SBH 04-Sep-20
bobbinhood 04-Sep-20
kasper 04-Sep-20
Shb 04-Sep-20
whipranger 05-Sep-20
Michael 06-Sep-20
kasper 08-Sep-20
03-Sep-20
Hi I’m new to this forum and was hoping to get some good information for mule deer/whitetail hunting the Pine Ridge area of NE. I’m planning a trip to bow hunt mid October and any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

03-Sep-20
Wait and go AFTER the 20th. or so of Oct!

03-Sep-20
unfortunately my schedule only lets me go before October 20th. What is the main reason you would say to go after? thanks

03-Sep-20
Maybe because he is hunting before????

03-Sep-20
Look out for cats, if you’re gonna hunt the trees

03-Sep-20
You’ll do fine mid October. The biggest factor will be is if the corn has been picked yet or not.

03-Sep-20

jwoods's embedded Photo
jwoods's embedded Photo
Corn's not going to be a problem in that area. Beautiful country, hunted it many times.

04-Sep-20
jwoods x2 on no corn. Bring good optics and lots of patience. It’s a beautiful place. If you’ve never been make some time to tour Fort Robinson. Good luck!

04-Sep-20
thanks. it will be my first time so pretty excited about it. Not expecting to fill a tag necessarily but get some boots on the ground to better prepare fir future hunts.

04-Sep-20
Your one of thousands that asks the same basic question on outdoor message boards across the country.

And, even though that query is ubiquitous, the follow up reports are extremely rare.

Theres a reason for that.

04-Sep-20
Good luck Kasper. Have a great hunt.

04-Sep-20
After 40 yrs. of hunting in NE, I've learned things start to happen after the 20th. of Oct! Cooler weather and animals seem to be alot more active and bucks you've never seen, seem to come out of no where! Hunt when ever you can, just seem to me that the later has been better for me! Good Luck!

04-Sep-20
thanks. i’ll keep in mind to try and plan for later dates next season. Do you typically have to worry about snakes out there? I’ve hunted OK and KS before but they never seemed to be an issue there. Also can anyone give me a general idea of the age structure and what I should expect for general score of mule and whitetails are for the area?

04-Sep-20
[QUOTE] Also can anyone give me a general idea of the age structure and what I should expect for general score of mule and whitetails are for the area?[/quote]

Score?

Shoot the first legal deer you see that's doing less than 40mph.

05-Sep-20
I don’t recall exactly where we were up there but the deer and elk were traveling back and forth from the public to private fields. Not saying that’s how the whole area is just something else for you to know

06-Sep-20
Back in 2012 I seen a tank of a whitetail just south of Chadron. If I had to guess 180 plus. Things were insanely dry that year and EHD took its toll on the whitetails. I have seen a few mulies that would be above 160 but most are 1 to 3 year olds.

Of all the years I have hunted out there I have seen 1 snake.

08-Sep-20
Thank you for the feedback everyone! greatly appreciated!

• Sitka Gear