Basinboy 04-Jun-21
BowJangles 06-Jun-21
07-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
This is the big boy I had my eye on
Coulee's embedded Photo
This is the big boy I had my eye on
Coulee's embedded Photo
After a morning of scouting we picked up my brother to get some work done for him
Coulee's embedded Photo
After a morning of scouting we picked up my brother to get some work done for him
After much talking, researching and google mapping, I had decided on an area to draw for this fall. I waited 10 years on this moose tag. Come august my dad and I made a scouting trip, turning up 10 ish moose in a morning, including one giant. This allowed us to make a plan for the fall. We killed two birds with one stone on this trip and helped my younger brother set some trail cameras for whitetails. The area I drew my tag in is about 1.5 hours from where my brother lives for school

07-Sep-20
That’s a big moose

07-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
I really wanted to find this bull in my mind he was a giant. I wish I had better pictures but the heat waves were bad
Coulee's embedded Photo
I really wanted to find this bull in my mind he was a giant. I wish I had better pictures but the heat waves were bad
On this trip it was my goal to harvest a pope and young moose for Alberta that's 135. In my mind that moose would be 45+ inches wide and have a good number of points. I really don't know moose all that well.

07-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
Yes that's right i was planning to shoot a moose with an expandable. How foolish...it probably wouldn't open...or it might just bounce off
Coulee's embedded Photo
Yes that's right i was planning to shoot a moose with an expandable. How foolish...it probably wouldn't open...or it might just bounce off
Previous to this year I shot a VAP tko 350. Total arrow weight was around 330 grains. Of course I bought another 12 in the spring and had around 20 laying around after this. I have shot 10-15 animals with this set up and was extremely impressed. BUT for this year, especially given the moose I wanted to try something new. In August I caved and bought the brand new 300 victory vap ss. I ran them with a 50 grain insert and 100 grain head (wasp Jak-hammer). This was with a wrap, 3 fletch helical AAE max stealth vane, and a nocturnal. This brought my total arrow weight to 480 grains, a place I've wanted to be in for a long time. These were going about 285 fps at 73lb. I figured this would be truly deadly!

07-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
100 yards. No my groups don't always look like this. The broadhead is low the other 3 are field points. A little bit of drag but pretty happy with the flight at this distance
Coulee's embedded Photo
100 yards. No my groups don't always look like this. The broadhead is low the other 3 are field points. A little bit of drag but pretty happy with the flight at this distance
Coulee's embedded Photo
This is an 80 yard group. Again no I don't shoot like this all the time. more realistic is a volleyball to basketball size group consistently.
Coulee's embedded Photo
This is an 80 yard group. Again no I don't shoot like this all the time. more realistic is a volleyball to basketball size group consistently.
I played around with 4 fletch a bit on these arrows but didn't notice a huge difference in groups. The 3 fletch seemed to shoot and group good. I post these groups because especially the 80 yard group was two perfectly executed shots. It shows that if I do my part my equipment will do the rest. A perfectly tuned bow and arrow combo (or close anyway). I shot two arrows and didn't want to ruin it lol.

08-Sep-20
My plan for the hunt was to go up early, opening weekend. And then if no luck head back up to hunt them in the rut for the first week of October. Friday night my dad and I rolled into a small town motel (supporting local is more important then ever). We did not have time to scout the evening so rather had some pizza and beer and prepared for the morning hunt

08-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
The only problem was no permission...yet
Coulee's embedded Photo
The only problem was no permission...yet
The first morning of the hunt, after cruising around checking the area for big boi, a different moose was found. He was with 3 other bulls all still in velvet except for him. clearly no form of rut activity had kicked in yet.

08-Sep-20
Looking forward to your hunt, Coulee! You said you waited 10 years for this tag. Is this a premium zone that you chose, or does it take that long for you guys to draw a moose tag in Alberta as residents?

08-Sep-20
Troy, we do have some areas in Alberta where you can still buy OTC moose tags. However, many areas, or WMU's have waits of over 9 years. I put in to this area as well with an 8 priority and was not awarded. We looked for an area that had low numbers of licenses and high success rates. Also, this is more of a agriculture/small bush hunt rather than a mounain or large forest hunt...enjoy the story and pics. :)

08-Sep-20
Looking forward to the rest of the write up on this one after seeing some pics online!!! You guys are having a heck of a year so far!

