WV Mountaineer 01-Sep-20
APauls 03-Sep-20
Basil 03-Sep-20
WV Mountaineer 03-Sep-20
N8tureBoy 05-Sep-20
IdyllwildArcher 07-Sep-20
smarba 09-Sep-20
29-Aug-20
Make sure you take the heart! After you’re done with the gutless, break a couple ribs, no saw needed, and fish out the heart. It’s inside a sack. Don’t leave it behind!!!

29-Aug-20
What’s the best way to cook it? You guys got any recipes?

29-Aug-20
Skin outside, slice 1/4" or so thick, soak in milk for a couple of hours, coat with seasoned flour, fry up and eat.

29-Aug-20
Sir Lomax has a recipe!!!!

29-Aug-20
No thanks

29-Aug-20
Firsty, I feel bad for you. Haha

If you don’t like elk heart you must not like backstraps either because they taste almost identical.

The key to heart is the prep. Otherwise it’s psychological for people. “Skin” the entire thing, inside and out. When I’m done it looks like steak fajita strips.

Then cook like you would backstraps. I like to pat it dry, dredge in flour and sprinkle heavily with salt and pepper. Then cook it fast on a cast iron skillet with a little vegetable oil. Get a good seat on the outside and rare in the middle.

29-Aug-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
You wouldn’t even know it was heart.
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
You wouldn’t even know it was heart.

29-Aug-20
Coyotes got to eat too, I’ll pass on any non muscle meat.

29-Aug-20
Do not forget the tongue and eye balls. Both have a lot of muscle. Like Mikey, you will love them.

29-Aug-20
Don’t know about the eye balls but the tongue is fantastic. Fwiw

29-Aug-20
Haven’t done elk heart, but I just simmer deer heart in a pan for a couple hours, then slice it for sandwiches with some salt, pepper and mustard. Good stuff!

29-Aug-20
One of the best parts, and remember , it's a muscle just like the backstraps.

29-Aug-20
Yep....it’s a muscle more than an organ. It’s ok guys, my girlfriend gets a little weird about it too. I tell her to man up. I think some of you might have a lot in common with her. Lol!!!

29-Aug-20
Heart is good! I Usually eat the heart from every animal I kill

29-Aug-20
On of the beat parts of the animal! And it is very versatile in how it can be prepared.

29-Aug-20
I do nothing different when prepping heart. Slice it up, olive oil, salt/pepper, toss in a hot cast iron with some garlic and let it rip. A lot of people say they're against freezing heart but I've had zero issue thawing and cooking up for fajitas during spring turkey season.

30-Aug-20
My brother and his son eat the heart on everything I kill. If I’m guiding a bring the clients deer heart home for them. I might have to try it. It doesn’t creep me out just haven’t tried it. I can eat tongue, cheek meat, I’ve eaten calf fries and dove heart but the one thing I can’t make myself try is menudo( a soup with stomach lining of a beef).

30-Aug-20
Its the best part of any game animal, to me. I just trim off all the fat on top, the auricles, and rubbery vessles, and crock pot it with salt and pepper. Then just eat and enjoy warm or sliced on a sandwich with whatever you like for garnish. Never tough, always tasty.

30-Aug-20
Hearts and tongues are great, I regret not learning that lesson way sooner! The folks who still think they're gross either can't cook or have their heads on backward...

30-Aug-20
Link my wife is a tripe cutter at the packing plant we tried menudo since its tripe, man was that horrible slimey stuff!

30-Aug-20
We save hearts from everything - even sautée a pan full of dove hearts each year. My buddy made mule deer heart tacos in elk camp last year, and they were some of the best I’ve ever had - the meat had the consistency and flavor of prime rib. Delicious!

30-Aug-20
menudo/tripe taste like ass......go figure

30-Aug-20
Biggest shame I think I’ve committed is leaving heart in deer for 30 yrs. Absolutely delicious. Trim, olive oil minced garlic fry and eat or add to sauce or sky is limit. 3yrs now I’ll never leave one behind just carry a ziplock in ur pack

30-Aug-20
Sorry but the liver is far superior to the heart.

Recipe(deer):

*clean *cut quarter inch thick, 1 inch wide strips long. *start bacon cooking in cast iron, add onions about halfway through *Remove bacon and onions once cooked to preferred doneness *Mix flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt in tupperware and toss liver pieces and coat well. *Shake off excess, and add to hot left over bacon grease, cook till brown/almost done. *Add onions and bacon back when liver is almost done. *Eat with favorite beer or wine.

30-Aug-20

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo
*throw out liver and enjoy the bacon and onions with a beer to wash out the nasty liver taste. Save the liver for catfish bait.

30-Aug-20
Soak the heart in milk over night, cut into 1/4" slices... I always cook up some of my thick sliced smoked black pepper bacon and save the grease in the pan. I then cook up some potatoes and eggs using a little of the bacon grease! I then sear some onions in the pan until translucent, and put the heart in hot bacon grease... Just a few minutes on each side and then combine everything and heat for 3 minutes... The best damn breakfast, lunch or dinner you ever had! HA!

30-Aug-20
I've eaten elk heart, but don't care for it. I don't think it's even close to backstrap. The texture is not the same. It's not disgusting, but it's not a piece of meat that I'm going out of my way to eat. I won't eat liver on a dare.

I have packed both out on multiple occasions to folks that do enjoy them.

If I need to soak overnight then fry inbacon grease...... there's a problem somewhere. :) I could probably stomach coyote meat with enough bacon.

