TD 27-Aug-20
Highlife 27-Aug-20
Tracker 27-Aug-20
Knife Cobbler 27-Aug-20
Trial153 28-Aug-20
sticksender 28-Aug-20
Hessticles 29-Aug-20
25-Aug-20
I had a small black bear run off with one of my gaiters before I could get 10mm of lead into him a couple of weeks ago while hunting.

I'm sort of relieved because I really hated them. I'm getting so that I have my AK gear and my lower 48 gear so I don't have to transport stuff and I still have my OR gaiters in the lower 48, but had bought KUIU gaiters for AK. I really didn't like the KUIU gaiters. They're incredibly loud and they sag.

I could just buy another pair of ORs, but I figured I'd ask people first if they'd tried a few brands and what they thought.

I like velcro and I like a gaiter that I can step in water above my boot line for a second and not have water inside my boot.

Priority #1: Waterproof and durability (won't puncture easy).

Priority #2: Quiet

Priority #3: Camouflage (distant 3rd).

Things I don't care about: 1. Cost. 2. If they're made by bunny huggers.

Thanks

25-Aug-20
Didnt look them over close but I looked at the Kenetrek version at the store the other day and they were pretty quiet material.

25-Aug-20
I am just using ORs, they fit and work well, and don't break the bank (out less money if a bear runs off with them) ;^)

25-Aug-20
Man, I don't think the KUIU's are loud at all and the fit is great for me. Super happy with mine. Kind of like boots, I guess....very individual preferences.

25-Aug-20
I like the set of kenetreck I have. Just wish I would of been able to try them on before I bought them. Xl is a little big. Think a large would of been perfect

25-Aug-20
I like OR Expedition gaiters. I tried on Kenetreks at an outdoor show and I think they’ll be my next pair.

25-Aug-20
I personally like KUIU gaiters better than Kenetrek. Kenetreks are a softer material but they ride down on my leg. KUIU does not and I like that the material is a little thicker.

25-Aug-20
My KUIU gaiters fit very well also.

25-Aug-20
I've had both OR and Kuiu and definitely prefer the Kuiu.

25-Aug-20
Another KUIU fan and I’ve had both Kenetrek & OR. OR were better than Kenetrek IMO. That said I used the KUIU on primarily on sheep hunts in the north and wasn’t walking through brush much.

25-Aug-20
Love my Kenetreck. Had em for years now with no complaints.

25-Aug-20
Ike - I like both my OR and Kenetrek gaiters. My Kenetreks are quieter and get used for hunting, snowshoeing and skiing.

My OR gaiters get used when there’s a gas auger, wood splitter etc that’s being used.

I segregate my gaiters.

26-Aug-20
Maybe just fatten your calves so the Kuiu ones fit tighter? Might solve both your issues...

26-Aug-20
Yeah, that's not gonna happen... :)

My KUIU gators squeak and are loud because my sheep boots are poly over synthetic and the little rubber line rubs and makes a rubber on rubber squeak. It's very loud when stalking. Besides that, they ride down my leg after elevation gain/loss.

I've visually picked people up from miles away in AZ by seeing their swinging black feet from OR gators. I wish OR made something in camo. Doesn't really matter, but anything other than black would be better. I've had my ORs for over 20 years and they've done thousands of miles (they have some Arizona repairs with Gorilla Tape) so I know they'll work, I just wanted some opinions on Kenetrek and others.

I'm a big KUIU fan but won't buy their gators again.

26-Aug-20
I have kenetrek and once I cut the strap out and replaced it with para cord they work fine, no sag and no sliding down the calf. I also have the mid rei gators for dry days.

26-Aug-20
My King’s are the softest quietest. I’ve tried Kenetrek, Kuiu, Sitka are solid construction and work well. But kinda noisy I have the snow Camo and green versions of the King’s. But they carry more moisture than the others. Not As bullet proof. But again quietest, which is odd because most of their other products are too noisy.

26-Aug-20

BULELK1's Link
+1 Jay

I've always had good wearing with these Iddy

See my link above,

Robb

26-Aug-20
Following this one! I have the Kuiu gaiters. Punctured them the very first day I wore them in Alaska, and broke off one of the snaps that secure them across the top of my boot. I will say that without them I would have shredded my pants, but I didn't expect to run a stick through them on day one.

26-Aug-20
If you get the Kenetreks be sure to get the camo ones, the solid color ones are made of a different material and are louder.. I like my kuius as well

26-Aug-20
I have kenetrek and once I cut the strap out and replaced it with para cord they work fine, no sag and no sliding down the calf. I also have the mid rei gators for dry days.

26-Aug-20

Rut Nut's Link
You WON'T puncture THESE! ;-)

26-Aug-20
Whats the difference between the XKG and the Weather Pro?

26-Aug-20
X2 on Kings, especially for being quiet. I'm a bit of a prude on gaitors, keep buying them looking for the perfect ones.

26-Aug-20
Kuiu are hard to heat for hunting in my opinion. But, they don’t ride down my calf either. I have a pair of OR crocs that I love. I use them when the snow depth is over about 5 inches. They don’t get water logged. Not that the kuiu’s do badly. Buy, they definitely do hold water where the crocs won’t.

If I could only have one pair, it’d be the crocs. Both are excellent though. The crocs are just tougher. I’ve put on many a mile cruising timber and hunting in them with zero issues.

26-Aug-20
The weather Pros are the quieter model

26-Aug-20
The XKG's are Stiffer~~more tighter feeling.....

Enjoy,

Robb

26-Aug-20

27-Aug-20
Perfect is tough to find with anything. I like the kuius and IMO are quieter than most. Do they make gaiter suspenders? Kinda like old Jewish men use to hold up their socks? =D

Issues with quiet are normally quiet tends to hold moisture and burrs. If it's really wet for several days and no chance to dry them they are heavy. I have a pair of day one fleece gaiters that are super quiet and keep you real dry, but when they soak up you can feel their weight with every step. And in burr country they start to look like ghillie gaiters pretty fast.

27-Aug-20
Duck tape works for me. ;)

27-Aug-20
Cant beat the OR.

27-Aug-20
Rivers west neoprene

http://www.riverswest.com/boot-gaiter.html

28-Aug-20
Been using the newest version of sitka storm fronts, got about 25-30 days on them so far, they been solid. I like them better then my OR crocs

28-Aug-20
The brown camo Kennetreks are my favorites. The KUIU are way too noisy for my preferences.

29-Aug-20
All you kuiu guys, do the yukons get too warm during September elk?

• Sitka Gear