BULELK1 13-Aug-20
BULELK1 13-Aug-20
wytex 13-Aug-20
TD 17-Aug-20
BULELK1 21-Aug-20
Habitat 21-Aug-20
12-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I finally learned the bloody way to start wearing Butcher gloves!!
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I finally learned the bloody way to start wearing Butcher gloves!!
'morning All,

Getting my final packing done for my hunt on the 15th and just finished some final sharpening and some final organizing my knife/saw kit for boning the meat off and for capping the skull for mounting.

Anyone have some other idea's?

Good luck, Robb

12-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I sure like having those scissor's included now.
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I sure like having those scissor's included now.
Seems like a lot but some stay in camp and some go with me so it's nice to have if needed

12-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Butcher gloves under $10 and worth it!
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Butcher gloves under $10 and worth it!

12-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Condenses up really nice for use and I always have my Sharpening Road

Good luck, Robb

12-Aug-20
What ever knife that floats your bow

But the cut resistant gloves are a really Nice luxury. Saves on all those little nicks I seem to get from gutting to processing.

12-Aug-20
I should probably try those gloves. Actually I have one somewhere. But over the years I’ve hacked myself up enough that I’m extremely careful not to let that happen. Yeah right!

12-Aug-20

Scrappy's Link
I prefer the coated cut resistant glove much better.

12-Aug-20
I have the cut resistant glove for my left hand - when I remember to put it on.

12-Aug-20
For the past 7-8 years I just carry a havalon knife with 6-8 extra 60XT blades, and gerber Metolius ez open blade. I use the gerber for all the main/long cuts through the hide. I use the havalon for all the skinning & caping, boning of all meat, and separating skull from neck bone.

I always also have a small folding saw I keep in spike camp or my pack I can saw just the skull cap off smaller bulls/bucks. I also use the saw for cutting meatpole, firewood, clearing area for tent ect. The saw is a Bahco folding saw I bought on amazon in 2013. It has been used A LOT each year, and still working great.

This setup has been great for me. Seems like people either love or hate the Havalon knifes, not a lot of in between.

12-Aug-20

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Bahco folding saw Gerber Metolius EZ open Havalon

The havalon and saw are also used for various other things on a trip, so great multi purpose items to have in my pack.

12-Aug-20
Rob I need to hire you to come organize all by crap before and after season.

12-Aug-20
Lol John!

Bow hunt, have you tried the 60a blades. They’re quite a bit more sturdy.

12-Aug-20
You are missing the fillet glove for your left hand (assuming you're right handed). Weighs barely anything, can spare nasty cuts.

12-Aug-20
No I haven’t seen the 60a blades. I thought the 60XT was the strongest. Looks like I was wrong.

Thank you!

12-Aug-20
A Havalon with 6-8 60A blades, some paracord, an emergency blanket to lay the meat on and 4 games bags have gotten me by in my kill kit. Would like to add a saw though for skull capping, need to find a good lightweight version for that task.

12-Aug-20
Havalon with 3 blades. Small Fixed blade of choice. Wyoming saw. Game bags.

Luxury items: rope, drop cloth, wire for meat pole, butchers glove.

Best weapon for boning and processing, hands down, bubba blade fillet knife, but you will really want a butchers glove for this one. That outdoor edge switch blade is a pretty nice knife for the money too.

12-Aug-20
Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw, 7-1/2 -Inch Blade, 7 TPI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001IX7OW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wThnFbP1BS7BC

Link to the saw I got on amazon for Brotsky above. Weighs 6.6 oz

Very very durable. Bought in 2013. This has been used a lot in the last seven years and still working great. Before that I had tried a couple different big name brand folding saw that were absolute garbage and broke very fast

12-Aug-20
Throw in an old phillips head screwdriver or other tool about the same shape. A number 2 is about right. Once you cut into the pedicle base at the back, use the screwdriver and a handy rock to drive the screwdriver around the base under the burr. Completely eliminates cut hairs.

13-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Very compact and sturdy sides
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Very compact and sturdy sides
Thanks--'morning,

Sure thing John! haha

The gloves come in a pair--------->

Plus, I always have my First Aid kit in my backpack too

Good luck, Robb

13-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I changed to the Quick Stop stuff for bleeding as the other stuff I had burned like alcohol on any open wound I may have had to use it on.

Pick-a-$pot,

Robb

13-Aug-20
2 knives and a sharpening stone for me for "caping".

17-Aug-20
X2 on the cut resistant gloves. Not only may save a nasty one but really handy for gripping slippery meat and hide when boning or skinning. A bear guide showed me that on skinning greasy ol bears. Grip hide and meat like velcro and help avoid hand cramps. (he used just plain cotton work gloves but cut proof is similar and adds another layer of safety) Also some brands/models of the cut proofs are made "either hand" so I can get two left hands to go with my two left feet.....

Kill kit is a Victorinox 5" straight flex boning knife, a folding outdoor edge with zipper blade, a piranta folder with extra blades, meat bags and gloves (cut resistant and nitrile disposable). Some mule tape or cord. (been liking the reflective tent line cord, great for marking things in the dark too) Kifaru hanging meat bag for the pack frame. Leatherman lives on my belt.

Boning knife is da bomb, my #1 tool. Zip blade/regular blade folder are faster and handy getting hide off. I always carry the piranta for finer caping stuff if that's what I want to do. Sometimes later in camp. I use it a ton cleaning up heads for euros and pelting pheasants, buy blades by the case. The thicker #60 blades are harder to break but aren't quite as sharp IMO. I use alot of the #22 blades too. I have two stainless steel fixed blade handles for them that medical supply houses sell as well. One in my euro toolbox and another in the pheasant kit in the truck. But for big game field work, deboning etc I don't care for them. There are better tools for that, again IMO. I'll agree, few are lighter or sharper, but like the boning knife, better tools for the job at hand.

My first aid kit in a small drybag goes in my kill kit as well. My "kit" is a kifaru zippered pocket (small or med?) buckled to my frame.

21-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Sorry for the late response, I'm just getting caught up here at home after being out chasing bow bulls!

These are the two blood stopping types I have in my First Aid kit

Good luck, Robb

21-Aug-20
I like to have a cordless sawsall to cut the cap off skull if not doing a skull mount then you need something to boil skull in.If it won't work to have battery powered sawsall at truck I like a regular butcher saw.Just alot easier that that pack saw for cutting skulls.

• Sitka Gear