Tracker 17-Aug-20
Cazador 17-Aug-20
Alexis Desjardins 17-Aug-20
wildwilderness 18-Aug-20
Screwball 18-Aug-20
Nick Muche 18-Aug-20
spike buck 20-Aug-20
17-Aug-20
Wondering if anyone uses Popcorn for bait. If so do you pop your own or buy it in big bags.

17-Aug-20
I have tried it, but trout don't like it!

Sorry I couldn't resist!

17-Aug-20
Popcorn and a lonely blonde get me every time. I can't ever resist either.

17-Aug-20
A friend and I hunted in Ak with a guy that baited with popcorn. He had bait out a couple weeks before we arrived to hunt. He cooked his own. He put some fryer grease on the popcorn. We were baiting for brown bears. In a week of sitting in blinds, we saw two black bears, and got a glimpse of one brown bear. Several bait locations were not hit at all. In my view, popcorn alone is a very poor bait. Popcorn added to meat, dry dog food, or other more substantial bait might work.

17-Aug-20
If bears like it, works great. Light weight and easy to pack, bears cant run off with it. would be easiest to find a popcorn place that throws it out, or old theater (pre covid) popcorn. if you do it your self get a big popper ! comercial grade

17-Aug-20

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Brownie
Brownie
Popcorn

17-Aug-20

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
I have been using popcorn for the last 8 years, I buy 30 pounds bag of kernel and pop it myself, that gives me 4 full 45 gallon barrels, I’m using trail mix with it, also I’m buying some icing sugar and i sprinkle on it

17-Aug-20
We use it. Mixed with other stuff. Helps lighten the load for hike in and is a barrel filler! Sweeten it up with powder sugar. My boys pop it during the week. Works great.

17-Aug-20
Thanks for the feedback. The last 3 years we have just duped the bait in our spots. This year I want to set up barrels and stuff them so they do not need to be baited so often

17-Aug-20
Get a barrel, fill it with popcorn and 2-3 bags of 2lb powdered sugar. If you’re trying to eliminate the need to bait, cut a 1.5 to 2 inch hole in (no bigger) the barrel and it will last you. I like to give them a five gallon bucket of donuts as a freebie, and let them work the barrel to get the popcorn. Works great. If you think about it, a bears day to day is flipping rocks, logs eating grubs, ants etc. They’re walking around all day doing this. They have no problem flipping that barrel all day long get a couple pieces of popcorn out.

Just make sure you anchor that barrel as they’re going to work it over.

If you’re baiting fall bears, you may not get the results with popcorn as you would with other bait.

17-Aug-20
It’s not the best I have used it.

18-Aug-20

Pop crush
Pop crush
I put cheapest dog food in the barrel and small 1-2” hole at the bottom. Then popcorn as a fresher when ever I check or hunt it. Like said they can crush a barrel:)

18-Aug-20
Send a message to Spikebuck, surprised he has not responded yet. Been using it and his mix for many years now. Very successful.

18-Aug-20

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
I don’t use it much anymore just cause I hate popping it. But it works.

20-Aug-20
Popcorn works great on bears. Takes alot of work to prep it so some outfitters don't like it. Gotta add filler bait as the bears love popcorn, especially the mixure I have created, so they will eat it up quick. Popcorn goes right through them so that's why you add trail mix or granola to keep the bears. If all you have is popcorn, once its all eaten up, bears start to wander.

Check out my "Spring or Fall" thread, as half way through, I have my recipe for my mixture....

• Sitka Gear