Will tell 14-Aug-20
Shb 15-Aug-20
Russ Koon 15-Aug-20
ahunter76 15-Aug-20
Darrell 21-Aug-20
APauls 21-Aug-20
Darrell 21-Aug-20
10-Aug-20
Who else just keeps going back to your old reliable heads? I have been shooting muzzy 125 3 blades for almost 20 years. Always done the job assuming I put the arrow where it needed to go... Last couple years I grab something else and try it but some how end up back at muzzy the next year...

Anyone else keep trying to jump on something new only to end up back where you were?

10-Aug-20
No, I always shoot my Magnus heads like I have for the last 35yrs. Like stated on other posts why fix it when it ain't broken!

10-Aug-20
Four blade eskimos have worked for decades.

10-Aug-20
If I could only find some more 6 blade Wasps from the 70's!

10-Aug-20
I switched from the old Magnus Snuffers to the SS snuffers a couple years ago but always kept a couple of the 145 grain screw ins in my quiver for close set ups. Right now I am trying to decide if I can get the larger 145s to fly well enough to just have the big boys in the quiver. Verdict isn't in completely yet but I think I'm good with them out to 50 and I don't plan on shooting any further though I will likely keep at least one SS in the quiver in case I need a follow up shot at a long distance.

10-Aug-20
Two years ago I killed a buck with my arrows sporting 1965 model Bod-Kin broadheads. Used a file and then a stone to sharpen them, the old way still works! Normally I shoot Thunderhead 125 broadheads but just decided to take a step back in time that year.

10-Aug-20
Not me. I think some of the new heads are better versions of the old heads. Plus, there are so many good looking heads out there, I want to try them! Just bought some VPAs to try this year. But love my Hellrazors and Magnus Stinger 4 blades I started using a couple years ago.

10-Aug-20
" I think some of the new heads are better versions of the old heads."

Bingo. Exactly.

10-Aug-20
Black Diamonds since the 1960's, never had a reason to switch.

10-Aug-20

beemann's embedded Photo
beemann's embedded Photo
VPA three blades , "better version of old head" Man they are hard to beat.

10-Aug-20

Shb's embedded Photo
It never gets old
Shb's embedded Photo
It never gets old

10-Aug-20
For the past 10 years or so it's been VPA's for me. Solid steel and re-sharpen and put them right back in my quiver. It's been a non issue since I made the switch from my old Savora's.

10-Aug-20
I broke a muzzy in a cow elk killed her but the blades didn’t make it as far as the head did so I switched to Magnus for a few years then over to vpa last year I do believe I’ll be sticking to vpa for a while since I have 10 of em.

10-Aug-20
100 grain Magnus Stinger 4 blade, always come back because they work.

10-Aug-20
A few years back, I found in my hunting gear, some old Bear Razorheads. I sharpened them up and hunted with them several years. The are killers. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on any North America game.

10-Aug-20
150 grain Magnus Stinger 4 blades. They just seem to keep getting the job done

10-Aug-20
Still have lots of Snuffers in various sizes that get used every year.

Still using old Grizzlies as well. Hard to beat that one!

Every now and then I will head out with a set of Zwicky’s or Bear’s.

The old ones work just as good as the new ones...

10-Aug-20
If anyone is interested I have I think 14 Zwicky heads I found in my shop a few days ago and if you have a use for them I’ll ship them to you for free. I’ll never use them. They all have the threaded insert in them already.

10-Aug-20
Tough to beat the Van Dieman or the g5 Montecs. Love the way the Montecs work on bear and mule deer from my stickbows.

10-Aug-20
Muzzy 4s the last 20 years.

10-Aug-20
Im using my good old exodus on elk and moose and then switching to my trusty rocky mountain snypers which are pretty old

10-Aug-20
I will take the free Zwickees---buy I would rather pay something for them!!! Thanks

10-Aug-20
I threw all my old heads away on Friday; a box full of stuff. I’m done experimenting and shooting nothing but slick trick and spitfires.

10-Aug-20
The big Snuffers for me...

10-Aug-20
Back in the day I killed stuff with Satellite broadheads but no way in hell will I go back to them.

11-Aug-20
it ain't broke. they just dont make em anymore. but i have enough RazorTricks to last a few more years.

11-Aug-20
No offense but there are much better options that are still very affordable. Standard Muzzy and Thunderheads were nice back in the day, but so was my Martin Cougar Megacam. I wouldn't want to hit the woods with either of them now unless I had no other options.

11-Aug-20
Those old Thunderhead 125's are still my favorites after many years, and lots of experimenting with other options during the summers. I practice with my BH's a lot during late summer to e very sure of them still hitting with the FP's , and my usual practice medium is a hillside here in IN, complete with an occasional concealed rock or root and some hard clay in dry weather. The TH's have proven to be very durable, extremely accurate, and are quick to tear down to replace and /or resharpen blades as season approaches. They've proven to be very durable when penetrating heavy bones, as well, and the blades seem to hold their edge better than any others I've spent time with.

11-Aug-20
Back in the day I shot Razorbak-5 broadheads, then switched to Thunderhead 125 broadheads. They have worked well. Killed a pile of deer with them and see no reason to change. In a way, broadheads are like people...the ones you like, others won't...the ones you don't, others will. It's all personal preference and depends on where you have had your best experiences.