08-Sep-20
Also looking forward to rest of story. Hit the button above your pictures that says "image tool" and rotate pictures and that will fix them from being sideways.

08-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
My father getting used to the new video camera i bought for this fall
Coulee's embedded Photo
My father getting used to the new video camera i bought for this fall
Working on the pictures being straight sorry guys. I'm young and reasonable with technology but this site is old school. After finding a bull worthy of going after (at 7:33 am on the first day of my hunt) we began to make a plan. I had permission on a lot of land but not the specific quarter that the bull was found on. It was a canola field with clumps of trees. At 8:00 I began calling farmers to track down the landowner. 4 different numbers, 3 different conversations and a couple text messages later and I had permission locked down..I'm a sweet talker. It was now 8:48 am.

08-Sep-20
As a side note and for those that don't know. In Alberta hunters cant pay landowners, there is no type of "leasing" land to hunt up here. Simply land owners let us hunt out of the kindness of their hearts, respect and good communication is paramount. Fortunately in this unit most landowners despise the moose due to crop and fence damage, so permission was relatively easy..especially for archery. The landowners comment to me when i asked permission was "yes go ahead, but please don't wreck the crop more than the moose already have"

09-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
Coulee's embedded Photo
Permission granted, Bull spotted. Go time

09-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
I get easily distracted, halfway into the stalk this guy showed up and was within seconds of death
Coulee's embedded Photo
I get easily distracted, halfway into the stalk this guy showed up and was within seconds of death
We made a plan to slowly work through the bush patch from the downwind side, calling and acting like moose. I wanted to wait for the wind to stabilize a little more but my father convinced me to go for it after about 30 minutes (it didn't take much convincing)

09-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
trying to gain some elevation for spotting
Coulee's embedded Photo
trying to gain some elevation for spotting
We slowly made our way through the bush, calling and making moose noise. My dad had an old shoulder blade he was dragging across the brush to sound like a paddle (he was very excited about this). As we got closer we bumped multiple critters. This had me on edge but turns out they were just deer.

09-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
Three bulls here one had split off. One of these is a borderline shooter
Coulee's embedded Photo
Three bulls here one had split off. One of these is a borderline shooter
There were 3 moose in the trees, two with velvet one half shed. This allowed me quick identification.

14-Sep-20
update?

14-Sep-20
This is taking longer than Canada is taking to open their border.

15-Sep-20
Dudes Sorry! Hunting season is a bad time to be doing this. 2 Elk have fallen since I started, stories to come on those as well and some epic video.

15-Sep-20
As we snuck through the trees we came to the edge of a meadow. The far side of the meadow directly across from us was 55 yards. The 3 moose were milling around on the opposite side ranging from 80-60 yards. I felt getting closer at this point would be pointless because I would not have a shot anyway..I needed them to come to the edge of the meadow!

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
The better bull stops and I search for a shot
Coulee's embedded Photo
The better bull stops and I search for a shot
Here we waited, I felt it was only a matter of time before I would have a shot. I had decided prior to this hunt that given the right conditions I felt comfortable shooting a moose 80 yards or closer. So all I needed was a shot. We had done our best to wait for the wind to stabilize but as I suspected..we had not waited long enough. A wind swirl put us in trouble quick. The moose begin to get nervous and spook slightly to our left.

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
The bull is right of my quiver at the knuckle of the branch. (my father didn't quite have the vid figured out)
Coulee's embedded Photo
The bull is right of my quiver at the knuckle of the branch. (my father didn't quite have the vid figured out)
Now...I had shot quite a lot of 3d the winter and summer previously to this and I seriously cant stress enough how much it helped. This bull stopped and I could see his antlers and then his hump and down from there. I looked at him 3 times with my binos. I had a clear clean shot and a good reference point to aim. there were two sticks I could see with my naked eye and knew right of those 2 inches=dead bull

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
A zoomed in reference on where the bull is
Coulee's embedded Photo
A zoomed in reference on where the bull is
I drew. Checked my top limb/string on the branch, double checked my sight tape even, and began to settle in. I was making no mistake on this one and was ensuring to shoot a comfortable fluid shot with back tension. (I shoot a thumb button for hunting and train with a tension), The shot broke and in the dark timber I could see my lighted nock fly true.

