Brun 02-Sep-20
Dclark 02-Sep-20
BK 03-Sep-20
Highlife 03-Sep-20
lewis 03-Sep-20
badbull 04-Sep-20
Monarchcx 12-Sep-20
28-Aug-20
So I have a 12 year knob creek, Belle Meade Reserve and a couple of my daily favs....Old Forester 100 proof bourbons. Which one for elk camp? The Belle Meade is something tasty.

28-Aug-20
Basil Hayden's not a bad choice. Then again less bourbon might increase odds of eating elk steak and not tag soup!

28-Aug-20
1792 is nothing to fancy, but it’s a hit at my place (with me)

28-Aug-20
This is for celebration purposes. Of course, lots of potential reasons to celebrate. Like, sundown. A big chit. Good meal. Breathing. Bugles.

28-Aug-20
Good thing celebration purposes is not just a dead elk. That 12 year knob creek would be 12 year + 12 years ;)

28-Aug-20
Can’t go wrong with any choice.

28-Aug-20
I’m a maker’s guy, but Buffalo Trace also has a spot in the line-up.

28-Aug-20
Amen SS! I bring Evan Williams in the 750 ML plastic. Hide them here and there. I know, I have a problem.

A bottle of Aquavit is always on ice to go with the rare tenderloin celebration meal.

28-Aug-20
Ghostwood

28-Aug-20

jordanathome's Link

28-Aug-20
Good ol Jimmy Beam!

28-Aug-20
If it is bourbon, it's all good!

28-Aug-20
I second the Basin Hayden! Good stuff! Buffalo trace if on a budget.

28-Aug-20

28-Aug-20
Makers for special occasion. Ancient Age otherwise.

28-Aug-20
Evan Williams or Ezra Brooks

28-Aug-20
F U John. LOL ;)

28-Aug-20
I'm a Buffalo Trace fan myself. May not be too fancy but it always hits the spot for any occasion

28-Aug-20
At 72 and starting at 16 I've got over half a century of drinking bourbon. I still like Beam but it's really hard to beat Knob Creek. Have one in hand now.

What I don't like is Maker's Mark. It has an aftertaste I don't like.

Take the Knob Creek.

Oh, they make a good rye too.

28-Aug-20
The 12 year old Knob Creek is a clear winner, just add 1/3 cold water. You pay more but but by adding water to lower the 120 proof the price is worth it. Basil Hayden is ok if you like kissing your sister.

28-Aug-20
Bullet 10year.

29-Aug-20

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This...except what's left isn't gonna make it to my bow camp in two days.....

29-Aug-20
Definitely get some Blantons.

29-Aug-20
I'm cheap in this regard.... I enjoy Evan Williams Honey Bourbon on ice. With the bottle stored in the freezer on ice. LOL

29-Aug-20

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Let’s see what’s in the cellar

29-Aug-20
Oh it’s just a little “Weller”

29-Aug-20
Blantons is my fav( my 4th and last bottle will be in elk camp) but Im loving Bullet 10 year. Certainly easier to get.

29-Aug-20
Yes to all I always look for Buffalo T but sometimes hard to find in my area. So I tried Elijah Craig what a great find The Godfather of bourbon

29-Aug-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
You live in Colorado!

29-Aug-20
No one mentioned Woodford Reserve. I'm either sipping that or Knob Creek.

29-Aug-20
It's always benchmark or Pendleton (whisky) for me.

Take the knob!

29-Aug-20
I have tried most and personally would choose Woodford over anything

29-Aug-20
C’mon Nick... Stranahans? I’m a Colorado guy and was excited to try it, afterwards I was equally as excited to never drink it again. If you gotta go Colorado “Fireside” Is waaay better.

29-Aug-20
Wood ford reserve is my #2 that’s good stuff too!!!

29-Aug-20
I am a potato vodka guy but do like Makers or Knob Creek are both very smooth. Shawn

29-Aug-20
GruntGobble for the win... I am not an Elk hunter but I do enjoy Boubyn! My pocket can afford green label Evan.... now if some of you gents want to pay it forward I will gladly taste test and review your choices.

In return I will pay forward in the box toys I acquired while working for a major toy manufacturer... ahw heck just pm me bout some needy families and I will send them some presents, I need to clean out my attic! scentman

29-Aug-20
Three come to mind... Four Roses private selection, Angel's Envy and Colonel E.H. Taylor. They all come with a fairly hefty price tag but are soooo good.

