greg simon 04-Sep-20
badbull 04-Sep-20
Medicinemann 04-Sep-20
BUCKeye 05-Sep-20
Korey Wolfe 05-Sep-20
badbull 05-Sep-20
carcus 05-Sep-20
04-Sep-20
I have switched from a 100 grain head to a 125 grain head to slightly increase my FOC. I figured my pin gap would increase and I would need to re-sight in my bow, but that isn't exactly the case. My arrows impact the same at 20, 30 and 40...but then at 50, I'm 8 inches low...I can't figure out why.

I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder at 28 inches and 70 pounds. My arrows are FMJ 5mm 340's for a finished arrow weight of 510 grains with an FOC of around 12%. My previous arrows had a finished arrow weight of 485 grains and an FOC of ~9%.

I'm not typically shooting animals at 50 or 60, but I really do enjoy shooting at those ranges to keep me sharp for closer shots, but for the life of me I can't figure out why on earth my pins are dead on out to 40, but then drop like a rock past that...

Does anyone have an explanation or something I should check or test to make sure something isn't wrong with my setup?

04-Sep-20
Take the whatchmacallit and put it near the thigamagig. Use the dohickey to make the adjustment.That should do it. Couldn't resist. Sorry

04-Sep-20
Don't really want to state the obvious, but have you double checked to insure that your actually still on at 50 y with your 100 g tips. If not, I would check. If so, your right in that not making rational sense.

04-Sep-20
I shoot that exact same bow and arrows. 125 grain heads. I do not experience the extreme drop after 40 yards that you are. Could you be dropping your bow arm on the longer shots to see the target?

04-Sep-20
Pretty sure you are a consistent shot at this point but you might reconsider that your form could change a bit at longer ranges such as head angle. I switched the same as you for the same reasons as you with good results. Good luck with this as I know it can drive you nuts...... Badbull

04-Sep-20
Hope that you can figure it out.....but why wait until JUST before hunting season to effect this change?

05-Sep-20
Shoot a couple of 100s and 125s together at 40, 45, and 50 yds and report back.

05-Sep-20
100 grain heads are probably 2 inches low at 50. So it isn't as bad as I was reporting.

The 125's are 16-18 inches low at 60. I didn't shoot the 100's at 60, but I would suspect it is a touch low also.

I've been tinkering with my arrow set up all summer (not my pins or bow) and have been shooting the 150 grain heads I got last month, but I couldn't get them to fly the way I wanted because the arrow spine was too weak causing undesirable arrow flight. The drop with the 150's is significant! I've been shooting my practice broadheads (which are 125) once I decided to move to 125, but only out to 40. 125 grain field points didn't show up until Wednesday. I wasn't trying to wait until the last minute.

05-Sep-20
Latest information sounds reasonable.

05-Sep-20
Go back to your previous arrows, don't worry about foc, your perfect for any north American game

• Sitka Gear