of his fronts exactly 20 inches, 50 inches wide and 57 inch main beams. Public land bull on a premium draw tag , would have been happy with a 320 til I saw him and got lucky. Hunted the Mescalero once and told by my guide that big thirds are often the difference between the really big and the giants. I took it for what it’s worth. Killed a bull there that scored 375 that lookEd bigger than the bull pictured here because his tops were so much bigger. But his fronts were not nearly this big and he wasn’t as wide. Also, body not as big. For me I get wowed by tops,Both elk and whitetails , and misjudge them because of it. Besides I get excited and wouldn’t even think of body size. Heck , If I kill a 310 in NM this year I’ll get excited as hell. Too old to get get too picky anymore.

09-Aug-20
Albert, Heck of a bull! Put your 375 up too!

NW CO doesn't have many really wide bulls in my somewhat limited experience, only having hunted it 4 times. My 377" gross bull had 56" main beams but was only 38" wide spread and was a tank. My other nice bull from up there was only 34" wide inside spread. Definitely hurts the score when they are narrow, but they are great looking elk anyway.

09-Aug-20
I am always wowed by the Royals and whale tale of a big bull.....but the first thing that I always look at is the thirds......I don't think that I have ever seen a 390+" bull that didn't have extraordinary thirds....

09-Aug-20
Kurt, yes, we saw quite a few bulls in that unit with long main beams but very narrow spreads. I saw one whopper that was a WOW bull until he turned straight on. I bet he wasn't more than 30" wide. OTOH, mine had 53" beams and was 50" wide, so you never know.

09-Aug-20

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Off my back deck last year about this time. Giant bull....terrible pic with my c-phone through one lens of my hand held binos. ??

10-Aug-20

Willieboat's embedded Photo
To bad this bull is only 33 inside spread....thankfully he has long tines !
Willieboat's embedded Photo
To bad this bull is only 33 inside spread....thankfully he has long tines !

10-Aug-20

glidingindian, the bottoms of your bull are exceptional. And I love the forked 4ths on your bull, Willieboat.

I took my young hunting buddy scouting with me last weekend. I'm not sure what I enjoyed more...seeing over fifty 300"-plus bulls in a day and a half, or watching his reactions to seeing all those big bulls. What a great time we had.

We found Shaq, but once again, he was too far out for clear pics. He and his buddies have been very predictable, and I didn't want to risk pressuring him by getting any closer, so we settled for just watching him from afar. He's definitely one of my target bulls.

Above is one of the better pics we got last weekend. I never thought I'd look at a bull like that and shrug it off as just another solid but not exceptional bull. This place is truly special.

Matt

12-Aug-20

Lv2hnt's embedded Photo
Lv2hnt's embedded Photo
Here's a pic from a while back. I ran into this bull alive on an Arizona archery hunt in the late '90s --- unfortunately, he disappeared on me. Found him during the next year's archery season (he'd been dead for 2.5 days, liver shot by a guy who gave up looking for him). Would have been the new P&Y world record at that time if he'd been recovered --- 426 6/8 gross, 411 2/8 net (typical 6x7). Both main beams 61" with 48.5" inside spread. Entered bull into B&C as pick-up (he deserved recognition for living) --- #13 B&C all-time typical at that time. Some 20+ years later he's still about #25 or so. You'll know it's a really big bull when you see him --- you'll shake in your boots ...

12-Aug-20
Kurt- I didn’t post the other bull pic because I caved to pressure and shot him with a rifle. I think it was 1997 and a guy couldn’t make it to the Mescalero so I got his spot, discounted as I recall. They had just stated bow hunting and had 4 previous archery hunters, all wounded. When I showed up with my recurve ( (Black Widow) they were pretty uncomfortable and said so. Said they wouldn’t have allowed me to come if they had known. I passed a couple great bulls and they assumed I wasn’t confident. Hell, I was looking for something exceptional because I had never been to a place like that. My buddy had killed 2 booners there On day 4 of a 5 day hunt they asked me to shoot the guides rifle and some back later with a compound. My shoulder that I later had surgery on was hurting Some so I caved. Have regretted it since , last NA animal I killed with a gun. Wish I had shot the 330 bull day one at 12 yds. Their average bull that year was 351. I was asked to go again in 2009 when a friend of a friend bailed on two tags and killed a 335 bull day one with a compound, regretting again for shooting too soon. Average bull that year was 331. As I sit here typing this I realize a lot of time has passed quickly and I am so grateful for these great experiences elk hunting. I tell all the young guys to “go while you can” ,getting old sneaks up on you!

