PREZ 03-Oct-20
PECO 03-Oct-20
PECO 03-Oct-20
PECO 03-Oct-20
LBshooter 03-Oct-20
GF 03-Oct-20
midwest 03-Oct-20
24-Aug-20
I'm considering increasing my FOC, but I don't see a lot of options in the 150 grain range.

If you shoot a 150 grain broadhead, what is it and are you happy with it?

24-Aug-20
You’re looking in the wrong place.

Traditional guys have a ton of options.

150’s are lightweights and lots of options.

VPA makes great 3- or 2-blade options.

24-Aug-20
Other option is to increase insert/component weight and keep your current point weight

Iron Will makes some Nice 150 grain heads

24-Aug-20
I shoot the 150 grain magnus stinger , two blade and four blade . Same blade as the 125's but thicker Ferrell . Work really well for me. 50/60 yards is about as far as I shoot them practice they don't wonder around.

24-Aug-20
Vpa and magnus both make them. Both great heads. If you want to stick with your broadheads you can buy insert weights and a tool to install them pretty cheap. You can add and subtract weights as desired. Gold tip is the brand I have, pretty slick

24-Aug-20
Slick trick makes a 150gr 4 blade.

24-Aug-20
Cutthroat broadheads by RMSG, I shoot the 150gr, get great flight and with the single bevel great penetration and massive tissue damage from the way it cork screws when passing thru the animal.

24-Aug-20
Grim reaper pro hades comes in 150gr

24-Aug-20
I just increase insert weight and use any 125 grain head I want. I'd rather strengthen the insert end up instead of just screwing on a heavier head.

24-Aug-20
I really like Magnus stingers and lately for whitetails I’ve actually like D.R.T. 150/175s for whitetails. I like the wide cut with stinger blades. I’ve had some pretty excessive blood trails with those in the last couple years

24-Aug-20
You can always keep your favorite broadhead and just put in a heavier insert

24-Aug-20
Wife stuck a 150 via 3 blade through a cow elk last year like a hot knife through butter

24-Aug-20

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
Magnus Stinger on top, DRT made by “dirt nap gear” on the bottom, shown with 25gr collar that brings it from 150 to 175 if needed. Don’t care for the brand name but I like the head

24-Aug-20
Look at the Palmer 4-blade, too. A little heavier at 160 grains but cut a hell of a big hole.

24-Aug-20

Bill V - Iron Will 's embedded Photo
Bill V - Iron Will 's embedded Photo
Our Iron Will s150 broadhead is starting to sell more and more as guys want to add weight upfront. We also make 25 grain Impact Collars that you can add to many arrows if you want to stay with a 125 grain head and have more options.

24-Aug-20
I tried shooting a vpa 3 blade in a 175. It was tough to get to fly out of my bow. Decided to go heavier yet and now I'm shooting a 300 grain werewolf single bevel. They make 150s too but I think they are vented..

25-Aug-20
I shoot the VPA 150 grain unvented head and like it a lot. Flies good and resharpens easily.

25-Aug-20
Id rather use heavier inserts to achieve higher foc, way more broadhead options in 100gr and 125. Although I have never had a issue on big animals with a standard fmj/insert/100gr head. My opinion is don't go too heavy, if you do it will put less racks on the wall, been there done that!

25-Aug-20
I love the Iron Will 150 solids.

25-Aug-20
Building the best arrow starts with the Broadhead. Period. With the power of modern compounds, it does no good to increase weight forward percentage with a Broadhead that’s gonna buckle under impact.

Pick your head, collar the shaft, then shoot something with confidence that it’s going to keep plowing because the head doesn’t bust or break upon impact. Chisel tipped heads or a thick single bevel are the best of the best. Everything is else for components is simply what you have availability too.

25-Aug-20
Hard to beat a wensel woodsman / VPA, I shoot them and they kill , fast and fly like guided missiles.

25-Aug-20
Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into most of them.

I wanted to stay away from the weighted collars because of the difference in size which might cause a small amount of reduction in penetration. Any truth in this? Enough to make a difference?

Leaning towards the Magnus; my wife and kids have had good success with them.

25-Aug-20
I like both the 150 VPA and the 150 Magnus Stinger. I have quite a few of both. They both do the job well ! The Magnus warranty is 100%

25-Aug-20
It’s not foam. The difference in collared and noncollard shafts in penetration on animals is zero.

25-Aug-20
Quite a few good ones nowdays. I use Magnus Stinger 4 blades out of one bow. Amazed at how well they fly.

25-Aug-20
Quite a few good ones nowdays. I use Magnus Stinger 4 blades out of one bow. Amazed at how well they fly.

25-Aug-20
VPA

25-Aug-20
The 150 gr 3 inch Swhacker has worked great for me - elk and whitetails.

03-Oct-20
The 150 gr 3 inch Swhacker has worked great for me - elk and whitetails.

03-Oct-20
The 39 day successive double post... That's got to be a record.

03-Oct-20
Valkyrie broadheads are second to none.

03-Oct-20
"The 39 day successive double post... That's got to be a record."

x2

03-Oct-20

x2

03-Oct-20

x2

03-Oct-20
Wensel woodsman or VPA, great cut on contact heads, hard to beat.

03-Oct-20
“ My opinion is don't go too heavy, if you do it will put less racks on the wall, been there done that!”

That’s almost as silly as saying that an arrow hasn’t yet “gotten up to speed” at 15 yards.

If the heavier head you used didn’t do the job, it was the Head, not the Heavier that is to blame. Or just possibly Operator Error looking for someone else to blame....

I think WVM’s first post in this thread said all that needs to be said, probably, so at the risk of putting a finer point an what others have said....

Yes, you could use weights & inserts to move your FOC. But that affects only the mass of the arrow and the FOC. That’s like loading a Stopping Rifle with heavier hollow/points....

So why, oh, WHY would you add Mass without increasing the STRENGTH of your set-up?

A brass insert weighs a lot more than an aluminum, but does it increase the strength of the connection between the shaft & the head?? I’ve never tested that, but I’d be willing to bet that weight collars are purely along for the ride.

OTOH - and forgive me for using a leatherwall type of example - I could use a lighter adapter with a 160 grain Ace standard, or I could use a heavier adapter and the same head in 125, and I would net out at the same cutting width and the same all-up weight (near ‘nuff).

The difference is that the way that Ace makes the 160 come out at 160 and the 125 at 125 is to use beefier steel in the main blade. Which one do you suppose is stronger? (I can guess which blade will hold up better on bone, but if it’s the adapter that fails, I’ve gone the wrong way.)

Somebody mentioned that the Stinger 150 has a stronger ferrule than the lighter version; that could be good, or it could add weight where no additional strength is needed (JMO, there are NO flies on the Stinger, but they’re not safe to use with my preferred hunting quiver, so I gave mine away to a good cause).

Anyway, I am one who would turn the desire for more weight into an opportunity to strengthen the system wherever it is most needed, because why wouldn’t you?

The KE put out by the bows that a lot of you guys use make Howard Hill’s elephant-killer longbows look kinda wimpy. I can’t imagine passing up the chance to max out the strength of your set-up.

03-Oct-20
Some guys, like carcus, have tons of big, dead animals behind their statements. Some guys have theories.

• Sitka Gear