Beendare 27-Aug-20
Surfbow 28-Aug-20
APauls 28-Aug-20
Native Okie 28-Aug-20
Rut Nut 28-Aug-20
Trial153 28-Aug-20
Crosscut 03-Sep-20
23-Aug-20
After 11 years, my old Jetboil is no longer working.

Need 2 recommendations please:

#1. The lightest and most compact backpacking stove. Just to boil water. I’m not fancy. I just need something light and little to boil water. Preferably that uses the same type canister as a Jetboil

#2. A camp stove. Just a one burner that preferably uses Coleman fuel canisters because that is what my mini grill uses.

Thanks!

23-Aug-20
Why not another Jetboil?

23-Aug-20
11 years is a pretty good run. Why would you buy anything else? When my 15 year old Jet Boil gives up the ghost, I'm buying another.

I don't use a camp stove, so I can't offer suggestions. I find that I can cook just about anything on my mini grill that I can cook on a stove.

Matt

23-Aug-20
I’m not opposed to another Jetboil. But I don’t keep very good track of advancements in gear, until I need to replace something. So I didn’t know if there’s anything better out there. I sure had good luck with my Jetboil.

I’m not sold on a camp stove yet. But thought I’d look as I’m looking for another backpack stove.

23-Aug-20
I’m just glad I tested my Jetboil before packing it. Leave in 9 days . . .

23-Aug-20
Alls i know is that kenmore elite are junk... i use the stryker by campchef...i like it.

23-Aug-20
My MSR Pocket Rocket is tiny and works good but, when you add a pot its similar in size and weight a Jetboil and its slower. Advantage is you can bring a smaller pot if you are solo. But, then it's similar to a Jetboil Zip.

I'm probably going to a Jetboil.

23-Aug-20
Cannisters? Do you mean the 1 lb propane bottles? If so get one of the screw on single burners.

23-Aug-20
You’re making me nervous! I think my msr is about that old. Worked last weekend on backpacking trip but man it would suck if it went down in a couple weeks. Bound to happen at some point but hate to replace it when I know it’s worked so well.

23-Aug-20
I love the alcohol stoves but a bit scary in dry conditions since you can't really see the fire......and they can tip or be knocked over creating a potential disaster. But light and simple and effective.

I got a jetboil micromo this year, son has the flash. great stoves if you don't mind the bulk and cannisters.

23-Aug-20
No question, get another. The rubber o ring probably just disintegrated.

23-Aug-20

Dirty D's embedded Photo
Dirty D's embedded Photo
I've heard Jetboil is anti hunting, maybe someone else can confirm? Because of that I decided to give MSR (Windburner) my cash. Zero complaints, love this thing!

23-Aug-20
Both good stoves. I have a Jetboil Flash so of course it's better because I chose it, lol! Jetboil used to be sort of anti-hunting but now owned by Johnson, which is not, as I understand it.

I still have my little Optimus 8R I started using back in 1972. Fabulous little stove, still works like a champ. I just don't like messing with white gas anymore.

23-Aug-20
FYI - due to the statewide Colorado Stage 2 Fire Ban, those little backpacking alcohol stoves are not allowed.

23-Aug-20
Brad, does that exclusion also apply to Jetboil? Not alcohol burning but still an open flame.

23-Aug-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

23-Aug-20
Huh. I never woulda figured stoves . . . Guess I need to check Wyoming regs. How will I eat if I can’t use a stove or grill?

23-Aug-20
Blane - anything with compressed gas that has a shutoff is OK

23-Aug-20
Dirty D x2. I have the same stove and it's awesome. Wind doesn't effect it and boils water pretty quickly.

23-Aug-20
I believe Jetboil not being hunter friendly was a previous ownership. They have a deal with Realtree for a model now which wouldn't make much sense if they were anti.

23-Aug-20
I’ve had bad luck with Jetboils. They’re fragile. I use a Snow Peak Stove with a titanium pot. Same weight and you can fry meat in it and it’s way more durable and has more uses than a Jetboil, for instance, starting an emergency fire in the rain. One can of gas lasts 15ish days boiling water for freeze dried meals twice a day and I’ve used it for more than 1000 meals over 21 years and it’s still going strong, igniter included.

