luckydraw 26-Aug-20
Paul@thefort 26-Aug-20
Z Barebow 26-Aug-20
BOHUNTER09 26-Aug-20
BOHUNTER09 26-Aug-20
badbull 26-Aug-20
luckydraw 27-Aug-20
16-Aug-20
I was out there in July scouting . Big unit for sure. looked into bunch of different trails between Creede and Pagosa Springs. I have horses lined up and I have a plan A & a plan C Looking for a plan B. Lots of trails still closed from all the beatle kill. Talking to a couple of forest service guys they are trying to open as many as poss but its a tall order.

what Im hoping to find out here is any upto date info or intel from past year or 2? Poss drainages to stay away from because of bad trails or outfitter camps? Any helpful or informative info would be appriciated. I can't wait to get out there. Thanks

16-Aug-20
I dont really have any info for ya but Id advise you to keep a chainsaw in your truck in case trees come down across a road you need to get into or out of. Good luck!

16-Aug-20
Curious how many pts it took you to draw? Unit 76 is where I first started Elk hunting before it was a draw. Would like to get back up there for one more hunt before I'm to dang old to get up the mtn. Enjoy your time up there & good luck.

16-Aug-20
Thanks guys Deff have a chainsaw in truck and a pack saw with the horse. 16 pts I think this trip is going to be more about the experience then a monster bull.

16-Aug-20
Thx, I figured it was close to that. Ditto on your statement, good attitude!

16-Aug-20
Hunted 76 4 times when it was 2-3 pts. I’m done with points now so limited to otc units. Will be in 68 in 5 weeks

16-Aug-20
Fir 76, I'd in in through the Creede or Lake City side. The areas and trail heads around Pagosa are alway full with guts jumping into 76 all the time, especially from Archuleta Lake, Turkey Lake, Williams Lake areas. The Rio Grande Pyramid used to be a great area, but now do many outfitters and hunters camp in the meadows. Look into the trail heads above South Fork. The forest service keeps those pretty clean cause of the hikers.

17-Aug-20
Road between creede and Freeman's store to love lake Go past love lake to circle at end of road. Easy walk to last meadow before tops out. Saw pretty good bull there last year goin thru on the east side

17-Aug-20
Thanks Guys

19-Aug-20
I'm a couple years behind you. Sitting on 15 points so there is a slight chance I could draw it in 21 but likely won't apply until 22. I have never been there but hope to make a trip out next summer. I've always heard it was amazing country. Probably not worth the number of points I have saved but now I'm at the point of "what else am I going to do with them?"

19-Aug-20
Hey Darrell - yes pretty country and pretty rugged in the areas i looked at. I was in same situation with points - I hunted other states while waiting. From what I am hearing it should be a fun hunt. Be glad to give what info I can when its all over.

21-Aug-20
Luckydraw, l bowhunted 76 before the fire years ago and scouted it some since. When will you be hunting ? I did hunt near some accessable areas so might be able to help with your plan b if it happens to be an area that I know. PM me if you would like to chat about it. Best of luck to you ?.... Badbull

22-Aug-20
its a good high country unit....just don't be too picky........many guys holding out for 350 bulls have come home with tag soup.

23-Aug-20
Not holding out to much - a Solid 6pt or an old bull and a good adventure. Ive eaten tag soup in past while passing good bulls - This trip if the bull feels right and I like him Im sending it. Thanks Badbull

23-Aug-20
76 is a great unit. Rio grande reservoir is a good place. Go past the resevior and about a mile. There is a fence there , just past , 1/2 mile past there is a good place to camp and you can cross the rio grande easy. very few people go there. The elk come down out of the hills for water.

23-Aug-20
Holy.....

23-Aug-20
Hunted 76 the first 2 years I elk hunted CO., 1981-82...good memories of those newbie years...good luck!

23-Aug-20
I am going on my first hunt in unit 76 this year and i drew with 15 points.

24-Aug-20
“ff” with the world class advice! SMH

26-Aug-20
I didnt start hunting Co until 1998 - Musta been something back in early 80's. Good luck to ya Bugle!

26-Aug-20
I went up to Goose Lk on the Ivy Ck TH in July. I counted over 100 deadfalls over the trail. there would be no way I would want to pack my string in there this year with that much bushwacking to get through. ....your mileage may vary and best wishes for a great hunt!

26-Aug-20
Ty easeup - that is one of the places I was hoping to check out if plan A doesnt pan out. Forest guys did tell me they were hoping to get to goose creek by season start but they had a full schedule. Ill be putting a call into them soon. Thanks for intel. Good luck everyone!!

26-Aug-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Freeman's Store. Do not order a large ice cream cone here. You will NEVER finish it as it is a super size. Hunted 76 twice, solo, DIY, with success. Good Luck, Paul

26-Aug-20
Freeman's Store. Get yourself a hamburger before you have ice cream. A great break from MH meals.

26-Aug-20
Also was a great place for a hot shower. Don’t know if they still offer that

26-Aug-20
Also was a great place for a hot shower. Don’t know if they still offer that

26-Aug-20
I don't know if they still sell gas there but did at one time.

27-Aug-20
Thanks Guys - I went by there on my scouting trip - I 'll have to stop in. and Yes after a week of MH I'll be craving a greasy burger. Good bull Paul. Now this place has become once in a life time for NR - at least for my age group

• Sitka Gear