carcus 19-Aug-20
Bou'bound 20-Aug-20
Will 20-Aug-20
Slowshooter 23-Aug-20
Cheesehead Mike 23-Aug-20
carcus 23-Aug-20
Will 24-Aug-20
15-Aug-20
I have a few 300s mixed in with my normal 340s. How interchangeable would these be on with a 65# bow and 29.5” arrows. 100 grain tips.

I am not noticing much but I don’t shoot all that well compared to most guys on this site so Minor impact can’t just be attributed To the gear it’s probably me

15-Aug-20
I have a few 300s mixed in with my normal 340s. How interchangeable would these be on with a 65# bow and 29.5” arrows. 100 grain tips.

I am not noticing much but I don’t shoot all that well compared to most guys on this site so Minor impact can’t just be attributed To the gear it’s probably me

15-Aug-20
'Bou

A couple years ago I switched from 400s to 340s. Everything else remained the same. There is about 20gr difference in weight and I dont see any difference when shooting. Not that Im a super great shot, but I tend to kill stuff

I just keep the 400s for extra arrows now

15-Aug-20
I personally can’t see any difference. Farthest I shoot is 55 yds. I am sure others can see a difference, but not me. Fun to check this stuff.

15-Aug-20
I'd be most concerned about two different arrow spines and total arrow weight with broadheads. Try 'em out and see what the POI difference is. Likely to be some difference in my experience.

15-Aug-20
about 14 grains weight difference

15-Aug-20
i have noticed a tail wag on the 400's i shot at 60lbs when i shoot them out of my 68lb now. They still hit the spot but i think its telling me that spine actually means something.

15-Aug-20
x2 ^^^^^ My accuracy suffered a little bit, I just couldn`t get the same groups even though they hit where i was aiming. Then I shot through paper....that`s when the difference really showed.

19-Aug-20
That's a small difference in static spine, not sure how it would show up. Are the 300's the same length? Or can you leave them longer? Or do you have some 125 grain heads to try on them?

19-Aug-20
Same length some heads. Not seeing any noticeable difference. There is certainly some inherent difference between two things that are not identical but that does not always result in a practical impact.

19-Aug-20
The easy way to tell the difference in spine would be to strip the fletchings off of one arrow of each weight. Then shoot them at 20 yards. That will show the difference, and will also tell you how well-tuned your bow is.

Matt

19-Aug-20
I changed from 340 fmj's to 300 axis about a month ago, I used a 50 grain brass insert instead of the aluminum on and didn't put wraps on my arrows, they came out the same weight and fly and impact the same. For the first time I got the match grade arrows, IMO worth the $20/dozen

20-Aug-20

20-Aug-20
Bou, I just literally started shooting 300 spine FMJ's to gain some weight over my 340 axis. I'm at a length/weight draw where I can use either...

The 300 spine FMJs are shooting weirdly similarly to my 340 spine axis, but a bit lower and to the side (like 1-2"). I decided I'd go heavier up front and shifted to 125's v 100grn heads. Theory being that this would make the dynamic spine some what close between the two arrows - theory, I'm no expert!

So, I'd say I see some difference, but not as much as I thought I would.

23-Aug-20
Shoot them bare shaft without any Fletchings through paper, one of them will possibly tear left or right. I can't remember which way is from improper spine. Shoot whatever one makes a bullet hole. If neither one does then adjust your rest s little till one does. Whatever one is too stiff or weak you won't be able to tune it out. Maybe your right in the middle and won't notice much. Personally I'd add some weight and shoot the 300s

23-Aug-20
I shot 400 FMJ and 340 Beman MFX carbons together for years. They were nearly the same weight and I didn't notice any difference back to at least 60 yards.

I've since switched to 300 FMJ'S.

23-Aug-20
Screw some bh's on and see which shoot better

24-Aug-20
Update. The more I shot the 300's I was having a few small issues getting them flying as well as I wanted. Perhaps oddly... I went down to 100grn heads again and they are now on mark. Weird as I was really thinking the 125's were the ticket. They fly ok with the heavier heads... But not as well as the 100's.

That said, for practice in my basement (10yd space) or inside 30yds, it's really hard to see a lot of difference, and Id strongly consider using the 340's mixed in with the 300's just to work on form and what not.

• Sitka Gear