RIT 11-Aug-20
RIT 11-Aug-20
RIT 11-Aug-20
Alaska at heart 11-Aug-20
BOHUNTER09 11-Aug-20
JL 11-Aug-20
11-Aug-20

RIT's embedded Photo
This field didn’t approve of the interline/glyphosate cocktail it received. Dead dead in 5 days.
RIT's embedded Photo
This field didn’t approve of the interline/glyphosate cocktail it received. Dead dead in 5 days.
Well the fall plots are in. We desperately need rain but have already had exceptional germination.

11-Aug-20

RIT's embedded Photo
Late planted soy beans, Austrian winter peas, and sunflowers.
RIT's embedded Photo
Late planted soy beans, Austrian winter peas, and sunflowers.

11-Aug-20

RIT's embedded Photo
It’s kind of tough not to like that screen. Deer hammered the hybrid willows in the front.
RIT's embedded Photo
It’s kind of tough not to like that screen. Deer hammered the hybrid willows in the front.
Even though they are smashing the willows they are developing a strong root system and sending up new sprouts. Eventually the willows will out compete the deer.

11-Aug-20
In 3 weeks I will broadcast winter rye and winter wheat into whatever growth I have. I also still have a 30 x 700 yard row of brassicas to put in.

11-Aug-20
This field was mostly clover. I sprayed with Interline (generic Liberty) at 35 ounces an acre and 1 ounce of glyphosate plus 4 lbs of AMS in 35 gallons of water.

11-Aug-20
I then broadcast the seed into the vegetation and walked away. We then received 2” of rain. I needed to kill the clover without a soil residual. The label states otherwise but I suspect that was lawyer talk. I had no ill effects of germination.

11-Aug-20
When I broadcast the winter cereals it will be at an extremely high rate. I want maximum Spring green up and growth so I can plant a 13 way soil builder mix.

11-Aug-20
Being that this field was clover Nitrogen for the wheat or brassicas won’t be an issue. The dead decaying matter will feed the new crops for weeks to come. No fertilizer in this field going on 4 years.

11-Aug-20
Good stuff! I hope to start this weekend. Did broadcast some winter bulbs and sugar beets into standing ladino I just mowed. But I am really behind this year. Please update and good wishes for some rain.

11-Aug-20
Did you suppress that clover in anyway other than mowing? I would have everything planted but the cereals if it wasn’t for lack of rain.

11-Aug-20
I've been deeply involved in bowhunting for over 40 years, but am a relative newbie to plots. My wife and I purchased 21 acres just before Labor Day of 2019 and I began dabbling. We put in a half dozen apple/crab apple trees for the future, then I sprayed a small clearing and tested out cereal rye. At our rural home, I tilled and fertilized the back part of our garden and planted a "buck on the bag" brassica mix along with cereal rye on the perimeter. It all came up, but the deer at home didn't touch the brassica.

Due to the covid quarantine, I got a bit later start than I wanted in early June. My son-in-law helped me spray a bigger opening and I hand cast buckwheat as a "nursery" crop. High hopes, but it was very dry this summer in areas of the mitten and nothing came of the buckwheat. With no motorized tools but my Troybuilt Bronco tiller and lawn tractor, I am doing it the "throw and grow" style after spraying to get some thatch. If I have opportunity to get up to our property later this week, I plan to spray a couple clearings and then go back next week to put in cereal rye, Ladino clover, some winter peas and an "buck on the bag" oat mix......in different spots to see what transpires.

11-Aug-20
Just mowed.

11-Aug-20
Got mine mowed and sprayed but we have had 10 inches of rain here over the last month. Need some dry weather. Hard to believe that in August

11-Aug-20
This is one I did in purple tops. I seeded the bait plots in the first week of July and it went hot and dry for a couple of weeks. Then it poured and washed off some of the seeds in all of the plots. I mowed down this purple top turnip plot to get rid of some type of leafy, thorny weed plant that is mostly out of view. You can see some of those weeds to the right of the deer on the right. The high mowing didn't hurt the the turnips. I did reseed the bare spots again.

This is another bait plot on the west side of the property that is a mix of corn, purple tops, beets and some clovers. This plot had some run-off problems too and had to reseed the bare spots. I limed and fertilized all of the plots with triple-19. What is growing has real good color to it. This big 10pt is a new deer....haven't seen him before.

This plot is a clover plot (white and ladino I think it was) I planted a couple years ago. I mowed it in early July and it came back in real good. The problem with this plot is when it snows, it flattens the clover and the deer stop using it....at least that's what happened last year. That is why I went heavy on the beets and turnips in the other plots.

This bear got into some trash cans by the cabin the other day.

• Sitka Gear