lewis 10-Sep-20
elvspec 10-Sep-20
Inshart 13-Sep-20
ElkNut1 13-Sep-20
Arrowflinger 14-Sep-20
CurveBow 16-Sep-20
paul@thefort 16-Oct-20
09-Sep-20
UPDATE: Yep it did snow 4 inches at 10,200 ft this morning where I had my spike camp for the past 9 days. Actually for the past 9 days it was warm, ie, low 40 in the am and up to 65- 70 degrees in a PM. Full sun. Full moon. When I awoke this morn at 5 am to get ready for the hunt, I thought, it had been warm this night but is was very dark outside, no light from and fading full moon. As I had placed my camp under a grove of a few mature Spruce trees, I have always had some pine needles to fall on the tent but this morning it sounded like a light rain. Sure enough, a light rain. At first light in the tree stand it was starting to snow, lightly at first and then the flakes became larger and heaver. The wind was unforgiving strong as it came from every direction and by 8:30 I decided to get down and head back to camp. A climbed into the sleeping bag for warmth and awoke at 11 am. It was then I decided to head down the mountain with a light back pack but to come back a few days later. I had planned on staying in a nearby town, ie, 40 miles away but after hearing an updated weather report I decided to drive the 5 hours back home and then return with more favorable weather comes back to the mountain. More to come concerning the actual hunt. My best, Paul

09-Sep-20
Glad to hear you’re good Paul. A good couple days off to take.

Any elk action?

09-Sep-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
As I leave camp this morning and head down and then home for a few days.
As I leave camp this morning and head down and then home for a few days.
and later driving down the mountain. I am sure more snow followed but warmer temps next week when I return.
and later driving down the mountain. I am sure more snow followed but warmer temps next week when I return.

09-Sep-20
Yes, glad to hear you didn’t get caught out in a blizzard Thanks for the update.

09-Sep-20

but this time up it took 4 hrs with more water stops and rests.
but this time up it took 4 hrs with more water stops and rests.
So I arrive the Sunday before the Colorado opener of Sept 2. ( I wonder how many hunters started on Sept 1st ?) I like to climb up to my camp area at 10,200 ft ( gain 1500 ft in elevation in two miles) in the early am because of the coolness but when I arrived there early Sunday afternoon and nothing to do, I decided ( against my better judgement) to make the climb. It usually take the better part of 3 hours.

09-Sep-20

so when you get to camp, make camp. I use a Noah's tarp over the mt tent for more protection.
so when you get to camp, make camp. I use a Noah's tarp over the mt tent for more protection.

09-Sep-20

Monday late morn I had to go to the meadow and check out the trail camera that had been up for two weeks. Tree stand pict, and not the tail camera which is near the base of the tree. Notice mud wallow to rt, at 19 yards with stake in ground
Monday late morn I had to go to the meadow and check out the trail camera that had been up for two weeks. Tree stand pict, and not the tail camera which is near the base of the tree. Notice mud wallow to rt, at 19 yards with stake in ground

09-Sep-20

one small pond where they drink and do some splashing around
one small pond where they drink and do some splashing around
35 yards from tree stand
35 yards from tree stand
elk action at the meadow

09-Sep-20

but here are two bulls sparing around from last year.
but here are two bulls sparing around from last year.
Some good action on the trail camera showing a good 5x5, some smaller bulls and a few cows and calf elk. but as Sept 1 came the action, am , mid day and later PM started to slow down. I left the SD card at camp so can not show you those pics.

09-Sep-20

So the first day, Wed Sept 2, of the season finds me in my tree stand looking over the wet meadow. I had high expeditions. I did not see or hear an elk that morning or evening but just like last year, needed to stay with it.

Second day, Sept 3, Thurs. Nothing this AM, I might have heard a low bull call well off.

