elkmtngear 06-Sep-20
Scar Finga 06-Sep-20
Smurph 06-Sep-20
Scar Finga 07-Sep-20
Smurph 07-Sep-20
Smurph 07-Sep-20
Scar Finga 07-Sep-20
05-Sep-20
So I bagged my first muley.(not my first deer) Fairly warm out, fist time quartering and skinning. I think I did a decent job for my first time and at a decent speed. A bit of fur here and there, and some dirt i brushed away or plucked off as best i could(nothing crazy like in that recent thread)

Two trips to pack out. Into the cooler with frozen water jugs than a 15min drive to the gas station for more ice.

Right now I got the bottom loaded with ice, than 2 quarters(in mesh game bags) than more ice, than 2 more quarters, than a bit more ice.(3pm). Currently on the porch with drain plug.

What next???

My plan was to leave it over night, than in the morning get fresh ice, debone and put back in ice. 1....But should they go in bare meat? In game bags on ice? or in plastic on ice? 2... Should I cut the silver skin off/sinue/muscle covering at this point? or wait for processing day?

Than process and cut for packaging the next day after that

05-Sep-20
Not a fan of leaving wet raw meat on ice. It should be cool by now. I would hang in game bags to form crust tonight and cut up tomorrow or get in meat locker.

05-Sep-20
90deg out right now, even hotter in my garage. Not feasible in my opinion

05-Sep-20
You did good!!

Once it’s chilled you can put inside non breathable bags, like gallon ziplocks or even unscented garbage bags. I don’t like to leave meat wet against ice too long after it chills.

05-Sep-20
@tx thanks

most of online says to just toss in coolers, that seems odd to me

I will debone and put in plastic tomorrow with fresh ice. Should be good as far as contact with water for <24 hours (i hope)

05-Sep-20
Put the ice in the bottom and once the meat is cooled put it in plastic bags to keep it from getting water in it. I like to keep my meat from getting water wet.

05-Sep-20
You are doing great! Continue on

Game meat prep advise is as varied as tax planning advice !!

Keep it cold and cut it up and enjoy eating it. Congrats on your success

05-Sep-20
Congratulations!

Sounds like you got it cooled fast and that is key to it eating good later.

I am also one that doesn't like to get water on my game meat. Once it is cool, you can put it in plastic garbage bags to keep the water off of it. I have a couple of big chest freezers that I will put meat into until I have the time to process. Just takes a long time for it to thaw after being frozen solid and a lot of blood drains off.

If it is cool enough, I really like to let the meat hang for up to a couple of weeks to age. Hard to do this time of year unless you are up in the real high country. Trick is to keep it just above freezing 35-40. A walk-in cooler is awesome or you can do it in a refrigerator.

Glad you were able to make it come together!

06-Sep-20
Let me know how it turns out. I’ve done it exactly like you and was disappointed in the flavor of my deer. Let me how it works for you. No criticism intended. Tim

06-Sep-20
I did not happen if you don’t post a pic! ;)

06-Sep-20
I like to sprinkle salt on each piece of meat and then put it on ice. The salt will kill all bacteria. When you open the cooler the next day there is no smell whatsoever and the meat looks beautiful. Its now ready to process. I've had no problems with direct contact to the ice water.

06-Sep-20
There was a whole other discussion on the taste of mule deer meat. If it has been eating sage, many of us can taste that and don’t like it. I am one of them. Timberline bucks taste good though! No sage up there. But if I kill one down low I generally keep the back straps, tenders and a couple of select steaks. The rest goes into burger and smoke rings.

06-Sep-20
Salt kills all bacteria?

06-Sep-20
Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria. YOU did good ,got the meat chilled down quick, the cold water might change the color of the meat but it will not hurt it , I have left deer meat in a cooler 4 to 5 days won't hurt it . Forrest

06-Sep-20
@drah...

ahhh damn. Deboned today into trash bags and back onto ice. Some of the meat had turned a little light brown and the rest was deep red/maroon. I ended up cutting it off and tossing it. Was unsure and was 50/50 about saving it for ground/just leaving it.

Live and learn. First time processing from start to end.

06-Sep-20
Every deer or antelope I’ve ever quartered went into an ice chest with just ice. Most stayed 2/3 days, drained bloody water off a couple times each day and added ice each time. It NEVER hurt the meat at all. Just sayin’

06-Sep-20
Dry ice is always an option for next time, if you don't want the meat to become "bleached" by water.

I've been using dry ice for nearly 30 years now, for two day transport, without a single ounce of issue of any kind, when it comes to meat quality.

06-Sep-20
I was being an ass in my response and I deleted it!

My Apologies Nick! No excuse on my part, I was just in a crappy mood!

06-Sep-20
Disagree with you Scar. Nicks’s trying not to waste his deer or he wouldn’t be hear humbly asking for advice. We all started somewhere. I’ve seen plenty of experienced hunters throw out freezer burned deer, elk, ducks, geese, fish etc. Way more flesh then Nick lost. Bet you’ve lost some meat at one time or another as well. Tim

07-Sep-20
Smurph,

You're right, I was very harsh and I should not have been! I was being an a$$!

It has been deleted!

My apologies Nick!!

07-Sep-20
Disagree with you Scar. Nicks’s trying not to waste his deer or he wouldn’t be hear humbly asking for advice. We all started somewhere. I’ve seen plenty of experienced hunters throw out freezer burned deer, elk, ducks, geese, fish etc. Way more flesh then Nick lost. Bet you’ve lost some meat at one time or another as well. Tim

07-Sep-20
No problem Mark! Thanks, not taking offense to my response. You might have to help me out when I draw my Arizona tag next year (17 points).????

07-Sep-20
Smurph,

I would love to!!! Let me know!

• Sitka Gear