Thunderflight 24-Aug-20
patience2spare 24-Aug-20
BULELK1 25-Aug-20
23-Aug-20

Thunderflight 's embedded Photo
A few years back I made a lifesize elk target out of foam insulation, liquid nails, and spray paint.

It worked great but getting arrows out was a big enough pain that I abandoned it.

I decided to referb it this year for use practicing for next months elk hunt.

Here are the original pictures.

23-Aug-20

To fix the target issue I cut out the kill zone, filled it with rolled up tshirts, spray foam, and sealed it with card board.

I also cut off the legs and what was left of the antlers.

I tried to add features by rounding the edges with a saw zaw and carefully cutting creases for features like legs and such.

I made the antlers out of plywood and mounted the target on a skid to make moving it easier. This should also help keeping it from getting blown over.

23-Aug-20

20 yard test. The first arrow must have hit a soft spot. The rest only penetrated 3 or 4 inches.

23-Aug-20

This picture is at 25 yards. If you are at 40 you it will cause you to double take....LOL My dog was going crazy when he saw it. He was barking, growing, and even ran from it.... lol

23-Aug-20
crappy pic. Sorry

23-Aug-20

miaishere's Link
Good to see this thread posted here. I would like to know more about this so please keep sharing it here.

23-Aug-20
I also made a broadhead target out of insulation foam board. I made it by cutting 2' X 2' pieces and stacking them about 4' high so that i don't miss the target very often even at longer distances and/or before I have my broadheads dialed in. I made it in 2016 and it has served me very well. I probably shoot 400+ large broadheads (Old style Magnus snuffers) into it each year. Then when I am ready to leave for elk camp, I use a can of spray foam to fill in the holes and put it up until next year. Still using the one I made in 2016. It isn't as pretty as yours, but certainly gets the job done and gives me a lot of confidence since all of my August practice is with the very broadheads I will hunt with.

One trick I have learned for pulling the arrows is I keep a can of cooking spray with the target and I spray it on about 4" of my arrows next to the broadhead. The pull out pretty easy most of the time and only occasionally do I have to scrape melted foam off the shaft.

23-Aug-20
How many layers of foam insulation do you need to stop arrows?

23-Aug-20
Outstanding!

23-Aug-20
That’s pretty cool, Chuck! I may have to come down and check yours out............... ;-)

Seriously considering an elk hunt in 2021.................

24-Aug-20
Rut Nut you should do it! You only live once!

24-Aug-20
T-Flight, If you find that you have too many soft areas in the target where your arrows sink all the way to the fletchings, you can take the t-shirts out and pack that area firmly with plastic grocery sacks. You'll be able to get far more "layers" and arrows still pull out super easily.

Target looks amazing! Nice job. Pete

25-Aug-20
Very 'Real Life' looking

Good job,

Robb

• Sitka Gear