Norseman 27-Aug-20
YZF-88 27-Aug-20
butcherboy 28-Aug-20
Shug 30-Aug-20
Matt 30-Aug-20
25-Aug-20

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Trying my hand at spot and stalk mule deer hunting this year for the first time. I anticipate taking my boots off and putting some thick wool socks on over my regular socks to close the final distance.

I was thinking about putting some boot insoles between the pairs of socks to help cushion my feet. I was wondering if anybody has tried this or what experienced stalkers thoughts are about the idea...

Thanks.

25-Aug-20
No never have tried that. But I like the no cushion of socks as it forces you to walk slowly as you can feel pinecones and sticks under your feet

25-Aug-20
Any thoughts into trying to secure the insoles to the outer pair of socks in some way, so they don’t want slip off to one side or the other? Some type of adhesive, maybe? What about a pair “Sorel” bootie type liners?

25-Aug-20
No never have tried that. But I like the no cushion of socks as it forces you to walk slowly as you can feel pinecones and sticks under your feet

26-Aug-20

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo
I spot and stalk noisy clear cuts.... liners of rubber boots are the best thing for sneaking up close.

26-Aug-20
You'll likely slide off the insoles as there is little friction to hold them in place between the socks.

26-Aug-20
That seems like a reasonable idea to me Mike. Let us know if it works!

26-Aug-20
Viabram five fingers ....

26-Aug-20
Have you considered stitching the liners inside the outer pair of socks, so that they don't slide around?

Matt

26-Aug-20
Are you going to be in steep country?

My issue with socks is the lack of grip when sneaking up or down a slope. Can feel like your walking on ice and easy to slip and make noise. Wearing only socks you can use your toes to grip a little bit, if you put the insoles in you'll lose that ability. I wouldn't do it.

26-Aug-20
Double sided tape

26-Aug-20
Just get some leather soled moccasins or these : https://www.acorn.com/products/the-original-acorn-slipper-sock

26-Aug-20
I like the idea Mike, easy to attach with self adhesive Velcro!

26-Aug-20
Duck tape is a marvelous problem fixer.

26-Aug-20
The duct tape idea might work, I'm afraid other than that the socks will slide around clean up to ankle height or more unless on flat ground. I tried similar ideas before I bought lace up moccasins. Unbelievable how much junk socks will pick up also:( Can be a pair a outing around here.

26-Aug-20
I bought some thin leather shoe inserts that I put in my heavy socks. Works pretty good, nothin got through yet in So Cal.. AZ in January will be the real test.

26-Aug-20
Last time I dropped my boots on a stalk, I ended up going several miles and a lot of elevation to get them back. Same unit you are in. Over a lot of scree rock. In the rain, then sleet, then snow. It was a long miserable day and my feet were tore up!

Had to take a few days off just to get my feet healed up!

Left a backpack, snuck down and killed a buck several thousand feet below it once. Really, really sucked hiking back up there for that pack... Won’t do that again either!

Now I leave them on!!!

A lot of bucks have died above treeline with my boots And pack on....

You will probably have more issues with your clothes rubbing brush than making too much noise with your boots. Fancy Sitka and KUIU tends to be really noisy and unnatural sounding in the brush. Mule deer have big ears and hear really, really good.

Wool is the absolute best for quiet, and warmth. Far better than any of the fancy hunting clothes. A pair of grey wool army surplus pants and a camo, solid grey or plaid wool shirt works great! Does not matter what camo you have on, they will catch you moving. You will get cold hunting up there.

I use softer soles boots and move real slow, being very careful about where I put my feet down. Those stiff soled boots like for backpacking are way too noisy. Have a couple pair of old, well broken in boots with soft soles that still have traction enough for climbing steep tundra and rocks.

Whole different ball game than elk!

Good luck!

26-Aug-20
I have used that exact idea of the insoles inside of socks and I really like the protection. Downside is of that mentioned... Your feet slide around on the insoles. I just then used tighter wool socks, which helped a bunch. More involved solution would be to adhere the insole to the bottom of the outside of the sock as suggested, or to put some grip tape on top of the insole so your foot won't slip around. Very light and good solution for sneaky feet though IMO.

26-Aug-20
The strap on over boot sneaky feet deals work. Just becomes a pain to stop and put them on and then take them off.

They suck on the rocks or steep tundra slopes.

They don’t last long in the terrain up there. Maybe good for a couple of long stalks.

26-Aug-20
Maybe look at wrestling shoes.

27-Aug-20

Thanks for all the input guys. I might give the insoles a try depending on the situation. I'm heading out this morning so not much more time for experimenting or R&D. I do have a pair of these Baer's Feet that I've had for 20 years but they're not very good when it's steep either.

27-Aug-20
I put silicone on. The leather inse, keeps it from sliding Round.

27-Aug-20
Why don't you carry some very thick Canadian wool socks. Time comes slip the over the boot

27-Aug-20
I did it once. Put a sneak on some elk in noisy rocky terrain. It got too dark for a shot. I went back to get my boots and could not find them any where. LOl. Had to hike out and back in to get them the next day. Never could figure out how I missed them. Luck!

27-Aug-20
Cholla cactus will make a guy change his mind about heavy socks. Some type of overboot is about the only thing that will work in the low deserts of AZ. Baers Feet or something similar work best. Even then they pick up mesquite and cactus but at least you don't have a cholla ball hanging off of your toe.

27-Aug-20

Norseman 's embedded Photo
Norseman 's embedded Photo
Get some plush nylon backing carpet. Cut to fit and shoe goo onto old running shoes. Why throw them out?

I remove the hard bottom rubber sole first and glue onto the foam part of the sole to give more feel and help cushion what you step on (ie sticks). Comfy and quiet as heLL. And they won’t slip around like bears feet, etc. been doing this for 25 years. I make a new pair every year Cut extra to wrap up Around the toe and heel, the carpet will stay on longer. And run a bead of glue along the edge once the bottom glue dries

27-Aug-20
That is something I may try. Looks genius!

27-Aug-20
I carry a pair of leather moccasins for just this reason.

27-Aug-20
Crocs baby! They are light, quiet and can be slipped on and off super easy. I know they are hideous but I always take a pair hunting with me, they feel great after wearing heavy hunting boots for hours. Plus they let your boots air out and dry. Don't judge me lol

27-Aug-20
Broc Croc! Here’s your sign! ??

27-Aug-20
I kind of split the difference and hunt with thinner grippy Solomon’s to get semi close and at elevation. Then I go with a 2nd pair of socks.

I did make the climb In socks once once and killed a buck...but had to call a buddy for help packing it out since my feet were rough. It was a bottom of the 9th situation for deer that year though.

28-Aug-20
I like the idea of glueing carpet to the bottom of a lightweight sneaker. I will never stock an animal in just socks. I have super sensitive feet and my kids love to take advantage of it all the time! Lol

30-Aug-20

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I made these a couple of weeks ago for a mule deer hunt...

30-Aug-20
Shug, sidehill on those before you try them in game. You know where I blacktail hunt and we have tried a lot of things over the years and I rarely take my boots off anymore. The soft stuff just doesn't have the grip.

• Sitka Gear