cnelk 11-Sep-20
wytex 11-Sep-20
Mule Power 12-Sep-20
Kodiak 12-Sep-20
TD 12-Sep-20
09-Sep-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
The only scent I’ve ever found to work is mare’s urine for moose. Deer scents, for me, have been useless and I haven’t bought any in many years. But a buddy gave me these Carlton cow urine wafers before I went out on September 1st and I didn’t put any out. I’m leaving Saturday for a different area to mostly sit treestands on trails. The area goes from wide valley bottom to high ridges. So prevailing winds and reasonably predictable thermals.

Other than “can’t hurt” has anybody had any success with these particular scent pads. I know they’ve been around quite a long time.

09-Sep-20
I Kno it's a bad idea to leave these on hat that is left on your dash in 80 degree weather.

09-Sep-20
If you ever want to jack with some just take one with the safety pin and stick under someone's truck seat.

09-Sep-20
Years ago, we had a sketchy wind, while watching a nervous 6x6 ....so I cracked the canister on some of those wafers.

That bull almost immediately, kicked in the afterburners...and was gone over the ridge. It's the one and only time I ever used them.

09-Sep-20
Hell no. Masks the scent of real elk when you need to smell it.

09-Sep-20
I have no intention of putting them on or near me. That’s why the unopened package laid out side in the rain. Rather, I’d put out a “chum line”. For moose I make a large L with wicks. About ten years ago, I was deer hunting and an elk hunter there shot a very good bull (rifle) that had his nose on a wafer sitting on top a fence post.

But I’m also good with just hearing more funny stories involving the stink.

10-Sep-20
Which begs the question: Is there any product that will help hide your scent. Skunk scent works down in Texas for whitetails, so I tried it once in elk country, they spooked! Anyone who feels like they have tried something that worked?

10-Sep-20
txhunter showering and clean clothes .

10-Sep-20
Some bowhunters on here whose opinions I respect use Nose Jammer..... Badbull

10-Sep-20
Norseman +1. I find elk through sight, hearing, and smell. No way I’m going to effectively eliminate my ability to smell them.

10-Sep-20
Nose Jammer, but those who haven't tried it will swear it doesn't help.

The human odor animals smell comes from the gas passed by billions of bacteria living on the outside of our skin. NASA discovered that placing a base layer with silver thread next to the skin can kill some of the bacteria that causes body odor. So I wear silver base layers too.

10-Sep-20
Nothing covers human scent. Elk would just smell you and elk wafers.

10-Sep-20
Nope...I want to smell elk and if the wafer scent is going to the elk, then so is your scent.

11-Sep-20
I tried them a long time ago. Man do they stink. I still have gear that smells from them.

Hard Pass

11-Sep-20
Just gather up some pee dirt when you see it and use it as cover scent, works for us.

12-Sep-20
Those things smell NOTHING like elk! Besides if they can smell that from where a sweaty elk hunter is standing they can certainly smell him.

12-Sep-20
So 1990s...

12-Sep-20
I have friend or two with hats/clothes that smells like an elk pissed on em....... or maybe it was a cat got in their truck, but then they smell kinda that way anyhoo.........doesn't seem to their advantage as they don't kill much elk and the last one killed was at 220 yard or some such..... don't think it was do to any cover scents....

• Sitka Gear