Ambush 10-Sep-20
Matt 10-Sep-20
No Mercy 10-Sep-20
Katahdin 10-Sep-20
So467 10-Sep-20
sticksender 12-Sep-20
Huntcell 12-Sep-20
09-Sep-20
I would like to be able to hunt a Canada moose and will start applying to states that offer the opportunity in the lower 48. I know that Maine offers tags. How many other states offer hunts for Canada moose. The odds must be poor but I feel like I should start trying. Do any of the states that offer tags have an auction type tag? Most likely our northern border will reopen but want to explore the other opportunities. Looking for some Bowsiter's advice. I will check out Huntin Fools' also.

09-Sep-20
Don’t forget eastern Montana counts as a Canada moose. I think Vermont and New Hampshire have tags?

Realistically though The cost of an eastern Canada moose is pretty cheap ($4-5k?) that is probably not even worth the money into the draws plus a NR tag fee... The border will open and I bet there will be deals in the next year or two.

09-Sep-20
Getting into lower 48 draws for moose at this point is tossing money in the shit can. Save the money, book a hunt and go

09-Sep-20
I did not realize that eastern Montana counts as Canada moose. Thanks for the tip! I have hunts booked but can't go Trial153 unless things change.

09-Sep-20
IMO....if ya want a Canadian moose...go to Canada. No draw and probably cheaper than trying get enough points to draw in the states. Of course the border is closed at the moment but it will open one day....probably sooner if a vaccine is developed. Put a place marker in now with an outfitter up there so when the border does open back up, you'll be all set. I went twice and went 1 for 2 on rifle hunts.

You're hearing this here first........I'm speculating that when the border does open.....there will be a mad rush of hunters booking hunts up there for all types of critters and could even clog things up for a year or two or three. Plan ahead.....

09-Sep-20
Wait till after the election. Things will change rapidly when the political BS quiets down.

09-Sep-20
I’d like you to be able to come hunt a moose. But really I care more if Trump is going open up Arizona for this Canuck to hunt coues and javelina :)

09-Sep-20
Who would have thought a Canada moose would have been the toughest tag for you to punch, Ned!

Good luck on your quest!

10-Sep-20
John, as stated in my P&Y measurer’s manual, any moose shot in Montana is classified as a Shiras moose, not a Canadian moose.

10-Sep-20
John, as stated in my P&Y measurer’s manual, any moose shot in Montana is classified as a Shiras moose, not a Canadian moose.

10-Sep-20
There is a push (by outfitters) to have southeastern BC moose reclassified as Shiras.

Also to have Vancouver Island deer reclassified as Sitka.

10-Sep-20
My understanding is DNA tests have validated the Moose in areas of extreme SE BC as shiras. Those moose are obstinate, refusing to recognize that they need to stay south of the border for that designation.

10-Sep-20
Unfortunately, the Eastern US is really your only option. The populations in ND, MN, and WI are resident only hunting, if there is hunting at all. Montana is considered Shiras.

10-Sep-20
you may get lucky but the NR chances in Maine and New Hampshire (Vermont is not an option now) the chances are not good. Newfoundland is my best suggestion, it is reasonably priced for these type of hunts. It is a secret in Maine but say NR get 10% of the tags, Maine lodges get guaranteed tags like 100 or so from the NR allocation.

10-Sep-20

So467's embedded Photo
So467's embedded Photo
It took us 17 years to draw a Maine moose tag. But it was worth the wait. This was 2019.

12-Sep-20
Yes to answer your question, all three states you mentioned auction off permits. You can hunt there next year, if price is no object. Good hunt but note the short seasons as compared to, say, most of the Shiras hunts in western states.

12-Sep-20
Wisconsin hasn’t had a season ever. The few moose come and go from UP, those stay any length time succumb to wolf and brain worn .

DNR has no plans to improve the situation for moose in the state.

Mn has recently gone to closed season on moose due to wolfs ticks and brain worm.

But there doing fantastic on the Michigan Isle Royal locates in Lake Superior . So well they reintroduced wolfs to try bring the numbers down.

Did that routine before the wolfs ate they self out s food source and died off also due inbreeding.

But a new crop of experts looking for long term study project and paycheck are repeating the scenario all over again.

Golly pays to be smart!

• Sitka Gear