13-Aug-20
I don't care what weapon you used. I'm an equal opportunity thread starter. ;-)

Matt

13-Aug-20
Tom,

That's an incredible bull, and I love all the character his antlers have.

I get the "you'll know it when you see it" mantra, but when you see as many 330"-plus bulls as I have in 3 scouting trips, they all start looking similar. None of them stand out, because they are all HUGE. A good problem to have. ;-)

Matt

13-Aug-20
Matt: You were looking for tips about field judging bulls. Give a listen to Jay Scott Outdoors podcast, Episodes 50 & 51. It's more detailed than you may want to get into 'tho ...

13-Aug-20

Lv2hnt's embedded Photo
Lv2hnt's embedded Photo
Matt: This side image was published a few years ago. Rotate that rack back and you get a better idea of its size when still on the bull (which was aged at 8.5 years) ...

13-Aug-20
Tom,

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I'll look into it. You also bring up something that I'm beginning to figure out. The overall main beam length, relative to the length of the bulls body, is a tale tell gauge of a true monster. As I mentioned earlier, the big boys look like they can literally scratch their butts with their antlers.

I wish I knew what the average width of a bulls hind quarters are. Similar to using the span of a Mule deer's ears to judge width, that would be a good way to judge a bulls width.

Matt

13-Aug-20
I think a mature bull rear end would be right around 20” wide

13-Aug-20
Anatomical elk references

Antler burr to tip of nose 15” to 16”

Front of eye to tip of nose 12” to 13”

Inside of eye to inside of eye 7” to 8”

Top of back to bottom of belly 30”

Top of back to hoof 54-58"

Tip of ear to tip of ear 21” to 22”

Ear length (base to tip) 7.5”

13-Aug-20
Man the excitement knowing you may just get a shot on something like these is pretty awesome! Soak it up!

13-Aug-20
Anthony,

Honestly, the excitement has been worth the 22 year wait. Heck, at this point, killing a respectable bull will be extra gravy on the mash potatoes...it isn't necessary, but it'll make the meal even tastier.

Matt

13-Aug-20
What a great thread. Those bills are majestic. Thanks for sharing.

14-Aug-20
Kurt- I didn’t post the other bull pic because I caved to pressure and shot him with a rifle. I think it was 1997 and a guy couldn’t make it to the Mescalero so I got his spot, discounted as I recall. They had just stated bow hunting and had 4 previous archery hunters, all wounded. When I showed up with my recurve ( (Black Widow) they were pretty uncomfortable and said so. Said they wouldn’t have allowed me to come if they had known. I passed a couple great bulls and they assumed I wasn’t confident. Hell, I was looking for something exceptional because I had never been to a place like that. My buddy had killed 2 booners there On day 4 of a 5 day hunt they asked me to shoot the guides rifle and some back later with a compound. My shoulder that I later had surgery on was hurting Some so I caved. Have regretted it since , last NA animal I killed with a gun. Wish I had shot the 330 bull day one at 12 yds. Their average bull that year was 351. I was asked to go again in 2009 when a friend of a friend bailed on two tags and killed a 335 bull day one with a compound, regretting again for shooting too soon. Average bull that year was 331. As I sit here typing this I realize a lot of time has passed quickly and I am so grateful for these great experiences elk hunting. I tell all the young guys to “go while you can” ,getting old sneaks up on you!

14-Aug-20
Double post. Sorry

14-Aug-20

I'm not doing too well on my "no pic posting" policy, but I learned how to eliminate the metadata from them, so I'm not as reluctant to share them.

This is one of my favorite pics. That's a group of 8 mature bulls that I've located in the same general area twice. There's nothing exceptional in that group, but the one on the far left has potential in a few years, I think. You just don't get to see sights like that in the vast majority of elk country, in my experience.

Matt

14-Aug-20
Do you estimate the one on the left to be about 325?Also working on the field judging. His 5's and 6's are pretty good

14-Aug-20
I’m pegging the one on the left at 340” - ish. He lacks length to push him in the elite category.

Matt

16-Aug-20
Wow, is all I can say

• Sitka Gear