Ucsdryder 28-Aug-20
BULELK1 29-Aug-20
Jaquomo 29-Aug-20
PO Cedar 29-Aug-20
JRABQ 29-Aug-20
Trophyhill 29-Aug-20
spike78 29-Aug-20
26-Aug-20
I have carried around an 8oz spray bottle with a 50% white vinegar and 50% water mix which we use to spray meat while breaking down an animal when the bees are bad. Anyone else doing this? I know some carry pepper. What else do folks use?

26-Aug-20
Never tried any of that stuff. I've started wearing a cut proof glove on my off hand and a nitrile glove on my cutting hand. Seems like the only times I've gotten stung is when I accidentally grab one.

I do always carry a couple benedryl tabs in my pack. I've never had a bad allergic reaction to any sting but they can happen and there seems to be a number of opportunities to get stung when out elk hunting.

26-Aug-20
They've never stung me when breaking down an elk, however...I was cold calling once, and beating a log with a stick...turned out, it was a meat bee nest.

They tore me a new one...I got hit about 15 times, mostly around my face, ears and neck. Had to sneak back around the swarm, to retrieve my gear!

26-Aug-20
Just ignore them and get to work!

27-Aug-20
I haven't brought anything along, I figure its a good problem to have!

27-Aug-20
Jeff I did the same thing last year. I took off downhill and lost them but not before my neck was stung 2-3 times. Thank goodness o had my jacket on.

27-Aug-20
Black pepper keeps bees and flies away!

27-Aug-20
Put a little piece of meat aside away from the carcass and let them eat, just close enough they smell it and can find it near your kill.

27-Aug-20
I do what Aspen Ghost does, cut proof glove on one hand, nitrile on the other, meat goes into game bags as it comes off the carcass, and I swat the bees that get in my way...

27-Aug-20
Yeah...wasn't thinking about bees on me....just eating my damn meat....er.....elk kill.

27-Aug-20
Yep, filet glove on my "handling" hand. Seems like the ones that sting are the ones tucked into crevices in the meat.

27-Aug-20
I had a front row seat from my saddle to a bear coming into a wallow last yr. She started tearing apart a stump 16 yds from me looking for a bee hive...but it was yellow jackets...hundreds of them swarmed her face and her cubs ran off. She trotted into a small thick Shrub at the base of my tree trying to wipe them off of her for about 5 minutes. Too funny.

I've been stung 3x on one hand and since I'm allergic to the stings [with my benedryl in my other pack] my arm swole up to 2x- very uncomfortable.

I think the key is to get that animal broken down ASAP. This one,I was solo, I had hiked out to get my frame pack and by the time I came back the bull was covered in yellowjackets.

27-Aug-20
Black pepper. It's light weight and effective.

And thanks for the reminder to fill a zip lock of pepper and put it in my pack!

Matt

27-Aug-20
When we are truck camping and weight is not a problem, I always bring an el cheapo screened in canopy. We butcher the meat inside the screened area. Butchering when the bees are really out is a nightmare. When quartering in the field we try to get into game bags as soon as possible. Some years the bees are much worse than other years.

27-Aug-20
Jeff I did the same thing last year. I took off downhill and lost them but not before my neck was stung 2-3 times. Thank goodness o had my jacket on.

27-Aug-20
They are wasps, not bee’s, just in case you are wondering...

27-Aug-20
I shot s bear years ago that had meat bees and hive in its stomach. Liked spicy food. Someone on here years ago had an elk die right on top of a meat bee hive. He said it was a war. I’ve capped out an elk during one of those horrific bee years. I put on nitrile gloves and went to work. It was a constant buzz of wings. There were hundreds flying around me. I only got stung once when one got pinched in between my fingers.

27-Aug-20
Yup, the bees, (ones I had were no doubt - yellow jackets - not wasps) at times, really suck.

Got set up pre-daylight once - just as the sun came up got stung once on the upper leg, then second time same place the third time in the hand and I started looking around, sure enough sat right on the entrance. Cleared out for 10 minutes, came back and got my pack and found a different spot.

27-Aug-20
Yellow jackets are vespid wasps, not bees. I’m an entomologist so that kind of thing counts for me.

28-Aug-20
Dang yellow bugs, they’re the devils pets.

28-Aug-20
If the wind isn't bad my Thermacell works great just hanging it from the antler.

One Antelope hunts I like that Liquid Game Bag stuff.

Good luck, Robb

28-Aug-20
I agree. Yellowjackets, and they hurt like hell. Also will chase you down as you run off screaming and cursing if you disturb their nest.

28-Aug-20
Bees give it their all in defense...... lay their lives on the line for that one shot.....

Wasps have high capacity mags.....

28-Aug-20
Ahhh...I thought you were talking about actual meat bees. They’re about the size of a fly. At least that’s what we always called them. Yellowjackets usually leave you alone and I just keep working. I’m cautious where I put my hand when they’re bad. The bald faced hornets are a different story. They did whenever I get a chance to kill them. Be careful though. They’ll chase your ass down a mountain and into a pond.

29-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

29-Aug-20
We have big black hornets that don't bother us but snatch blowflies off the meat and fly away to suck their miserable husks. I love those critters.

29-Aug-20
White vinegar mixed with black pepper in a spray bottle..no noticable flavor to the meat...

29-Aug-20
Couple years ago I stopped by a camp to chat with some guys cutting up an elk. One guy couldn't talk, he had picked up an open can of coke, took a swallow, yellow jacket was in the can and stung him on his tongue. Ouch!!

29-Aug-20
meat bee's. hate em. i prefer to kill in the evening if I can. less to deal with just before dark.

Black hornets? are those the bald face hornets?

29-Aug-20
Got stung twice this year by yellow jackets. I’m honestly starting to hate them more then ticks and skeeters.

• Sitka Gear