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
After watching the footage back this bull broke right. He tipped over in 20 seconds
Coulee's embedded Photo
After watching the footage back this bull broke right. He tipped over in 20 seconds
I always am cautious after a shot and try not to let my emotions get the best of me. Two moose crossed paths after the shot and both my dad and i got fixated on the other bulls..I couldn't see my moose..I tried to get to the edge of the trees as quickly as possible without spooking them in order to get a follow up. as a stepped on some dead fall I looked to my right

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
480 grains right to the pump house
Coulee's embedded Photo
480 grains right to the pump house
No follow up needed a perfectly placed shot, a dead moose, and a lot of work about to happen.

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
Coulee's embedded Photo
The pics everyone is waiting to see. Couldn't be more thrilled with my 2020 Alberta pope and young moose. 51 inches wide, exactly what I was looking for!

15-Sep-20

Coulee's embedded Photo
Coulee's embedded Photo
Can't forget the old man. I will let everyone get caught up on the story then post some after harvest/pack out photos and stories. Thanks for your patience guys and gals

15-Sep-20
Great job on the story and pics! A Pope and Young qualifying moose is one of the toughest species to get in Alberta, never mind one that goes over 50 inches and scores over 150. Congrats!!

15-Sep-20
Great adventure. True trophy. Congrats !!!!

15-Sep-20
Nice job! Great Bull! Thanks for finishing up the story.

15-Sep-20
Congratulations... good work. Thanks for taking us along.

15-Sep-20
Congratulations! Great bull! Awesome Alberta bull!

Good job on the practice and knowing your bow! Great shot!

15-Sep-20
Congrats on a great trophy! Nothing like making a plan and executing it.

15-Sep-20
Thanks for the kind words fellas! In the Degner family here, it's been a very busy, and rewarding fall. More pics to come...under the Elk thread! :) 3 Large animals in one week time...it's like we won the lottery.

15-Sep-20
Nice. Grats.

15-Sep-20
Congrats and thanks for taking the time post the story and pics. Hopefully there is a vid somewhere?

15-Sep-20
Great shot brother!! That is a NICE Alberta Moose!!!

Last October I sat on a hilltop in Alberta and glassed moose, elk, whitetail, and mule deer!!! It’s an awesome place.

15-Sep-20
Got it done with a mechanical. Well done

15-Sep-20
Great shot. Great bull, and great story, Coulee! Congrats to you and your dad.

15-Sep-20
Congratulations. I’m zero for one on moose hunts. Hope to go again.

15-Sep-20
Great moose, congrats!

15-Sep-20
Congrats on a great hunt!

16-Sep-20
Congrats, moose are my favorite animal to hunt, leaving in 3 days, can't wait

16-Sep-20
Great Moose!!!! Congrats

16-Sep-20
Congrats that’s a beauty!

16-Sep-20
Great moose. Congratulations

26-Sep-20
Got it done with a mechanical. Well done

26-Sep-20
Good job Coulee!

30-Sep-20
Congrats great bull

30-Sep-20
Congrats!!

30-Sep-20
Hey Brendon, nicely done. Cool that dad was along to share in the experience. my best, Paul

03-Jun-21
John (JL) Here's the video...finally! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYaPr-F3_k

03-Jun-21
^...well done sir! I too had a hard time figuring out what moose it was when they crossed in the trees.

03-Jun-21
Yes! Isn’t that crazy! Still pissed at myself for not getting better footage! 2 weeks later my son trumped my “footage” with amazing video of my pope and young elk head on!

03-Jun-21
Did you post that yet?

03-Jun-21

03-Jun-21
John, I don’t think I posted the Elk video here. I am little biased but I think it’s awesome! How do u post that link so nicely? The elk video is under the Coulee Crew You Tube page.

03-Jun-21
Is this the vid? If so...I've watched this one before. Very cool. To post the actual video here.....open up the vid in YT. In the lower right side of the page, click on "Share". When that page opens up, click on "Embed". When that opens up, highlight and copy that real long link under "Embed Video". Come back here and "paste" the link into your post. That's all there is to it. It works for most websites that way.

03-Jun-21
Yes John! That’s the video. It’s a little rough around the edges...but it’s funny. And the kill shot is awesome! And thanks for the lesson on video embedding! That’s awesome!

04-Jun-21
Congrats on a fine moose and a great shot!

04-Jun-21
Congrats on a fine moose and a great shot!

06-Jun-21
Very nice and what a shot!!

• Sitka Gear