onX Maps
Elevated Box Blind Stairs Or Ladder?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
JL 10-Aug-20
10-Aug-20

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
A few days ago we raised a nice box blind up in the air. I used dual-angled Elevator Brackets for the 12 foot 4x4's so the bottom of the door is approx 13' up. My original idea (Plan A) for the stairs up to it was using two traditional PT 2"x12'x16' as the main runners and notch in the steps and use PT 2"x10's for those. I was thinking that would be an easy task until I picked up a PT 2x12x16 a bit ago. Well.....after picking just one up it occurred to me that wasn't going to happen due to weight concerns x 2, plus the steps. I was figuring those steps would be pushing 300lbs at least by the time I got them built.

Ok....Plan B is up to bat. Has anyone that built box blind steps used 2x6's for the main runners? I seen a Youtube with some guy making them but he didn't show the stairs installed so I don't know what the finished project looked like. I would use 16 footers and set vertical 4x4 posts on each side, top and bottom, to support them.

Plan C......get a 15' metal ladder stand and modify that to use as the stairs/ladder to the blind.

The owner wants something his 6 yr old kid can safely get up in the blind with so I have to consider that for the build. A handrail will likely make it the safest to use, especially when it's snow/iced over.

If ya have any pics of what ya did for stairs I'd appreciate it.

• Sitka Gear