11-Aug-20
"Back in the day I killed stuff with Satellite broadheads but no way in hell will I go back to them."

I've heard this before, but no one ever says why.

I shot my first 5 or 6 deer with them. No issues.

Flew like a field point.

Nostalgia often trumps reason though.

11-Aug-20
I sneezed once and broke the blades off of my Satellite BH's...

11-Aug-20
Been using 150 grain Magnus I, 4 blades since Mike started making them (he tells me I was his first customer). When he quit making them I bought his entire stock of them so that I would have a lifetime supply, which I now do.

11-Aug-20
Once I went to thunderheads never saw a reason to switch.

11-Aug-20
43 years of bowhunting and never killed anything with a Thunderhead. So last year in the late season I shot a doe with one. Worked great.

Many of the newer heads are interesting, especially the G5 Striker X. But I can get 5 Thunderheads for the same price as 3 Strikers. Muzzy's are even less expensive. I probably won't go back to my Eskimos, but then I might. Most likely it will be Slick Trick since that is what I have been shooting for the last 13 years.

11-Aug-20
In 44 years of bowhunting, the aspect that has been most widely experimented has been BH's. In a long run in trad archery, I killed a lot of game with Zwickey Eskimos, Magnus trads and Wensel Woodsmen. An ailing draw shoulder nudged me to compounds about a decade ago, so I decided to test the waters. NAP Hellrazors flew well and got sharp, so I killed some deer with them. Then went to Magnus 4-blade Stingers, followed by a run with Trophy Taker Shuttle-T's.

I finally broke down and faced my bias against mechanicals about 5 years ago by trying NAP Spitfires and killed a bunch with them. Last year I tried the Trophy Taker A-Tac, which is one of the best flying fixed heads I've ever shot. Killed my 2019 buck with an A-Tac that only went about 65-70 yards. My quiver this fall will be a mix of Spitfires and A-Tacs. There are plenty of really good heads in my mancave to fall back upon, but I am quite satisfied with my present choices.

13-Aug-20
Have shot basically 3 broadheads over the years. Tried a bunch but once I find something I like I shoot it for a long time. Snuffers, Steelforce, now VPA for the last 12 us years. Shawn

14-Aug-20

Will tell's embedded Photo
Will tell's embedded Photo
I like old broadheads

15-Aug-20
If anyone has any old Stainless Sattellites laying around, I'd like to trade for, or buy them.

More nostalgia than anything.

15-Aug-20
Checked my stash but only surviving Satellite I have is a carbon steel blade one that is either the one I took my first deer with or an identical twin. Used them for a few years , then switched to the stainless blade one when they came out as those carbon steel blades had proven to be kind of fragile.

The one that killed my first deer had cut a rib on each side of the rib cage in passing through, but I'd also used them in BH shoots and the practice was to carry some extra blades and be prepared to swap out the busted ones as needed. Ferules held up fairly well, but the stainless blades were 50% thicker as well as a tougher steel that took impact better. They were still better than the old soft Bear Razorheads that many of used prior to the Satellites. The method that worked to complete a BH round with them was to carry a pair of pliers in your pocket to straighten the blade between targets. Probably wouldn't be a very effective fix for today's 3D contests, but our BH shoots were mostly conducted at closer ranges and we were shooting recurves or early compounds with lower KE's.

15-Aug-20
45 years now & still 3 blade Rocky Mountains. I do try a few now & then at home "just to see" but have no intention of changing.

21-Aug-20

Darrell's embedded Photo
50 yard group with Snuffer SS. Hard on fletchings
Darrell's embedded Photo
50 yard group with Snuffer SS. Hard on fletchings
I now have 6 old style 145 grain snuffers flying and grouping well. Takes a dozen arrows and a dozen of those big broadheads to pair 6 up to fly well. I have three that group as well as field points and three more that I can consistently put in a 6" group at 50 yards. I have another 6 arrows with the newer 125 grain SS snuffers that surprisingly have the same point of impact out to 50 and group too well to shoot at the same spot unless I want to refletch them. The picture is my first attempt to shoot at 50 yards. Trashed 2 fletches on on arrow and another on the second so I'm wrestling a little with whether I want the pinpoint accuracy or the bigger hole. I think the old snuffers are grouping well enough that I will have 4 old style and 2 SS in my quiver. Most of my set ups will be in timber so I doubt I will shoot past 35 yards anyway and I'm very confident out to 50 and I have seen the damage the big broadheads do for 25 years now. Hard to move away from that.

21-Aug-20
Darrell you're nuts shooting groups with broadheads! lol. IJust when you find the combos you like they're kindling.

I have no problem shooting old heads with trad equipment, but on today's compounds some of the newer heads are simply more forgiving when you're dressed like a marshmellow or gripped by the fever of a bugle/grunt, etc.

21-Aug-20
APauls, By shooting groups, I mean shooting 3 arrows at 3 different spots on my homemade target and then making a note of how tight the group would be if I had shot all three at one spot. The three arrows in pic was my first time at 50 and I assumed they would spread out some. Bad assumption especially since I seem to shoot better at 50 than I do 35 for some reason. Haven't done it since and hopefully will have enough sense to not do it next year either. :)

• Sitka Gear