lewis 21-Aug-20
Boris 22-Aug-20
scentman 29-Aug-20
Sawatarman 09-Aug-23
Catscratch 09-Aug-23
jdbbowhunter 09-Aug-23
Ken 09-Aug-23
18-Aug-20
Just got an air fryer. Looking on the web about doing jerky. They say it can be used for that. Anybody tried it and have recipes to share.

18-Aug-20
I wonder how long it takes? Plus my fryer offers such little surface area, if someone's jerky works out I may be upgrading.

19-Aug-20
we got the vortex one. like 7 qt.

19-Aug-20
I haven't made jerky in ours, yet, but I've made hundreds of killer buffalo wings in it.

Matt

19-Aug-20
How are you doing the wings Matt?

19-Aug-20
Mark,

It's about as easy as it gets. Air fry the wings at 400 for 12 minutes per side, while heating up your favorite wing sauce on the stove. Then dump the wings and sauce in a large bowl, shake 'em up to disperse the sauce, then chow down.

Lately, a spicy Szechuan sauce has been our favorite, but I periodically experiment with other flavors, too.

Matt

19-Aug-20
Mark, if you toss the wings in a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper mix before frying they will get a little extra crispness to the outside. Otherwise I make them just as Matt described above. They are killer.

19-Aug-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
The best part about doing wings in the air fryer is there is no oily mess to clean up, like there is when frying them in oil. And they are a more healthy for you.

Every Friday is our wing night. My wife whips up a nice fresh garden salad while I tend the wings.

Matt

19-Aug-20
Matt, do you make your own sauce or use store bought ?

19-Aug-20
I use store bought. There are so many good sauces to choose from, and the whole point for us is a quick and easy meal, so I don't bother making my own.

Matt

19-Aug-20
I got one for a gift, never would have bought it. I use the heck out of it! I doubt I’ll use it for jerky but I’ve made a lot of stuff and my son uses it daily. It’s just a small convection oven.

19-Aug-20
Cut meat add preservative and season in glass bowl for 48 hours. Lay on oven racks cook at 200 for 3 hours with door cracked for first hour.

If you want it dryer. Place in air cooker on dehydrate mode on 120 for 3 more hours. Mine turned out great. Don’t go overboard on amount per event. 5-6 pounds of cut meat

19-Aug-20
High Mountain Seasonings is what I used. Sweet and Spicy!

19-Aug-20
I want to try the jerky recipe. The other thing I did years ago in the oven. I took deer burger added the spices, let it set for a couple of days then flatten them out, about the size of a silver dollar. They turned out great. I still have deer meat an I am going to make up some jerky. Again, thanks for the advise on how to use this thing.

19-Aug-20
Thanks Matt and Justin. I will try it in mine. I've been addicted to Asian Zing sauce lately. I've been making a copycat sauce that is nearly identical to BW3s AZ sauce.

20-Aug-20
I have been thinking of buying one myself, with so many out there I have no idea on which one to purchase. Any suggestions?

20-Aug-20
Scentman, my wife got hers at Sam's club. It is the power XL Vortex 7qt. My wife did up corn on the cob last night. Great stuff.

20-Aug-20
Thank you Boris, I have wanted one for a long time now so I can start to eat a little healthier in my "old age"... I love Buffalo wings, Fries, all comfort food!

20-Aug-20
I use mine a ton for doing the same wing recipe, but roll with boneless pheasant breasts and thighs. We throw them in wraps or just eat them, actually prefer the flavor over deep fried for it.

20-Aug-20
Fries, tater tots, even hash browns come out as if they where deep fried. Like my wife said, it is quick and does not heat up the house.

20-Aug-20
How do these work or how is it different than cooking fries or wings in the oven at 400 degrees I guess is my question?

20-Aug-20
Convection heat I use my Ninja Foodie daily. Steam to cook them fast them air crisper to crispem-up with sauce. Perfect everytime.

20-Aug-20
Our oven does convection but I never use it. Wonder if it would do better for oven fries and such?

20-Aug-20
John,

Think of the difference between baked chicken and deep fried chicken. Generally speaking, you can’t get the same crispy texture with an oven as you can by frying. An air fryer gives you the same crispy texture, only without using any oil like conventional frying. It’s healthier, makes less mess, and doesn’t heat up the kitchen like an oven or stove does.