Second day Thurs PM. After the wind settles, I only have 1 1/4 hr to set the tree stand before last shooting light, usually from 7 pm to last shooting light. I hear a bull do a small short grunt/squeal higher up on the ridge many yards away and 20 minutes before last light, this bull , at least a 4x4, walks into the opposite end of the meadow 65 yards away and just taking his time. Unaware of me being there and actually he walked through, and may be even stepped on a few dried up bones of the elk I kill last year on the second day AM. Well there is was again a year later, the second day but the PM. Will lighting strike twice in the same place? It has been very warm and he want to wallow and drink. So he get to the wallow 50 yards away, starts hoof/leg splashing and continues that for the next 15 minutes, getting really wet. Interesting to watch but I was urging him to continue his slow march to me. Time was running out. Then he goes to the water hole 35 yards away and spends a few minutes drinking. I can hear him slurping up the water but harder now to make him out in the fading light, but with the compound bow, a shot opportunity at the last second. Here he comes but by the time he reaches the mud wallow 19 yards away I can just make out the tan part of his body and can hardly see his head gear. I watch him sniff around for other elk smells and to see who might have been there. I draw back the recurve bow but then let down has he walks out of the picture. End of day two.

09-Sep-20
Day 3, am, Friday. Back in the tree stand and stayed there until 9 am when the wind switches. I was remembering last year this day, hiking down to a packer to come up and retrieved my elk meat that I had field processed and bagged, the day before. NO action this morn.

Day 3 PM, back in the tree stand as the day before. Heard the same light bull grunt/squeal as the evening before so I decided to cow call and do a light bull squeal and maybe he would arrive earlier than last night. It worked and here he come at least 15 minuted earlier, through the same opening at the far end. He heads to the wallow but only spends a minute or two there and then proceeds to the drinking hole but only make a few gulps. He his now heading for the mud wallow 19 yards away and I have plenty of shooting light. I get set, standing with arrow nocked and tension on the recurve bow string. He is now broadside. I pick a spot, draw back and release.

09-Sep-20
Great stuff! Glad you gave yourself a well deserved break. Time to get back at it!

09-Sep-20
Looking forward to this one.

09-Sep-20
Classic Paul, leaves us with an arrow in flight! Good stuff!

09-Sep-20
I hope he got it. But, after reading the top post, it seems like he is still planning to hunt. So, if he killed that bull, why would he still be hunting later? Can you get more than one tag in CO? Cow tag maybe?

09-Sep-20
Love Paul's stories!!!

09-Sep-20
The arrow is on its way...... and Paul leaves us hanging great story so far

09-Sep-20
UGH...................................he has me hook, line and sinker! ;-)

09-Sep-20

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

09-Sep-20
Yup....

Looking forward to the 3rd installment, Paul!

NOW GET WITH IT!

09-Sep-20
I'm thinking this story doesn't end well for the bull.

09-Sep-20
Paul, you are the best. Leave us with so much suspense with everybody reading into the first post to try to figure out clues to what happened. My guess is dead elk and you only need to go back for camp but the recurve is a huge challenge so maybe not.

09-Sep-20
How do you keep a bunch of fellas in suspense? I think Paul knows the answer to that question.

Looking forward to the rest of this story!

09-Sep-20
Mystery! Suspend! Drama! Perfect storm! Good job Paul!

09-Sep-20
80.5 yrs young....you are an inspiration and one tough ole' bird!

09-Sep-20
Ok, Ok, there is the rest of this part of the story. More to come.

So as I released with a smooth action I knew right away something went awry. The arrow kicked fletching left, off of the rest (not normal to this degree) and the nock coming off of the string/serving made a louder than normal noise. While the arrow did straighten up some, it was off course and ended up hitting near the rear foot of the elk, that was then facing to the right. What the Hell! I had just hoped to check off my bucket list, the killing a bull elk with the recurve bow. That just went down the drain! Why did this happen? ( I figured it out later)

The bull had no idea what had just happen but turned away and seeing the lighted nock glowing, and lowering his head, maybe smelling some human scent, he trotted off and out of my life and freezer. :)

So what had happen to make the arrow shaft kick off the the rest? I determined that it was the too tight of a fit of the lighted nock on the string serving. Yep. While I had shot these same nocks from my compound bow and the release was not effected, placing this nock on a thicker serving of the recurve string made the difference. Too tight of a fit. Back at camp, I filed down the inside of the nocks , and while still keeping a good grip on the string, but just not as tight as before. I did a couple of practice shot and the arrows flew true. What can I say? LIVE AND LEARN. My best, Paul

09-Sep-20
Paul, hate the bad luck for you but can learn from your positive attitude. We live to try again another day, don't we. Consolation prize of getting to enjoy more days in the mountains. Best of luck with the remainder of the hunt!

09-Sep-20
Enjoying all of it Paul!! Best of luck!!

09-Sep-20
Dangit!

Sorry Paul...very exciting encounter, though ! Keep hammerin' !

