Trial153 28-Aug-20
Crosscut 03-Sep-20
DeerNut 11-Apr-22
Genesis 11-Apr-22
coloradowalt 20-Apr-22
Rut Nut 16-May-22
Rut Nut 16-May-22
23-Aug-20
After 11 years, my old Jetboil is no longer working.

Need 2 recommendations please:

#1. The lightest and most compact backpacking stove. Just to boil water. I’m not fancy. I just need something light and little to boil water. Preferably that uses the same type canister as a Jetboil

#2. A camp stove. Just a one burner that preferably uses Coleman fuel canisters because that is what my mini grill uses.

Thanks!

23-Aug-20
Why not another Jetboil?

23-Aug-20
11 years is a pretty good run. Why would you buy anything else? When my 15 year old Jet Boil gives up the ghost, I'm buying another.

I don't use a camp stove, so I can't offer suggestions. I find that I can cook just about anything on my mini grill that I can cook on a stove.

Matt

23-Aug-20
I’m not opposed to another Jetboil. But I don’t keep very good track of advancements in gear, until I need to replace something. So I didn’t know if there’s anything better out there. I sure had good luck with my Jetboil.

I’m not sold on a camp stove yet. But thought I’d look as I’m looking for another backpack stove.

23-Aug-20
I’m just glad I tested my Jetboil before packing it. Leave in 9 days . . .

23-Aug-20
Alls i know is that kenmore elite are junk... i use the stryker by campchef...i like it.

23-Aug-20
My MSR Pocket Rocket is tiny and works good but, when you add a pot its similar in size and weight a Jetboil and its slower. Advantage is you can bring a smaller pot if you are solo. But, then it's similar to a Jetboil Zip.

I'm probably going to a Jetboil.

23-Aug-20
Cannisters? Do you mean the 1 lb propane bottles? If so get one of the screw on single burners.

23-Aug-20
You’re making me nervous! I think my msr is about that old. Worked last weekend on backpacking trip but man it would suck if it went down in a couple weeks. Bound to happen at some point but hate to replace it when I know it’s worked so well.

23-Aug-20
I love the alcohol stoves but a bit scary in dry conditions since you can't really see the fire......and they can tip or be knocked over creating a potential disaster. But light and simple and effective.

I got a jetboil micromo this year, son has the flash. great stoves if you don't mind the bulk and cannisters.

23-Aug-20
No question, get another. The rubber o ring probably just disintegrated.

23-Aug-20

Dirty D's embedded Photo
Dirty D's embedded Photo
I've heard Jetboil is anti hunting, maybe someone else can confirm? Because of that I decided to give MSR (Windburner) my cash. Zero complaints, love this thing!

23-Aug-20
Both good stoves. I have a Jetboil Flash so of course it's better because I chose it, lol! Jetboil used to be sort of anti-hunting but now owned by Johnson, which is not, as I understand it.

I still have my little Optimus 8R I started using back in 1972. Fabulous little stove, still works like a champ. I just don't like messing with white gas anymore.

23-Aug-20
FYI - due to the statewide Colorado Stage 2 Fire Ban, those little backpacking alcohol stoves are not allowed.

23-Aug-20
Brad, does that exclusion also apply to Jetboil? Not alcohol burning but still an open flame.

23-Aug-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

23-Aug-20
Huh. I never woulda figured stoves . . . Guess I need to check Wyoming regs. How will I eat if I can’t use a stove or grill?

23-Aug-20
Blane - anything with compressed gas that has a shutoff is OK

23-Aug-20
Dirty D x2. I have the same stove and it's awesome. Wind doesn't effect it and boils water pretty quickly.

23-Aug-20
I believe Jetboil not being hunter friendly was a previous ownership. They have a deal with Realtree for a model now which wouldn't make much sense if they were anti.

23-Aug-20
I’ve had bad luck with Jetboils. They’re fragile. I use a Snow Peak Stove with a titanium pot. Same weight and you can fry meat in it and it’s way more durable and has more uses than a Jetboil, for instance, starting an emergency fire in the rain. One can of gas lasts 15ish days boiling water for freeze dried meals twice a day and I’ve used it for more than 1000 meals over 21 years and it’s still going strong, igniter included.

23-Aug-20
Hope my jet boil doesn't give out on me but a Colman peak (about 20 bucks ) ain't bad either.

23-Aug-20
Msr pocket rocket. Smallest, lightest, can’t beat it.

24-Aug-20

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
I've been running this stove for years. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap. Comes with a built in light to light the stove.

