WI Shedhead 28-Aug-20
Treeline 28-Aug-20
txhunter58 28-Aug-20
Thornton 30-Aug-20
Jaquomo 30-Aug-20
Quinn @work 30-Aug-20
jordanathome 30-Aug-20
28-Aug-20
After Colorado Elk season start, Can none resident buy Elk OTC at Walmart store or We need to buy at Colorado Parks and Wildlife office?

28-Aug-20
Any CPW vendor, like walmart or Jax, can sell you an OTC elk tag for archery.

If you buy online they warn you USPS is taking 30 days to deliver and the temp number they give you is good only for 14 days I think....makes alot of sense.

28-Aug-20
Looks like Temp. Licenses are good for 45 days. Just need your TAN ( temporary authorization number) on hand.

28-Aug-20
I think and maybe be wrong but if you wait until after the start of season to buy a tag you will have going to a CPW office.

28-Aug-20
This is from brochure, page 4 bottom left of page. I guess what I said above is true except for OTC archery licenses.

UNLIMITED LICENSES: OVER-THE-COUNTER (OTC) On sale starting August 6 (9 a.m. MT) Available in person at sales agents (cpw.state.co.us/license-agents), by phone at 1-800-244-5613 or online: cpw.state.co.us (click "Buy and Apply") After the season starts, they are available at CPW locations only — except for OTC archery elk, OTC plains rifle either-sex elk and OTC archery pronghorn licenses, which can be purchased at any sales agent.

28-Aug-20

MHB's Link
From page 4 of the big game book:

UNLIMITED LICENSES: OVER-THE-COUNTER (OTC) On sale starting August 6 (9 a.m. MT) Available in person at sales agents (cpw.state.co.us/license-agents), by phone at 1-800-244-5613 or online: cpw.state.co.us (click "Buy and Apply") After the season starts, they are available at CPW locations only — except for OTC archery elk, OTC plains rifle either-sex elk and OTC archery pronghorn licenses, which can be purchased at any sales agent.

Looks like this was updated recently to allow OTC archery tags to be purchased from any license agent after the start of the season.

I would still recommend calling to verify this. If you show up on a Friday after 4:00PM or a weekend and are unable to purchase a tag you lose a few days of your hunt.

Matt B

28-Aug-20
Plus I believe it requires cash only at vendors. At least it does at the ones in Kremmling.

28-Aug-20
Jmc- I agree with having to work with people but we’re customers too. What biological reason was thier for shoving it into September. ? They claim the want the cwd laden mature deer cropped off. Isn’t the last week in August the best chance for an archer to kill one of these? They should have gave up the last week in September and added it to the head end. Same season length everyone is happy. But what do I know. I keep throwing +600$ at the preference point system for me and my family for tags we never draw- financing the decisions

28-Aug-20
Shedhead, think you have the wrong thread... But to your point, your suggestion is exactly how it was before the change. Elk hunters (the majority of CO bowhunters) gladly gave up the last week in August to get the last week in September. Archery deer hunters don't kill enough deer to make a blip on the CWD screen, so biology doesn't even play into it.

28-Aug-20
It was the wrong thread. I’m losing my mind

28-Aug-20
Bow season was shoved into September with the same dates as rifle bear for the biological reason that the CO’s didn’t want to have to work in the field the last week in August all the way to the end of September!

Same biological reason for the “quiet” two or three weeks after archery till first rifle...

28-Aug-20
Bowhunting has always been the exception. Because it’s season is so long, they let you buy a tag at Walmart anytime before OR during the season. Any other season, once it starts, you have to buy at a CPW office.

30-Aug-20
They make you go to a parks office to purchase if season has already started. If it is before season, you can get them at any vendor.

30-Aug-20
Sigh... you can buy an OTC elk tag at any license vendor - Wal Mart, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc... Aleays best to read through a thread before posting incorrect information. .

30-Aug-20
Well Thornton only gun hunts in CO so I’m not surprised at his post. :)

30-Aug-20
LOL...so we went full circle to the first response to this post now. Too funny.

• Sitka Gear