Matt

20-Aug-20
So are you adding batter/flour to it like you would chicken?

20-Aug-20
We have mostly grown up on conventional stoves, deep fryers, or the dreaded microwave... this concept is new to me but it seems to be growing in popularity... I will give the XL a try as it is not going to break my bank account!

Now as for "Corn Pop" you would have to ask Joe Biden;0) God Bless America!

21-Aug-20
"So are you adding batter/flour to it like you would chicken?"

You can, if you want to make traditional fried chicken. But, buffalo wings aren't made with a batter. I just throw the wings in the air fryer, then cover them with sauce when they are done.

Matt

21-Aug-20
I also do veggies in the air fryer. Mine came with a souffle pot - havent tried that yet.

21-Aug-20
Stuffed mushrooms are also killer in the air fryer.

Matt

21-Aug-20
My wife uses the heck out of ours. She just got a bigger one than the original we started out with and they truly are amazing. So easy to use even I can cook with it!

There are about a gazillion recipes and cooking tips online and I swear she is determined to try them all. She'll get no complaints from me.

21-Aug-20
Honestly between the air fryer and the insta-pot our conventional oven doesn't get much use anymore.

21-Aug-20
For those of you wondering what they are... You know how your daughters EZ-Bake oven is just a 100W light bulb enclosed in a box to bake the cookie?, well an air fryer is basically a hair drier enclosed in a box to "air-fry" your wings.

21-Aug-20
Come on guys which air fryer do you own. I am interested in getting one.Lewis

21-Aug-20
Ninja Foodie. I use the steamer and slow cooker function a Lot

21-Aug-20
I have a Ninja 4 qt Air Fryer and use it a lot.

We recently added a gas range to the kitchen and went with the Frigidaire range with air-fryer built in. Works great, and we use that when we need more space than the Ninja gives us. Things don't always cook as fast when stacked in the Ninja, but plenty of space in the oven, and I have definitely found placing things in a single layer cooks better when air frying. So my recommendation would be to get the biggest one you can get, especially if cooking for more than 2 people.

21-Aug-20
We have the Power Air Fryer XL. I think you can find them at Walmart. Ours was a gift, and I probably wouldn't have chosen it, as it's not a very high quality appliance. A buddy of mine has the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster. It's a quality stainless steel unit, that will likely last a lot longer than our plastic version, and it has several features that ours doesn't.

Matt

21-Aug-20
Lewis, I have a 6 quart NuWave model. Works great, no complaints, relatively inexpensive.

21-Aug-20
Thanks guys I’m all in if I can convince my wife

22-Aug-20
Lewis, my wife has the power xl vortec. Believe when not only myself and the other guys that have posted, she will love it. My wife is all into easy. Plus, little clean up. Also, the wife just ordered an extra rack so that I can do more jerky at one time. If you guys have some good recipes for deer meat for jerky and would like to share, please post. thanks davep

29-Aug-20
Ninja Foodie? Any one have a review?

09-Aug-23
I've actually been considering getting an air fryer myself – they seem like such a versatile kitchen gadget. Jerky in an air fryer sounds intriguing! While I haven't tried it yet, I've been reading up on all sorts of creative uses for air fryers.Recently, I stumbled upon this website https://lifestyletothemax.co.uk that's been a treasure trove of air fryer recipes and tips. They might have some cool ideas for jerky too. It's always fun to experiment with new recipes, so I'm excited to see how your jerky turns out.

09-Aug-23
Steak! Steaks come out perfect every time (crispy edges on the fat, rare in the middle). So easy!

Before you purists scold me know that I am a steak guy. I've reverse seared in cast iron, cooked over open fire, and even done some Argentine style cooking. Like most ways except charcoal and propane. Prep the steaks right and air fry is as good as most (sous vide might trump it).

09-Aug-23
Definitely a good investment. Can cook a lot of different thing in it.

09-Aug-23
There's a Youtube video where they do a side-by-side comparison with an air fryer and a convection oven. The results were almost the same. I always avoid buying kitchen appliances with limited use that take up space. I just use the convection feature in an oven that I already have.

• Sitka Gear