30-Aug-20
Man send all the hearts my way! LOL! I will pay for shipping!

30-Aug-20
Sauté some onions and baby Bella mushrooms, deglaze the pan with a splash of sherry, sauté the slices of heart. Place on a good onion roll, mushrooms and onions on top and add a few slices of Gruyere cheese, slide it under the broiler momentarily to melt the cheese and lightly toast the inside of the top of the bun. You’ll thank me.

My kids hover around, snitching rings of heart out of the pan any time we are cooking it.

30-Aug-20
The heart AND liver stay in the woods. Crows, coons and other critters need to eat too.

30-Aug-20
I have been known to check any fresh gut pile I come across. Especially in later season cold weather conditions. Almost always salvage a heart and over half the time the liver also.

Shameless I am... LOL

30-Aug-20
I would never waste a heart. It’s tradition to cook the heart after the kill with my hunting partners. Cooked like liver and onions is our favorite. The key is skinning/trimming, then soaking the slices in milk for at least 4 hours before cooking.

30-Aug-20
I recently shot a cow elk, and feel kind of stupid for leaving the heart. I agree, it's a muscle, and I have no qualms eating it. I've had elk heart, and thought it was delicious. Liver, on the other hand.... no thanks. Any time you need 10 pounds of onion to cover up the taste of 5 pounds of "meat", I'll pass.

30-Aug-20
I rate elk liver comparable to beef liver. My favorite liver is deer. When I lived in Tucson those 26 years, 2 or 3 friends of mine and I would all save our Coues livers and at end of our hunts we'd get together in a garage and have a huge liver and onions feast. I score that a 10 for favorite meals.

Those little Coues hearts are delicious too. Somehow I usually ended up with the hearts. ;)

30-Aug-20
Liver and heart comes out first with the back strap and loins on an elk, for me. I can get all that in my day pack for the first load out. Then I take my big pack in for the heavy stuff.

Matt.

30-Aug-20

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Agreed! Got mine on Aug 21st

30-Aug-20
We save all our deer hearts and now we have two fresh pronghorn hearts. We pickle ours. Makes a great snack food. You can find recipes for pickling hearts on line.

30-Aug-20
I hate to even touch a liver, but always take a heart. A few years back while rifle hunting, I had another couple of hunters shoot a bull on the same ridge that I was hunting. I made my way over to them to offer congrats and help if needed. They had it under control but was leaving the heart. I asked if they minded if I took it. They had no issue. It was the only elk I ate that year... You can cook it lots of ways, fried is probably the most common and the best. It is a muscle, so it is "meat" in my opinion. It is an intense flavor, and absolutely nothing like liver.

30-Aug-20
I’m not much on the liver. But, I love heart. I’m just sorry I was so stupid for so many years I missed out on it.

30-Aug-20
Love heart and tongue. I don't even mind the liver if it's cooked up with some onions. Ate the oysters from a bighorn sheep last year and they were fantastic! I even had a mouthful of raw beef liver one time on a dare from my niece that was working at my meat plant at the time. That was puke worthy!

30-Aug-20

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
The trick is to pre-drain them first.

31-Aug-20
I have an elk heart vac sealed and frozen since Sept. Do you guys think its still good? Planned on trying it, but didn't. Nobody else in house too excited to try it.

31-Aug-20
Yes it’s still good. Thaw that sucker, slice 1/4” thick, salt and pepper it, then fry it unbreaded in olive oil or butter.

Don’t over cook it. Probably 1.5 minutes per side on a low but steady sizzle. No need to sear it like meat. Let it rest about 5 minutes and enjoy the best eating you can imagine.

31-Aug-20
We eat the heart first! It's my 8 year old boy's favorite.

01-Sep-20
Justin.... you do know you're supposed to cook em first, yeah? =D

01-Sep-20

squid's Link
Meat Eater had a few online episodes on this and I made this last year and it was amazing

01-Sep-20
Sure do Tom.

Heck, according to many of the PM’s I’ve gotten, I’m just a dumb caveman anyway. So, I keep cooking to a minimum to meet that criteria. :^)

01-Sep-20
I have eaten plenty of deer hearts buy I honestly don't like the texture. Every few deer I'll save them and cook them up thinking that this will be the time it trips my trigger. It has yet to do so for me. Don't get me wrong....I won't go hungry if someone is cooking heart but it's definitely not my favorite.

01-Sep-20
What do guys from KY know anyways? :^)

03-Sep-20
Used to eat tenderloins day of the kill kind of like a tradition. After eating heart, tenderloin got tossed aside and it's all heart all the time now. I can polish a whitetail heart myself no prob.

03-Sep-20
Absolutely love deer heart. Hard to beat a fresh heart sandwich on buttered toast. Always ate the liver until I found parasites on one while washing in the sink. Looked like liver colored leeches under the lobes outside the liver. Would recoil when I ran water on them. Never have been able to find out what they are as most parasites are supposed to be inside the liver. Wonder how many I ate.....Still love beef liver once in a while.

03-Sep-20
I’d beet those beef livers have their fair share of parasites too. :^)

05-Sep-20

N8tureBoy's Link
Hank Shaw has a great heart recipe.

07-Sep-20
Another piece that’s delicious is the tongue. Cut it out from behind the mandible and cut off and discard the front few inches that are skinny and sit in the mouth.

09-Sep-20
I've never eaten the heart separately, but just toss it in to be ground with burger. It's meat and on larger animals it can be a pretty big chunk!

• Sitka Gear