Monarchcx 16-Aug-20
Jasper 16-Aug-20
Shuteye 17-Aug-20
JMG 17-Aug-20
hobbes 18-Aug-20
Jaquomo 18-Aug-20
'Ike' (Phone) 19-Aug-20
15-Aug-20
Haven't driven over yet but have talked to a friend who lives near there and grasshoppers have eaten everything green in parts of elk unit 410 and 417. I'm 100 miles from Kipp campground and while I have some they haven't denuded the land yet.

One rancher in 410 is starting to feed hay already.

There is no way of knowing where the elk will go but you should expect radical changes and maybe complete absence of elk in former hot spots.

Topic 2. There will be closures of some areas due to fire danger if things don't change.

15-Aug-20
EHD hitting hard too in some areas.

15-Aug-20
They will go where they always go on hopper years...

15-Aug-20
From the "make lemonade out of lemons" handbook, sounds like a great year for hopper fishing on the rivers!

15-Aug-20
I can attest that the hoppers are indeed thick in Montana this year. But I like that "make lemonade out of lemons" suggestion. Because it means that even a self-admitted inept fly fisher like me might have actually have a chance at catching a trout.

15-Aug-20
They are good dipped in chocolate

15-Aug-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
With the way 2020 has gone so far someone will be getting attacked by one of these this fall.

16-Aug-20
I've deep fried big hoppers in fondue and they were pretty good! Crunchy, nutty.

16-Aug-20
I once went on an overnight fly fishing float trip with 2 buddies. Somehow the beverage cooler made its way onto the boat, but our food cooler didn't. Part of that "Survivor Man" weekend included eating live grasshoppers. I actually didn't mind them, but they made one of my buddies (who's a true Eagle Scout) throw up. He's never lived that down.

Matt

16-Aug-20
Forgot my lunch on the Madison this summer. Had a couple golden stones. Probably better than hoppers but not recommended.

16-Aug-20
My dad was saying they had terrible amount of hoppers in Billings. We aint got nothing unusual over here in Bozeman so must just be the east side of the state getting hit hard.

16-Aug-20
What part of the district did they say they ate all the green vegetation?

16-Aug-20
Well, that sucks.

16-Aug-20
That’s 2020 for ya...geez

17-Aug-20
I had some deep fried grasshopper is Texas once. They were good. I liked the crawdads better though.

17-Aug-20
I imagine the elk will concentrated on irrigated fields, since the grasshoppers don't like wet ground. Maybe hunt just of private irrigated ground.

18-Aug-20
More than normal in Helena. Malta area had a crazy number of them a couple weeks ago.

18-Aug-20
Well, we've had hail, locusts, disease, heat. What's next boils or famine?

19-Aug-20
Upland birds should be off the hook...Boom!

• Sitka Gear