29-Aug-20
I like Angel's Envy.

29-Aug-20
I actually like the Belle Meade a bit more than the KC12.....shock. I love me some Weller OWA 107. The 12 year Weller doesn't pop for me. The one bottle of BTAC WLW was the absolute most amazing sip I have ever had......hands down....makes me tear up to remember since it is now all gone. Hope my liqour guy hooks me up again this fall. I am not into standing in line or raffles......I am into walking into the store and my guy walking up with a surprise bottle of hard to find goodness. Enjoy!

29-Aug-20

Shb's embedded Photo
Shb's embedded Photo

29-Aug-20
For the Basil Hayden's haters, try their 10 year. TOTALLY different and very good. But nothing can beat Blantons if you can find it.

29-Aug-20
Hard to beat Larceny also like Blanton and Bibb and Tuckers stay safe Lewis

29-Aug-20
Ridge... although I do love the Beam I’ll definitely give two thumbs ip to the Buffalo Trace.

Speaking of bourbon where is Hunt Man?

29-Aug-20
To blow your mind, find and try Old Tub. $20 bottle of surprise....punches well above its weight.

29-Aug-20
LUNG$HOT, have you tried the Sherry Cask? Received it as a gift from my daughter and son-in-law.

I also like the Woodford Rye!

29-Aug-20
Honestly, I don't drink much whiskey. I'm more of a Busch Latte guy. ;-)

29-Aug-20
Nick, I have not tried the sherry cask. I’ll have to give it a shot. I know their original is only aged 2 years and it shows. Buffalo trace original bourbon is aged (I think) at least 7 or 8 years and isn’t way overpriced. Good stuff.

29-Aug-20
Uncle Nearest

29-Aug-20
Old Forester 1920, just about any of the OF's actually, Rarebreed, some great sips. Blantons is way overpriced at $80+ now for what it is.....lots better cheaper and easier to find out there. Just my opinion.

29-Aug-20
Basil Hayden... but the dark rye!

Breckenridge is a decent one.

29-Aug-20
Woodford Reserve

29-Aug-20
Have some 70 year old Jim Beam that I've been saving for special occasions. My 23 year old bowhunter granddaughter bought a bottle of "High West" bourbon with a pronghorn on the label for me which actually was not bad. Guess she could not find a bottle with an elk label on it.

29-Aug-20
Here's what I've learned after some research.

Taste is a dynamic function of current body chemistry.

But you have your everyday avg preferences.

Some bourbons are sweeter, and some dryer for lack of a better term.

I like the dryer ones, with buffalo trace being the go to standard.

Basil

Bulleit Barrel Strength

Eagle Rare

Bookers

Blantons

Those suit my taste buds, but may not work for others.

The bourbon to avoid is probably a more important list.

American Prairie Whiskey-with the pronghorn on the label, and Wyoming Whiskey are two of them

- best used for hand sanitizer, or aviation fuel.

29-Aug-20
Four Roses single barrel or small batch

29-Aug-20
I really like berenjager

29-Aug-20

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo

29-Aug-20
Rowan’s Creek is the best under $50 bottle that I’ve tried. Can be challenging to find though. Angels Envy and Bowman Bros aged in port barrels are good too

29-Aug-20
"Rye will do, provided it gets here quick!" Augustus McCray To the sunny slopes of long ago...

29-Aug-20
Have to go with the Buffalo Trace myself. Pretty dang smooth on the rocks. Can get it for a decent price!!!

29-Aug-20
Shb, I just hope that my granddaughter does not read this thread because she thought that the High West that she bought me would be good. I see that you know your bourbons but I did enjoy American Pirarie Whiskey's "High West" mixed........ Badbull

29-Aug-20
A little late to the party, but Jaq mentioned my favorite many posts ago...Jefferson’s Ocean.

29-Aug-20
Buffalo Trace for me.

30-Aug-20
To fit the pack I’d go for the slender bottle of an EH Taylor. But I’m partial.

30-Aug-20
Rowan’s Creek is the best under $50 bottle that I’ve tried. Can be challenging to find though. Angels Envy and Bowman Bros aged in port barrels are good too

30-Aug-20
Old Elk, of course. Its elk camp.