I run it with a fox maple pot, that makes it work like a jet boil.

U can get the stoves shipped off Amazon for 12-15 buck and the pot 20-25. Order today you'll have it in a day or two.

Ed

24-Aug-20

fisherick's Link
A camp Coleman PerfectFlow 1 -burner stove uses a 1# propane bottle, same as most grills. It can simmer or blow torch and works good in the wind.

24-Aug-20
I bought the same stove as Teeton several years back when my hunting area was under fire ban. No issues.

24-Aug-20
Cnelk....exactly why i've reluctantly given them up and moved to the cannister style stoves. Thanks for pointing out the current fire restriction impacts on the cheapo alcohol stoves!

24-Aug-20
My MSR Pocket Rocket is about 20 yrs old and goes strong yet. A Titanium pot and a couple empty Mt House packages for a wind screen and it works fine. If it quits I’ll get the latest version with the built in igniter and pressure regulator.

24-Aug-20

76aggie's embedded Photo
76aggie's embedded Photo
I've never owned a Jet boil but the concept is solid to me. I want to have the ability to cook something more substantial if the opportunity presents itself. I like this MSR stove. I run it off Coleman fuel. Granted, most of the time I am boiling water for dehydrated meals but I like to also be able to fry up some caribou or moose. I've had this unit for nearly 10 years with never a single issue with it. My son bought a brand new one last year and it was a dud. REI did replace it for him though.

24-Aug-20

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo
It's so tiny and cute!!!!!

24-Aug-20
I’ve been using one line Tetons for about 6 years. When I cruised timber, I’d cook lunch on it as often as not. Probably 50 times a year. I’ve used the same stove for backpacking every year since then too. It’s still rocking on. I think I paid $8 then. I bought 5 of them. Gave a couple for gifts and, still have two spares. I truly don’t think you could go wrong with one. If you need one, shoot a pm and I’ll get it out to you ASAP. Buy a pot with the heat coil on the bottom. It’ll boil water in about 45 seconds.

24-Aug-20
recently bought a Stryker...seems to be comparable to the Jetboils I've been around... happy so far

25-Aug-20
MSR Reactor and the pocket rocket for me.

26-Aug-20
Jetboil Zip does everything I need it to...

26-Aug-20
MSR windburner for last 3 years has been great.

27-Aug-20

27-Aug-20
"I still have my little Optimus 8R I started using back in 1972."

I had one of those too! Used to do some hiking/canoeing back in the late 70s early 80s. That thing was amazing and was small and light. Spun aluminum bottle of white gas hanging from my backpack. I remember selling it at a garage sale to a friend.

27-Aug-20
I've seen 2 of the Jet Boils...including the newest one melt down on backcountry hunts.

I would not use a plastic stove in the backcountry....so many good all metal stoves...then pair with that Olicamp pot with the fins...you get fast boils and no problems.

28-Aug-20
Pocket Rocket all the way

28-Aug-20
I’ve bought about 5 of the stoves Teeton shows up there. Two for myself and some for gifts. Believe it or not I thought I should have one for backup because they were $5 on eBay. Things been going strong for about 8 years. Amazing. Also run the identical pot lol

28-Aug-20
I’ve used a pocket rocket and small pot for years w/o fail. I think for 90 % of guys they do what you need. It to do.

I’m not camping @12 plus boiling snow, etc or nit picky about boil times.

28-Aug-20
I’m a JetBoil guy, but gonna try Teeton’s stove/pot combo.(never hurts to have a backup)

Just an FYI- the stoves are up to $14 now! ;-)

28-Aug-20
Pocket rocket deluxe if am not too high up or melting snow....otherwise I take my MSR reactor.

03-Sep-20

11-Apr-22

DeerNut's Link
Whisperlite are a bit of an expedition stove, as in you can use a variety of liquid fuels. If you want really light weight, there are tiny things like the MSR pocket rocket that work with gas, plus lots that are smaller and lighter than that. MSR do a gas powered one that has a separate burner which puts your pans lower to the ground ie less likely to fall over. If you can’t get gas tho then it’s the Whisperlite, or I believe Primus might do something similar.

11-Apr-22
Soto Windmaster paired with any variety pot with heat exchanger on the bottom.I remove a few fins so pot bottom fits very close to burner.Short boil times and a champ in the wind

20-Apr-22
Snowpeak GigaPower stove (manual). Mine is 10+ years old.

16-May-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I ordered the setup that Teeton recommended above.......................should have it later today.

16-May-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
The pot went up to $30 now......................but still a bargain compared to most!

• Sitka Gear