Padfoot 12-Aug-20
cnelk 12-Aug-20
Tilzbow 12-Aug-20
Lost Arra 12-Aug-20
Tonybear61 12-Aug-20
Inshart 12-Aug-20
Rob in VT 13-Aug-20
11-Aug-20
The most comfortable boots I have squeak - any moisture underneath and the rubber soles squeak with each step. Does anyone have any kind of remedy - (no - other boots, don't walk in wet areas, etc. etc.) LOL

I have other boots that I wear, but these have the best traction and are the most comfortable. I wear them when packing out elk, would like to wear them all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

11-Aug-20
I have the same issue with my Lowa Renegades...I read in another thread, that the laces are often the culprit (strangely)?

I haven't tried switching them out yet. Hopefully, some of the "Boot Gurus" will chime in on this....

11-Aug-20
I had squeak issues with a pair of Salomons and the company replaced them. I thought it was in the leather but later a Bowsiter mentioned the laces squeaking in the eyelets and that's what it was. Waxed the laces and that did it. Crazy. What brand and sole composition are they so maybe somebody has the same.

11-Aug-20
Interesting - I'll try switching the laces out first. Thanks, keep em com'n

11-Aug-20

11-Aug-20
The laces suggestion sounds solid! But if the squeak sounds like a Cow Call then you'll be OK! (grin)

ElkNut

11-Aug-20
I just had this same problem with a pair of Lowas. Just could not figure it out. Sounded like a wounded rabbit walking down the trail. Did a bunch of research online....and found some ideas. One that I saw over and over was that the moisture needed to be zapped out of the foot bed. (Probably just sweat that's continued to build over time.) The first option it recommended was pulling out your insert, and then putting a bunch of foot power (like Gold Bond) into it, and just let it sit. The powder will soak up the moisture. I figure I had nothing to lose, so pulled out the inserts (and could definitely see that moisture was down there, or had been there.) Then filled them up with Gold Bond powder, shook it around a lot to make sure it got it all the crevices....then let them sit for 4 or 5 days. No joking, I have not had a squeak since. Have been on a number of long hikes (probably 50 or 60 miles since doing it), and they haven't squeaked since. It's a cheap way to try. (That same research had a couple other options I can't remember,....but it said try this first.)

11-Aug-20

76aggie's embedded Photo
76aggie's embedded Photo
Boot Stretch spray is a possibility. No telling what this stuff can loosen up.

11-Aug-20
The pull the insert and powder like above, it works most times. Some still squeak. (work boots, hunting boots are good...) I figured a sole lamination under the insert cut loose and just couldn't get the powder where it needed to go. Maybe not, have to wax up the laces and try that some.... er, next scheduled boot maintenance day......

11-Aug-20
I found that the tongue of one pair of boots was rubbing and squeaking under the laces In the fold of the leather. Putting Vaseline in the fold helped with the squeak.

11-Aug-20
Very, very easy fix as I have it with work shoes all the time and had it with even sneakers on the last pair - get some baby powder and douse the inside of the boots with it. If it still squeaks, put baby powder on the laces and tongue. It’s a miracle cure.

11-Aug-20
All of my Lowas did until I oiled them.

12-Aug-20
I just wax/oil my laces down and never have that issue.

12-Aug-20
??

12-Aug-20
Putting crumpled up newspaper inside a boot will pull out moisture

12-Aug-20
String wax on the laces works wonders. I use the old Bohning type in the white tube because I’ve got a couple of tubes. Bee’s wax works even better. I’d avoid oil since it will clog pores and soften the leather and the toe box. Oil can also negatively impact Goretex. Granger WAX waterproofing treatment, or similar product, on the leather is a better option than oil.

All my squeaks have been external. Never heard of the footbed squeaking so that’s definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

12-Aug-20
TD: according to the local boot/shoe repairman the delamination issue between outsole and midsole is usually the problem when laces, tongue and moisture remedies have failed to eliminate the noise. This is one reason he recommends not putting your boots on any intense heat source to dry them since the adhesives can break down.

12-Aug-20
Are you sure its your boots? 5 years ago when I had a hip replacemetn I thought I had that goign on. Checked the stand, the boots, the other equipment. It was my hip squeaking about every third step and when I stood up or sat down. Mentioned it to teh doc and while not common it does happen sometimes. You just wear into it.

12-Aug-20
Thanks everyone, going to wax the laces, if that doesn't work change them out, if that doesn't work powder the inside, if that doesn't work oil em, if that doesn't work I'll wear them for packing as in the past.

13-Aug-20
I put Snowseal under the laces on the leather. That seemed to clear it up.

• Sitka Gear