Ermine 28-Aug-20
Bou'bound 29-Aug-20
Jaquomo 29-Aug-20
COLO 3-D 31-Aug-20
Treeline 31-Aug-20
Ucsdryder 31-Aug-20
Ucsdryder 31-Aug-20
28-Aug-20
SAD to see how the Colorado Bow hunters ASS choose to eliminate the best 5 days of the mule deer archery season in Colorado this year. But wait it will get worse in years to come..

Just wanted to remind folks who like to hunt deer to thank the old ass for eliminating the best days from our season..

But hey it is not as bad as in a couple years when mule deer hunters will have all of 5 days before muzzy hunters and high power rifles are hunting the same animals as archery guys. Needless to say this is the biggest screw over to fellow archery hunters by the the "elk only CBA" ever...........

So thanks CBA for royally screwing over us mule deer hunters...

28-Aug-20
Huh. Interesting. And here all these years I thought it was the Commission that set dates based on recommendations from CPW managers and biologists. Guess I was badly mistaken.

28-Aug-20
Yeah I’m confused.

28-Aug-20
This was a big concern for me as well and yes the CBA supported the new season dates and basically sacrificed the deer hunters in order to appease the elk hunters. In many ways I feel that the issue was ignored because everyone was all worried about elk and in many ways the CBA went with the majority which is expected.

It was a hard pill to swallow for dedicated deer hunters as were really did get screwed.

28-Aug-20
So the CBA is plotting against bowhunters? As I recall they did an in-depth survey of their members and presented to CPW those recommendations as requested by their membership. The final structure was decided by the game managers and biologists.

28-Aug-20
Can't have it both ways. No way CPW would give Archery deer 2 weeks in Aug, and Archery Elk til end of Sept. People have to stop thinking selfishly and understand how everything fits together. Hunters especially need to work together or there will be NO SEASONS dates to complain about!!

28-Aug-20
Wow, CBA must have way more power than I thought if they're setting season dates now! I guess if Jahvada doesn't fill his deer tag he can keep up his whining, but if he DOES fill his tag, he'll come on here and apologize to CBA for saying stupid things...right, Jahvada?

28-Aug-20
I’m in the boat that likes the changes..

28-Aug-20
Since cba has so much power can they veto the wolf intro and bring back spring bear? Thanks!

28-Aug-20
100% but I’m not sure CBA is really to blame? When it happens I’ll be working to push for an early “traditional archery” season as these 90 yard compounds keep shortening our seasons.

The way things are going out west seasons are only going to get shorter and tags harder to get unless we take it back a step on technology.

Also, muzzie season is so dumb. Extra rifle season imo

28-Aug-20
Thank you for all you did CBA! I appreciate the new season structure!

28-Aug-20
The problem is most members of the CBA are only part time bow hunters and part time gun hunters. So seasons don’t matter to guys the go both ways. Several years back there was a proposal that is you had to choose either bow or rifle. If you bought a archery tag all other tags would have to be archery and same for rifle. The would’ve greatly cut the numbers of so called bow hunters. CBA fought to stop this also.

28-Aug-20
The CBA went into the meetings with all these demands for the CPW. CPW said nope, how about splitting the season? CBA cried and said no, how about these dates? CPW said nope, how about these dates. It was finally settled on the dates that the CBA would stop crying about. Yes, the list of demands by the CBA, wanting more of September to hunt elk cause they felt the rut was later now then it was ten years ago. The CPW wouldn't allow them more days in the field like the CBA wanted. A line was drawn by CPW that it was either this way or that way, not your way.

28-Aug-20
Mr anti cba is way late lol

28-Aug-20
Interesting whipranger. I've been a CBA member since the 70s when it started and don't remember anything ever being proposed by CPW/DOW to force anyone to choose a single weapon for a whole season for any and all species hunted. I've attended public hearings on season structures for decades, focus groups, and the Sportsman's Roundtable. No other state does anything like this either. Makes no sense, since we already have a "choose your weapon" rule for individual species.

28-Aug-20
Also, this would only affect residents who hunt multiple species, because NRs who come to bowhunt, bowhunt. And vice versa. I think you may be confused.