23-Aug-20
Hope my jet boil doesn't give out on me but a Colman peak (about 20 bucks ) ain't bad either.

23-Aug-20
Msr pocket rocket. Smallest, lightest, can’t beat it.

24-Aug-20

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
I've been running this stove for years. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap. Comes with a built in light to light the stove.

I run it with a fox maple pot, that makes it work like a jet boil.

U can get the stoves shipped off Amazon for 12-15 buck and the pot 20-25. Order today you'll have it in a day or two.

Ed

24-Aug-20

fisherick's Link
A camp Coleman PerfectFlow 1 -burner stove uses a 1# propane bottle, same as most grills. It can simmer or blow torch and works good in the wind.

24-Aug-20
I bought the same stove as Teeton several years back when my hunting area was under fire ban. No issues.

24-Aug-20
Cnelk....exactly why i've reluctantly given them up and moved to the cannister style stoves. Thanks for pointing out the current fire restriction impacts on the cheapo alcohol stoves!

24-Aug-20
My MSR Pocket Rocket is about 20 yrs old and goes strong yet. A Titanium pot and a couple empty Mt House packages for a wind screen and it works fine. If it quits I’ll get the latest version with the built in igniter and pressure regulator.

24-Aug-20

76aggie's embedded Photo
76aggie's embedded Photo
I've never owned a Jet boil but the concept is solid to me. I want to have the ability to cook something more substantial if the opportunity presents itself. I like this MSR stove. I run it off Coleman fuel. Granted, most of the time I am boiling water for dehydrated meals but I like to also be able to fry up some caribou or moose. I've had this unit for nearly 10 years with never a single issue with it. My son bought a brand new one last year and it was a dud. REI did replace it for him though.

24-Aug-20
Bake, I did considerable snooping on this topic a while ago and I ended up getting a BRS BRS-3000T. Under $20 and tons of backpackers like them. Not sure if it fits the bill for you, but it did for me.

24-Aug-20

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo
It's so tiny and cute!!!!!

24-Aug-20
I’ve been using one line Tetons for about 6 years. When I cruised timber, I’d cook lunch on it as often as not. Probably 50 times a year. I’ve used the same stove for backpacking every year since then too. It’s still rocking on. I think I paid $8 then. I bought 5 of them. Gave a couple for gifts and, still have two spares. I truly don’t think you could go wrong with one. If you need one, shoot a pm and I’ll get it out to you ASAP. Buy a pot with the heat coil on the bottom. It’ll boil water in about 45 seconds.

24-Aug-20
recently bought a Stryker...seems to be comparable to the Jetboils I've been around... happy so far

25-Aug-20
MSR Reactor and the pocket rocket for me.

26-Aug-20
Jetboil Zip does everything I need it to...

26-Aug-20
MSR windburner for last 3 years has been great.

27-Aug-20

27-Aug-20
"I still have my little Optimus 8R I started using back in 1972."

I had one of those too! Used to do some hiking/canoeing back in the late 70s early 80s. That thing was amazing and was small and light. Spun aluminum bottle of white gas hanging from my backpack. I remember selling it at a garage sale to a friend.

27-Aug-20
I've seen 2 of the Jet Boils...including the newest one melt down on backcountry hunts.

I would not use a plastic stove in the backcountry....so many good all metal stoves...then pair with that Olicamp pot with the fins...you get fast boils and no problems.

28-Aug-20
Pocket Rocket all the way

28-Aug-20
I’ve bought about 5 of the stoves Teeton shows up there. Two for myself and some for gifts. Believe it or not I thought I should have one for backup because they were $5 on eBay. Things been going strong for about 8 years. Amazing. Also run the identical pot lol

28-Aug-20
I’ve used a pocket rocket and small pot for years w/o fail. I think for 90 % of guys they do what you need. It to do.

I’m not camping @12 plus boiling snow, etc or nit picky about boil times.

28-Aug-20
I’m a JetBoil guy, but gonna try Teeton’s stove/pot combo.(never hurts to have a backup)

Just an FYI- the stoves are up to $14 now! ;-)

28-Aug-20
Pocket rocket deluxe if am not too high up or melting snow....otherwise I take my MSR reactor.

03-Sep-20

• Sitka Gear