Ksholle1 12-Sep-20
caribou77 12-Sep-20
Predeter 12-Sep-20
yeager 12-Sep-20
Teeton 12-Sep-20
Rob in VT 12-Sep-20
G-Man 12-Sep-20
10-Sep-20
Heading to Wyoming on Monday for an elk hunt. Getting conflicting reports online about construction/detours on I-80. Still wondering which might be the better way to go. If you have traveled on either route (especially if you live east of the Mississippi and have just made the trip) recently, I would appreciate your thoughts and observations.

10-Sep-20

10-Sep-20
NO comparison - I take 90 over 80 every time.

10-Sep-20
Not sure if this is recent enough info, but we drove I-80 between Iowa and Nevada in mid-August with no major detours or slowdowns.

10-Sep-20
Check your iPhone map app during business hours. It'll show slowdowns via both routes. Just do it before and right as you head out and continue checking in case something pops up. Just check your current location to where you're going repeatedly and you'll see which way to go and things to avoid.

A big thing to take into consideration aside from the above, is which metropolitan areas you'll be driving through between 0700 hrs - 0900 hrs and 1400 hrs - 1800 hrs and figure out where you'll be at those times so you don't get stuck in rush hour traffic.

That's why I drive across country on the weekends or during the night if I can help it.

10-Sep-20
medman where are you hunting in wyoming? i lived in buffalo for 4 yrs. at the base of the bighorns

10-Sep-20
If you're going to northern WY, I would take I-80 to Omaha, then jump on I-29 north to I-90 then west to northern Wyoming. By doing that you only pay one toll (something like $1.25 or $2.00???) vs getting shellacked by the many toll thieves ($$$$) and traffic back-ups in the Chicago area. I don't think it's that many more miles (<30 or 40 maybe) and you avoid any Chicago headaches. I take this route going to Montana. IMO it's less stressful.

10-Sep-20
I find just typing in phone and letting it tell you the best route is about as good of a guess as you are going to get. It takes all that you mentioned into account. Sometimes it will even tell you a short route is available if thing backup on current route.

10-Sep-20
JL is spot on Jake. 80 avoids the cluster known as Chicago. Then 29 up the west side of Iowa to 90. Good luck man. It’s been a long wait for this hunt. Please remember to tell Phil I said hello and best of luck with his season. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

10-Sep-20
80 to 29 to 90. Done it a lot

10-Sep-20
Moole has it. Take 80 and the south bypass around Chicago. I would drive an extra 100 miles to avoid Chitown. You can always cut up to 90 as you leave Iowa. Done it 20 times.

Good luck Jake!

10-Sep-20
I don't like 80 because of traffic. A couple times getting over the Laramie range area I've hit both lanes bumper to bumper trucks as far as the eye could see. Both were due to dangerous winds over the area, a fairly common deal.

10-Sep-20
90 has about 3 spots in S.D. that might slow you down a little but that’s it. If you find yourself in Sioux Falls Jake I’d gladly buy you dinner or some hydration. Safe travels buddy!

10-Sep-20
2x on the Waze app and I never go close enough to Chicago to catch 90. I take 80 or 70.

10-Sep-20
Jake, if you are going to the Casper/Douglas area, take 90 until it turns into 80. From there you will be heading to Davenport. Stay on 80 until you get to Ogalalla, Neb. Get off there an follow the signs to get to Rt. 26. Once on 26, you can drive 70+ mph. This will take you to Torrington. From there Rt. 26 T's at I 25 just south of Douglas. I 25 will take you to Casper area. This way will save you about 1 1/2 to 2 hours if you are looking to go to Cheyenne, then north. Cuts off a lot. The only really crazy driving will be in Cleveland. Then you will have some nutso driving in Chicago, but should not be to bad. davep

10-Sep-20
Dang, most of my Wyoming hunting is about 2 hours to 80, cross it and on dirt roads from there to about Shoshone...

Just have to worry about the oil field traffic or hitting an antelope or deer, depending on the timing.

10-Sep-20
Treeline, us less fortunate sons of guns drive at least 25 hours. Good quality bonding time mixed with a couple "discussions' about who shoots first??

10-Sep-20
Can someone just mail Jake a map with the route highlighted on it?

10-Sep-20
Have had a couple recent reports about significant delays on I-80.....but didn't know if they were due to construction (long term delays) or accidents (short term delays). Have a friend hunting moose in SE Wyoming right now. If I take I-80, I might be able to stop in his camp on my way through.....but not if delays will cost me a couple hours of driving time. I-90 has always been my go to route previously.

11-Sep-20
Biggest complaint on 80 is trucks passing trucks. You get one passing another and it takes MILES to get it done so you can go on through.

11-Sep-20
Just came home from Colorado through Laramie East on I-80 very little construction. No issues with traffic.

11-Sep-20
You can go 85mph in South Dakota. You can't do that in Nebraska.

11-Sep-20
I drove I-80 twice last week. Once late on Sept 2 from Lincoln, NE to Cheyenne, and then again on the night of the 6th/7th from Rock Springs to Lincoln, NE.

There were some construction areas but nothing very delaying. I think it was down to 1 lane for 20 some miles at one point, but I drove through that stretch at 65 mph.

There were a couple other one lane stretches, but nothing that backed up traffic or meant significant delays.

Have fun!

11-Sep-20
I live in northern Illinois west of Chicago ( Crystal Lake ) and recently returned from an antelope hunt in Wyoming. From my house I go on state highways to Janesville, WI and pickup I-90 there. There were a few areas along the way that were under construction, but nothing that were unbearable. Traffic kept flowing at a pretty good pace. Good luck on which way you go and on your elk hunt.

11-Sep-20
Yeager, I know that Janesville is the home of Rinehart targets. Would you happen to know if they have a retail store there?

11-Sep-20
Good luck Jake and looking forward to hunt recap.

11-Sep-20
80 to grand isle NE,

Hwy 2 to lusk wy

Lusk to Casper

Casper to wherever

12-Sep-20
Just Left Northern Colorado Thursday evening and pulled into Eastern PA last night...took 80 the whole way no problems. (Did drive through the night though)

12-Sep-20
Lol this is like a Hoyt / Matthews thread (in which case it’s Elite) I just took 90 last week to Gillette. There are a couple 20 mile construction strips but they slow you down to 65. I drove out on a Thursday and home Tuesday in the rain. That would be one reason I had no problems.

12-Sep-20
Just drove 80 last week from IA to UT. No major construction just a few slow down spots as mentioned above. Did 90 in July and will be doing it again in about 3 weeks. Didn't have any issues on 90 either.

I will say 80 is a better road IMO. 90 is getting rough in a few places.

12-Sep-20
Jake.......pm answered.

12-Sep-20
Medicnemann, I'll be no help as I'm sitting in a airport wait on my flight. I'll be hunt Wyoming with a buddy that's picking me up at the Laramie airport. We are hunting elk. What and where you hunting? I have two places with a few spots in each place to hunt. We are hunting eather Wind River and/or Snowy areas. Ed

12-Sep-20
I traveled from Vermont to Sheridan WY mid July. I took I90 West to Elkhart IN. Around there I90 and I80 becomes one road. I90 heads north through the center of Chicago and I80 heads west to Des Moines IA. We chose to avoid Chicago and headed towards Des Moines then I29 north to Sioux Falls and picked up I90 again west to Sheridan. It’s about the same distance as going through Chitown but without going through the center of the city.

12-Sep-20
I always do 85 in Nebraska.

• Sitka Gear