BUCKeye 09-Aug-20
Jebediah 09-Aug-20
RIT 10-Aug-20
White Falcon 10-Aug-20
Shawn 10-Aug-20
BUCKeye 10-Aug-20
Tonybear61 12-Aug-20
09-Aug-20
Would it be unsafe for 2 guys to share a single lifeline in a tandem treestand setup? I see some for sale with 2 prussic knots and 2 caribiners and presume thats what they are for. I am going to hang a bunch of double treestand sets for me and my son and have enough single lifelines which each have a single prussic and caribiner. I was considering adding a 2nd prussic and caribiner to save significant cost of running 2 separate lifelines. If we use the same line and 1 guy falls, I am not sure how much that would jerk on the other guy. I suppose alot depends on the geometry of the setup and fall.

09-Aug-20
Also, if ok to run 2 guys on the same line, I would appreciate info on a good source to buy prussic rope and caribiners.

If not ok and I need to run a second line, please let me know if you are aware of any deals on lifelines.

Thanks in advance

09-Aug-20
If you climb, tie off and get down at different times shouldn't be any issue. If you are hooked to the line and not tied off, while someone is going up and down, then an issue. You should tie off to the tree before you unhook from the line and hook to the line before you untie from the tree. You would need two Prussic knots.

09-Aug-20
Thanks. I think that is the way to go...share the line but the first guy has to detach and secure to a separate strap at his stand before the 2nd guy heads up the lifeline.

Anyone have a good source and instructions for prussic and caribiners?

09-Aug-20
Two separate lines, and never unhook from lifeline up at the top. No “tree strap,” or whatever. The lifeline is the whole deal. One line hangs down each side of stand. I use this exact setup, works well.

10-Aug-20
There is a difference between breaking strength and load capacity. I have a few different models but the load capacity on one I looked at the other day was only 310 pounds.

Having someone unhook and tether to a different strap completely nullifies the use of a lifeline to begin with.

10-Aug-20
Unhook ONLY if you hook to tree first, as I said.

10-Aug-20
I would not hesitate to use the same line and both hooked to it. I use climbing and rescue grade rope. Load rated over a couple thousand pounds and I believe 10k or more breaking strength. We buy all our stuff and make our own. Stirling in the rope we use. Shawn

10-Aug-20
I wasn't concerned about breaking strength as much as I feared that one guy falling out of his stand could pull the other guy out of his. I think White Falcons suggestion for the first guy to connect to a separate tether at the top is the way to go. Lots of websites with climbing gear...I just need to pick one to buy rope and learn to tie a prussic

12-Aug-20
5,000 lb breaking strength because that is the force you can generate in a fall, most systems top out at 310# for user, so maybe if you are both under 155 #and can't generate the 5,000 lb(which goes against the laws of physics and a healthly buffer). Two hunters, two lines. 5,000 lb each that's what OSHA and ANSI call for.

• Sitka Gear