30-Aug-20
Not a bourbon, but Wild Turkey Honey is very good. I'm definitely not a fan of the flavored whiskeys, cherry this, maple that.. "She who must be obeyed" brought home some Wild Turkey Honey over the holidays for some mixed drink. That stuff is dangerous good!! Never got to see what the drink was, bottle didn't last long enough.

30-Aug-20
Well Jim Beam products have helped me buy a bunch of hunting stuff over the last 23 years so I am kind of biased. Go with the Knob Creek or Basil!!

30-Aug-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Whatever your celebratory drink of choice is, it should be themed to the hunt species.

This bottle went into caribou camp a few times before getting drained in about ten minutes one happy day!!

Caribou Crossing. How fitting!

30-Aug-20
I'm partial to Eagle Rare or Evan Williams Single Barrel, the Makers 46 would be good too...

30-Aug-20
My wife (Turtlebuc22) enjoys good bourbon and has been to a couple of whiskey/bourbon tastings in Rochester, Minnesota. I prefer tequila (Herradura) but the Evan Williams single barrel was pretty good - inexpensive too. Good luck elk hunting.

30-Aug-20

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Not to bad..

30-Aug-20
All of the above are great suggestions with the exception of the single malt varieties and Pendleton's. Barley should be used for beer, not whiskey and the Canadian stuff just isn't the same.

If you want to spend a little more you can't go wrong with the Basil Haydens, Blantons or Bulliets. Blantons, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are all made at the same distillery so they have similar flavors. Makers Mark is a great one as well

They all have to be 50% corn but what they use on top of the corn makes all the difference in the world. I personally prefer a bourbon with more wheat and less rye. It gives a smoother finish. All of those I mentioned don't have the bitterness that more rye can give.

Of course we all have different tastes so just go with what you like best.

30-Aug-20
I love a good snort... I’m a fan of Buffalo Trace, wild Turkey 81, 4 Roses, Basil Haydens..

30-Aug-20
Wyoming Whiskey ain’t bad ... gotta say. Smooth, medium alcohol.

31-Aug-20
Hard to go wrong with most of those choices....except the Stranahans. Cant stand the stuff. I have over 50 bottles of various labels and if you just want a good daily drinker that is really hard to beat, get Four Roses small batch, or Single Barrel. You'll thank me. Also a good choice at reasonable $$ is Larceny or Woodford Reserve. Enjoy responsibly and have fun!!

31-Aug-20
Four Roses Single barrel or small batch. You're welcome.

31-Aug-20
billygoat with the awesome post.... ""Rye will do, provided it gets here quick!" Augustus McCray To the sunny slopes of long ago...

local blend down here will be packed in.......just look at the bottle, it says..... TX

31-Aug-20
Jim beam black but benchmark if you have to share

31-Aug-20

tkjwonta's embedded Photo
tkjwonta's embedded Photo
Normally a beer drinker, but you guys inspired me. Now I remember why I'm normally a beer drinker.

31-Aug-20
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Wild Turkey Makers Keep

Angle’s Envy

Eagle Rare

Almost any single or small batch.

I know a waitress or a bartender doesn’t know what they’re talking about when I ask “what ya got for bourbon?” And they respond with Crown Royal, or Jack Daniels...

When in doubt, most taverns have Maker’s Mark which is a decent bourbon.

01-Sep-20
Buffalo Trace

Weller Special Reserve is always good, although it’s getting harder to find around here.

I’ve tried most of the Old Forester batches, but haven’t tried the 1920 yet due to cost. Definitely will try that one soon.

My current bottle is an 8 yr old Evan Williams Single Barrel. Very nice and costs less than $30/bottle.

02-Sep-20
W.L. Weller 12 year is the best I've ever tasted, but it will set you back about $230 a bottle. Too steep for me, but if you ever get a chance to try some don't hesitate.

02-Sep-20
Elijah Craig small batch. Evan Williams single barrel If we are mixing Wild Turkey 101

03-Sep-20
Old Forester 86 Best bang for the buck

03-Sep-20
Well if it's a matter of cost just get a bottle of 10 High it'll get the job done lol

03-Sep-20
If you have not tried Larceny I would certainly give it a shot pun intended Lewis

04-Sep-20
Mixed reports on Wyoming Whiskey but I think that I will give it a try (if for name only as it kind of grabs me).

12-Sep-20
Mitcher's

• Sitka Gear