BackStraps 05-Sep-20
t-roy 05-Sep-20
LBshooter 08-Sep-20
WI Shedhead 08-Sep-20
RJ Hunt 08-Sep-20
05-Sep-20

LoneStarArcher's embedded Photo
LoneStarArcher's embedded Photo
Wanting to look into new boots for next year's backcountry hunt, and hopefully the year's to come. I've been looking around, I know what brands I trust and want to stick with, but I want opinions on what type of boot. They'll be for primarily elk hunting. Which do yall prefer, the logger's type boot (elk hunter) or more hiking style boot (vital). The brand and pictures are just so yall get a better idea, I'm up for anything really. Just want to know what everyone likes and why.

05-Sep-20
When are you hunting? It's too late to buy boots for this year's elk hunt if you're hunting September - you should have bought boots months ago.

I wear whatever boot I'm wearing on a hunt every day for a month before the hunt. Wearing new boots on a hunt is a huge mistake.

It's not just breaking in the boot. It's breaking your feet into the boot. Especially if you wear comfortable shoes all year.

05-Sep-20
Not looking for anything for this year, planning on next year. Already went on my backcountry hunt this season.

05-Sep-20
If you’re looking at Danners, the Pronghorns have served me well for 10 years of elk hunting. Lots of boot threads on here debating Crispis, Lowas, etc. Google “bowsite boot” and you’ll have several hours of reading material.

05-Sep-20
I wear Danner Pronghorns practically every day for work and on the farm, and have for probably the past 15-20 years. They are very comfortable and fairly durable boots. Also have worn them on several mountain hunts, but there are much better choices for mountain type hunting than the Pronghorns, IMO. For me they don’t provide the best support in that type of terrain. I bought a pair of Crispi Guide GTX boots and used them on my past few hunts. I’m extremely pleased with them in all aspects.

08-Sep-20
Anyone have experience with muck artic outpost boots?

08-Sep-20
Kenetreks or any boot with a rubber rand. Lots more durable. Stick with a boot with one full piece of leather. Once you find the right boot. Be buying a second pair to start rotating and breaking in. Bad boots and sore feet have no place in elk country. Skimp or ho without on other things before this

08-Sep-20
I must add that I wear Danner Super rainforest every day of the year... for work. When I am in the woods I wear Kenetrek as there is more support for the side hills and Un even terrain. Best way I can describe when went to a “mountain style” boot was like having 4x4 traction for your feet. That said get what fits your foot and break them in well. Best of luck.

• Sitka Gear