Summit Treestands
Best time of day to hunt over waterhole?
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
Stix 02-Sep-20
Treeline 02-Sep-20
Kodiak 02-Sep-20
Treeline 02-Sep-20
Pig Doc 02-Sep-20
Treeline 02-Sep-20
Stix 02-Sep-20
Orion 02-Sep-20
Orion 02-Sep-20
Orion 02-Sep-20
Matt 03-Sep-20
Stix 03-Sep-20
Medicinemann 03-Sep-20
Rock 03-Sep-20
Stix 03-Sep-20
Orion 03-Sep-20
Stix 03-Sep-20
Stix 04-Sep-20
Wild Bill 04-Sep-20
Stix 05-Sep-20
Stix 05-Sep-20
tkjwonta 05-Sep-20
Treeline 05-Sep-20
Kodiak 05-Sep-20
John in MO / KY 05-Sep-20
Oryx35 05-Sep-20
trublucolo 06-Sep-20
Stix 24-Sep-20
Muddyboots 25-Sep-20
Stix 25-Sep-20
02-Sep-20
I found a waterhole (spring fed) while still hunting through an area with fresh scat nearby. What is the best time of day to park myself in a natural blind to cover this waterhole. I'm talking during Colorado's September bear hunt.

02-Sep-20
Will be watching this one!

02-Sep-20
I'd say late in the day, dusk.

02-Sep-20
I’ve been thinking water.

I know where there are a couple of small seeps surrounded by oak brush.

And a pond up high on a mountain in the aspen with lots of oak brush lower down.

I suck at sitting. But with over 35 Colorado bear tags floating around in my 5 gallon bucket of tag soup, thinking I need to sit on my ass by a water hole...

02-Sep-20
Unless you are in an area with very little water I can't imagine sitting a water hole for bear. In the fall bears will typically forage for 20+ hours a day and may cover miles in their foraging. They might drink only once a day and will drink opportunistically, when they run across a water source in their foraging. Where I hunt in CO there are streams, seeps and springs every half mile or so. I would have zero confidence sitting a water hole for bear unless it was in a desert.

02-Sep-20
It is dry up here this year.

A lot of the food sources are pretty limited This year. Water may be the key.

Even though there are streams close by, I gotta believe those bears will be drinking at any water sources up away from the creeks.

Not a camera guy (don’t own one) but thinking that water may be the way to kill one.

Damn I hate sitting...

02-Sep-20
It's been really dry, especially in my hunting area. I used to stillhunt from spring to spring. I've got 2 out of 25 tries doing this, but I'm thinking about sitting near one that's got scrub, choke cherries, and wild plums in close proximity. There's got to be a more productive way. Love those bear loins, better than any wild game in my opinion.

02-Sep-20
Sit all day I kill a majority of mine between 10 and 2. The hotter the better. I disagree with pigdoc considering I've killed over a dozen bears sitting water and my kids have started killing a few themselves.

02-Sep-20

Orion's embedded Photo
Orion's embedded Photo

02-Sep-20

Orion's embedded Photo
Orion's embedded Photo
Here are a couple from last year both on water.

03-Sep-20
Checking trails cams here in CA a couple of weeks back, it was mostly late afternoon/evening. It was hot, so they were swimming and not just drinking.

03-Sep-20
Thanks guys. I'll try some late afternoon til evening stand sessions.

03-Sep-20
You could always take a predator call, just to spice things up, if things are real slow at the water. I did that on a grizzly hunt.....but be careful what you wish for....LOL!!

03-Sep-20
I have seen them come to water at all times of day but mostly (like Orion) mid-day seemed to be the best.

03-Sep-20
Forgot to mention this is on public land, with alot of pressure.

03-Sep-20
You'll be fine all mine have come from public land most guys aren't out in the middle of the day

03-Sep-20
Ok. Also mentioning that these are not big waterholes, just springs surfacing. 2'-3' diameter.

04-Sep-20
I think I got a real time answer this evening

04-Sep-20
Thirstdays.

05-Sep-20
7:25 pm

05-Sep-20

05-Sep-20
Nicely done!

05-Sep-20
Nice!

05-Sep-20
Outstanding!

05-Sep-20
Well Done!

05-Sep-20

Oryx35's embedded Photo
10:21 AM
Oryx35's embedded Photo
10:21 AM
I took this boar at 10:21 AM yesterday morning at a small spring. Looking at trail camera photos from the last month, it seems that evening is best, closely followed by middle of the day, with morning being a distant third. I didn't count the nighttime visitors, and of course this data could be unique to the water source I was hunting.

06-Sep-20
Nice!!

24-Sep-20

Stix's embedded Photo
Stix's embedded Photo
Waterhole fun with a list "b" license.

25-Sep-20
OK Stix, gotta give up the time of day you took your shot! Way to go.

25-Sep-20
Ok, first of all, this is an additional tag rifle , but it was a 25 yard shot with a .30-30, so very close to a bow kill. This one came into a small spring at 4pm.

• Sitka Gear