Favorite Outdoor dinner recipe??
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
hunt forever 13-Aug-20
Empty Freezer 14-Aug-20
Inshart 14-Aug-20
WV Mountaineer 14-Aug-20
13-Aug-20
While I was preparing my food list for my elk hunt, I thought I need more recipes while camping. Lol.

What's your favorite recipe while cooking in the outdoors? Include the recipe and pictures if possible. Also, why it's your favorite!!

14-Aug-20
Tri Tip Chili. Buy your favorite chili beans, put a tri tip on the pit boss for a couple hours, you want it pretty rare so there are a lot of juices. Chop the tri tip up into 1" cubes, mix in chili, vacuum seal, reheat in boiling water, add onions & cheese, bon appetitty...

14-Aug-20
Lots of threads on this, but here's my favorite: Super easy with very few ingredients:

Chicken Pasta & Vegetables with Alfredo sauce. I like to use the bow tie pasta.

*While the pasta is boiling, I fry several (deboned and cut into bite size bits) chicken thighs - slow and low in butter, seasoned to your liking.

I use the mixed vegetables cooked/steamed to where they are still a bit crunchy (don't like them mushy).

Mix the pasta and vegetables in a large bowl - add Alfredo sauce (get more sauce than you think you will need). You can get the Alfredo sauce recipe from Olive Garden - good stuff, much easier to just purchase the jars from the grocery store.

I then use a large bowl or dinner plate and kind of measure out an amount of what I think I would eat when I'm hungry after hunting all day. I put that single serving amount in vacuum bags, (add extra Alfredo sauce as the pasta will absorb it and makes it dry) place in the freezer until it sets up to the point where it's almost frozen, then vacuum seal the bags.

The first guy back to camp puts the meals into a pot of boiling water and about 10 - 12 minutes later it's ready to eat out of the bag or put on a plate - throw away the empty bag, no mess, no clean up.

14-Aug-20
Never really bother with recipes. But, my favorite meal while hunting would be aluminum foil wrapped potatoes cooked in the coals and a nice ribeye over the fire.

• Sitka Gear