28-Aug-20
When the current season structure was decided the CPW had a handful of meetings consisting of only 5-10 people. These were invitation only meetings, People asked to attend were from different groups or individuals that were nominated by CPW staff. They were given time to come up with several structures. Then all the options were discussed then voted on. I can tell you for a fact that the CPW did not go with the options that received the most votes. I know this because my father was one of the selected few for one of the meetings. Jaquomo open meetings are held to let the public feel they have a say in what happens. So since the 70s you wasted a lot of evenings talking to a wall.

28-Aug-20
Hopefully Grasshopper will chime in because he was in the middle of the meetings. Even the "super secret" meetings you allude to.

28-Aug-20
And no, CPW didn't go with anything that got the most votes, because each user group wanted a bigger piece of the pie than all the others. Archers wanted 6 weeks. They have always been very clear that we would never get more than 30 days. There are people within CPW who don't want is to have that. Very few wanted a split season like NM. The majority of bowhunters are elk hunters and didn't want the season set back into August just to appease a few deer hunters. That's fact.

28-Aug-20
“I think you may confused”

Classic. Who needs Hollywood, I’m going to make some movie style popcorn and enjoy the show. Who needs $100 million dollar movies when there is a CBA conspiracy theory!

Thank you CBA for fighting the good fight.

28-Aug-20
One of the most agreed upon options was to have deer start I think it was on aug 15 or 20 and then end similarly sept 15 or 20. Elk was set sept 1 till end of month which would have been a great structure

28-Aug-20
Yes, it was a popular option among bowhunters and outfitters. Except it would put archers in the woods for 6 weeks. The biologists were against this for a number of reasons, which your father fully understands. It was not so popular among rifle hunters who only get five or seven days.

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what to have for supper". Benjamin Franklin.

28-Aug-20
BTW, I've been part of focus groups before, and know exactly how they work. They make representatives of the different user groups feel like they have a say in the process, then they do what the managers and biologists recommend.

28-Aug-20
I recall the CBA lobbying for deer to not be moved to Sept 2.

28-Aug-20
It’s a big bummer for me that deer got bumped back. I voted to have early season. But I think majority of the hunters wanted the season going longer into September

29-Aug-20
How menu members are in the CBA. a relative handful compared to hunters in the state. They basically don’t have Any voice

29-Aug-20
True, Bou, but as hunters go, CBA has the largest and strongest lobbying voice. Some years ago a high ranking official in CDOW told me if it wasn't for the "damned CBA" they could get bowhunters and muzzleloaders lumped into one 2 week season and "out of their hair". He didn't know I was a CBA member or a bowhunter.

31-Aug-20
We have discussed this via PM, but I will try again here, in a more public format. I am with you in missing these early days as I know they are more easily patterned while in velvet. This was a point I made several times in the Board Meetings for CBA, as a Board Member. The fact is, the VAST majority of the members who responded to multiple surveys wanted a 9/1-30 archery season. If the CBA did not follow the will of our membership, we would be a very poor organization indeed!

When it became apparent that this was the way it would go for elk, I suggested we try to tie the archery deer season to archery antelope, 8/15-9/15. We had some support on this, but ultimately got shot down.

You will not find a more passionate archery mule deer hunter than me and as such, I did not like the decision, but understood it represented the will of the people. As for how the 1st became the 2nd, that was a decision that was made above our pay grade. We argued for a 9/1 start, but it was ultimately decided by CPW that it would start on the 2nd along with bear and turkey.

31-Aug-20
Rifle hunters get all of September. They also get October, November, December and even into January...

Bowhunters now have to share the woods with rifle hunters every single day of the archery season now. And throw in muzzle loaders for deer and elk for 10 days out of the 30.

We have direct competition with rifle hunters every day of the archery season for bears statewide.

We have direct competition with rifle hunters for early deer seasons in many units west of I25 for 10 days out of the 30. Muzzle loaders are up there either at the same time or for 10 days on either side to make 20 days of direct competition with bowhunters. Basically archery deer is cut off after day one of those rifle or muzzle loader hunts because the deer move out of the open high country with any pressure.

At least they stopped the Eagle County public land cow elk season that was right on top of archery! However, there are still a ton of rifle cow elk private land tags that are right on top of archery season as well.

Throw in a few rifle sheep and goat hunters for icing on the top.

Damn, September is more crowded than the “rifle” seasons!

31-Aug-20
Why do muzzleloaders get 2 weekends of a 4 weekend season? Saturday through Friday should be more than enough.

31-Aug-20
Why do muzzleloaders get 2 weekends of a 4 weekend season? Saturday through Friday should be more than enough.

• Sitka Gear