GrantK 02-Sep-20
KHunter 04-Sep-20
'Ike' (Phone) 04-Sep-20
Medicinemann 04-Sep-20
28-Aug-20

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
Ed used beetles instead of boiling so skull is perfect and gleaming white.
KHunter's embedded Photo
Ed used beetles instead of boiling so skull is perfect and gleaming white.
KHunter's embedded Photo
A great feeling putting ram back in my hands. Darn Covid put off this “reunion” for months.
KHunter's embedded Photo
A great feeling putting ram back in my hands. Darn Covid put off this “reunion” for months.
KHunter's embedded Photo
A few shots from the hunt.
KHunter's embedded Photo
A few shots from the hunt.
Just for fun.

Yesterday I picked up what may well end up my only ever sheep—an archery Colo ram from 2019 . I know a lot of guys go all in on on full body etc. mounts for such “once in a lifetime” critters. I killed a really nice ram so “everybody” kinda said variations of “You can’t do a euro with that! “ I choose a euro even before the hunt started. Being able to pick it up and hold it seemed, and really is now that I have it, a cool option. No regrets.

Anyone else doing/thinking same with OIL sheep? While we wait to see how 2020 hunts pan out, let’s see those sheep euros and hear why you are glad you choose euro. Or even if there are regrets with the choice made.

No regrets here. Ed Schlein at Elk Ridge taxi did a terrific job! And yes it is awesome to be able to pick it up, etc. A heavy ram tends to rest nose pointing straight up so a make-do wooden spoon for now props it the way I want on the bar in living room.

28-Aug-20
Very nice!

28-Aug-20
Outstanding! Great ram. Many guys Euro the horns and have a replica made for the full mount as well.

28-Aug-20
Ya that's super cool. Congrats

28-Aug-20
Looks great. Congratulations. I can understand how nice it is to pick it up and hold it in your hands. A great way to relive the hunt. Nicely done.

28-Aug-20

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
It looks awesome. I chose to do a shoulder mount on my ram from last season, mainly because he had such a nice dark cape. I've had the euroed skull sitting on my floor for months now. If we hadn't found a nice road killed ram I may have opted for a euro only but with so many skulls laying around the shoulder mount works for us. He's a great accomplishment for you, con grats sir, well done!

Here is my ram ans the road kill we found on state land.

28-Aug-20
I think Euro on any animal look cool! Congrats to you Kirby!

28-Aug-20
Very cool.. my guess is this is an animal with the least amount of euro’s done. My once in a lifetime is half body..

28-Aug-20
Good decision! I mounted my first one, had the horns of my second around the house for a year or so and it was always in someone's hands. You just can't describe the weight of a massive ram until you pick them up. I ended up with a pedestal for the second and as great as it turned out, nothing beats a set of horns of the table.

28-Aug-20
Very cool! Now I guess I'll have to do at least a "twice in a lifetime" hunt so I can do one of each.

Just curious, does having an euro mount put more interest/importance in looking at the field photos either for yourself or others? That would be a cool side benefit of getting to relive the hunt through pictures again.

28-Aug-20
My wife and I just talked about this last night. If I'm lucky enough to kill a big boy on my trophy elk unit hunt this year, we've decided to do a Euro, as well. That was fine with me, since it will make the after-kill chores easier.

Those Euro rams look beautiful!! Hopefully one day I'll be blessed to kill one of those critters.

Matt

28-Aug-20
Euro the original horns, have a replica made of them for a mount. Best of both worlds! I like fondling my sheep euro, there’s something special about it but I also love staring at a high quality sheep mount. Congrats on your ram!

28-Aug-20
Great ram! And yes I did a euro on my CO archery bighorn and my sons Dall ram! I like them.

Did you sell the cape? I heard you can get over $1000++ for it. I didn’t think about it til after the hunt:(

28-Aug-20

Treeline's embedded Photo
Desert and Rocky skulls
Treeline's embedded Photo
Desert and Rocky skulls
I did a life-size on my Dall. Don’t think I will do that again. Takes up a lot of space. Probably should have done a wall pedestal.

The two skulls are pickups. One Rocky and one Desert. It’s really neat to pick them up and handle them. Who knows, I may never get the chance to kill either one.

Both of these skulls get a lot of attention.

If I am lucky enough to get another ram, I will do a euro on the skull and mount a replica.

28-Aug-20
My only suggestion would be to secure your euro soon before it gets bumped off the table. The only euro I have is a WT buck from 10 years ago that came out very nice and I'm glad I did it that way it's a very rugged look in my opinion. Congratulations on an awesome ram and I'm sure an experience you'll never forget!

28-Aug-20
That is so cool!!!!!

28-Aug-20
As someone else said, save the cape and sell it. You'll make someone very happy and get a nice chunk of change for it. I did a life size on my archery Bighorn and still regret not doing a life size on my Dall (did a shoulder). Sheep are special and I could never do a Euro on them. To each their own. Nice ram!

28-Aug-20

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Archery CO bighorn
Archery CO bighorn
Dall’s
Dall’s
9.75” nanny
9.75” nanny
Here are a few “OIL” euros

28-Aug-20
I'm totally doing a euro if I ever kill a sheep...

28-Aug-20
I’m doing both

I’m doing a euro on my Dall and having replicas made for life size

28-Aug-20

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
I had my second Rocky Mountain Bighorn made into a Euro and I am glad I did. I got a price from a taxidermist for a full size hide before the hunt and sold it to him before I left the area.

28-Aug-20
If I ever kill a sheep a euro will definitely be on the table.

28-Aug-20
They all look great.

goyt, you better take a good look before you plop down on the couch.

28-Aug-20
“Did you sell the cape? I heard you can get over $1000++ for it. “

Per the Colo regs on that issue.....”No Comment”

29-Aug-20
Beautiful congrats.

29-Aug-20
Impressive!

29-Aug-20
Very nice Kirby!! That looks cool, just can't seem to convince the wife they look cool.

29-Aug-20
Man that's incredible looking. When you're used to whitetail Euro mounts the size of the bases on those horns is awe inspiring. I got a whole new appreciation for how much force is transmitted through all that bone and horn when those animals are smashing heads. Way cooler than I thought it would be, congratulations. I am inspired!

29-Aug-20
That looks great Khunter!

30-Aug-20
As others have said, for a OIL, I'd replica the euro and mount the rep....I agree there is nothing like being able to pick up and fondle the real thing....i miss it with my Dall, even tho I can still touch the pedestal whenever i want.

31-Aug-20
I have a lifesize Desert and three shoulder mounted rockys in the house, with a dall at the taxidermist now. The euros are definitely cool, but I just can't imagine not mounting one of these magnificent animals. I guess it really just boils down to personal preference. By the way, congratulations on a stud of a Colorado ram!

02-Sep-20
did all of you with euros use a taxidermist with beetles? I have a lion killed ram I found that I have been meaning to euro for a while now but havent been able to find much info about if it's possible to boil or if beetles are necessary for sheep... that said, if I ever get a tag I will be doing a euro for sure, this thread confirms that for me.

04-Sep-20
Mine was done with beetles. No question it will come out better with beetles IMO.

04-Sep-20
Awesome!

04-Sep-20
Very nice!!

• Sitka Gear