I then broadcast the seed into the vegetation and walked away. We then received 2” of rain. I needed to kill the clover without a soil residual. The label states otherwise but I suspect that was lawyer talk. I had no ill effects of germination.
Being that this field was clover Nitrogen for the wheat or brassicas won’t be an issue. The dead decaying matter will feed the new crops for weeks to come. No fertilizer in this field going on 4 years.
Good stuff! I hope to start this weekend. Did broadcast some winter bulbs and sugar beets into standing ladino I just mowed. But I am really behind this year. Please update and good wishes for some rain.
I've been deeply involved in bowhunting for over 40 years, but am a relative newbie to plots. My wife and I purchased 21 acres just before Labor Day of 2019 and I began dabbling. We put in a half dozen apple/crab apple trees for the future, then I sprayed a small clearing and tested out cereal rye. At our rural home, I tilled and fertilized the back part of our garden and planted a "buck on the bag" brassica mix along with cereal rye on the perimeter. It all came up, but the deer at home didn't touch the brassica.
Due to the covid quarantine, I got a bit later start than I wanted in early June. My son-in-law helped me spray a bigger opening and I hand cast buckwheat as a "nursery" crop. High hopes, but it was very dry this summer in areas of the mitten and nothing came of the buckwheat. With no motorized tools but my Troybuilt Bronco tiller and lawn tractor, I am doing it the "throw and grow" style after spraying to get some thatch. If I have opportunity to get up to our property later this week, I plan to spray a couple clearings and then go back next week to put in cereal rye, Ladino clover, some winter peas and an "buck on the bag" oat mix......in different spots to see what transpires.
This is one I did in purple tops. I seeded the bait plots in the first week of July and it went hot and dry for a couple of weeks. Then it poured and washed off some of the seeds in all of the plots. I mowed down this purple top turnip plot to get rid of some type of leafy, thorny weed plant that is mostly out of view. You can see some of those weeds to the right of the deer on the right. The high mowing didn't hurt the the turnips. I did reseed the bare spots again.
This is another bait plot on the west side of the property that is a mix of corn, purple tops, beets and some clovers. This plot had some run-off problems too and had to reseed the bare spots. I limed and fertilized all of the plots with triple-19. What is growing has real good color to it. This big 10pt is a new deer....haven't seen him before.
This plot is a clover plot (white and ladino I think it was) I planted a couple years ago. I mowed it in early July and it came back in real good. The problem with this plot is when it snows, it flattens the clover and the deer stop using it....at least that's what happened last year. That is why I went heavy on the beets and turnips in the other plots.
This bear got into some trash cans by the cabin the other day.