09-Sep-20
Bummer! Still plenty of season left. Good luck!

09-Sep-20
Being "stuck" on the mountain in God's creation isn't a bad thing. I know Paul enjoyed every minute. I'm betting on Paul getting it done and the story will be classic.

09-Sep-20
At least we will be treated to “part 3”! Looking forward to it, Paul!

09-Sep-20
thanks guys , I will head back on Monday to nicer weather for the follow week. The week I was up there, I saw 3 bulls, had close encounters with two. Saw only 2 cow elk and calf. Heard only one full bugle. No elk in the AM as I expected they were heading for their bedding areas under a full moon. All elk were seen in the PM after 6 PM and two of the bulls came to a wallow to cool off. I expect to hear and see more rutting activity when I arrive next week.

09-Sep-20
It will happen! I have faith in you gettin it done!

09-Sep-20
All true, Paul...Monday should be heading into prime time, when the herds start "figuring it all out". Moon phase better as well, good luck, Sir !

09-Sep-20
Good luck Paul !

09-Sep-20
Thanks Paul. Good luck? You are an inspiration to us all.

09-Sep-20
Thumbs UP!

09-Sep-20
Thanks for taking us along Paul! You will get your elk!! We have total faith.

10-Sep-20
Good luck as always Paul. I will have a bag of Dot's ready for part 3!

10-Sep-20

As some of you know I have friends up there and I can talk with animals. :)
As some of you know I have friends up there and I can talk with animals. :)
Dot, ok. As usually I lost my 6 pounds during that 9 day hunt and feel great, now 180 which is just 4 # more than in 1958 from HS. Now Tricia is feeding me great dinners I got to get back to the woods quickly before I bust a seam.

I might have to switch out the stick for the compound bow this next hunt. I have had a few close encounters with elk and with the stick but just can not seem to get it done and I rather kill a elk regardless of the weapon. While filling my buck list is sort of important I owe it to the elk to be as accurate as possible to a clean kill. I looked in the freezer and we are out of tenderloins, good enough reason.

Thanks for the support. I have replenished my supplies, packing some long underwear, and rain pants, (might even pack in the truck a snow camo top,)better boots for changing weather and few new books to read. With out the reading material, and days and early evenings would surely be longer as usual I do not see or hear another human for days as this last hunt for 9 days.

10-Sep-20
Good luck Paul and thanks for taking us along!

10-Sep-20
Good luck brother

10-Sep-20
Dang, that stickbow stuff can be tough! Hang in there Paul, we're all pulling for you!

That solitude sounds inviting! ;-)

10-Sep-20
GL. Thanks!

10-Sep-20
Good Luck Paul!!

10-Sep-20
Looking forward to the next update when I get back from NM. Good luck!

10-Sep-20
Paul, don’t give up on that recurve. Stick to your list.

10-Sep-20
Always enjoy you taking us/me along on your hunts on Bowsite! Keep the faith and that freezer will fill as it always has. Good luck when you get back on the mountain!

10-Sep-20
Im sure we will be reading a success story after next week!

10-Sep-20
Heck, after you get one with that recurve, I’m gonna give you another bucket list hunt;-).

Will even set you up with the bow and arrows!

Got a beautiful Osage selfbow with some good medicine built into it from a couple of legendary Colorado Bowhunters that would be pretty cool for you to whack an elk with!

10-Sep-20
Paul, not so sure you should dismiss your bucket list dream of arrowing a bull with recurve. Maybe a couple days off for perspective will change your mind. I believe you can get it done. Heck - you arrow geese and turkey with your recurve, an elk is much larger target. I’ve got confidence in your recurve abilities!

You’ve had more opportunities in the first 4 days than most have in a year. You’ve proven your ability to get close, your miss was equipment failure, which you’ve corrected. Good luck!

10-Sep-20
Great read good luck Paul thanks for sharing Lewis

10-Sep-20
Tough one in the nock situation. Sounded like it would have been a nice kill. Good luck on your return hunt!

13-Sep-20
Always a good read Paul - lov'n the story "so far". Good luck. Bob

13-Sep-20
Hang in there Paul, luck with you Sir!

ElkNut

14-Sep-20
Good luck Paul!

16-Sep-20
Best of luck Paul!!! Dump the struggle stick and go with the wheels! ;-)

>>>>-------->

16-Oct-20
if you missed it, my elk hunt

• Sitka Gear