LINK 22-Sep-20
10-Sep-20

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
I usually make my own oatmeal concoction but since I always have to pack my water in to my hunting area I decided to make it into a bar so I don't need as much water. I thought I would share the recipe because I thought they came out pretty dam good. I wanted something that was somewhat healthy, filling, low sugar, long lasting, good for you saturated fats and protein.

If anyone else has a good recipe please share it.

I have it broke down so that you could make one bar to try before making a whole pan. When I made my bars I split the dried fruit up and made half blueberry and the other half cranberry.

10-Sep-20
This looks great. I make Fuzzy Meal Bars now but want to try these. The bottom of the recipe is a little blurry on my phone. Can you confirm the oven temp for the final stage? Looks like 250 but I can't tell.

10-Sep-20

elkmtngear's Link
Did Fuzzy Meal bars before, they are very good, but with a lower calorie count I believe.

Last Year, I used Cnelk's recipe, for backcountry granola...it was great, doing it again this Year (See Link)

11-Sep-20
Thank you for posting this. Can you clarify what '1/8" stick of butter' means? Should it say 1 stick of butter?

11-Sep-20
These look great! I eat Bobo’s Oat bars for breakfast a lot now in the field and these are very similar!

11-Sep-20
Jaquomo, It does say 250 degrees, basically it is to give the liquids a chance to embed in the oatmeal.

MA_Bowhunter, The 1/8th inch of butter is just a slice off of a stick of butter and that is for the the one bar recipe, Lol I am a carpenter

11-Sep-20
I usually do instant oatmeal with protein for breakfast

11-Sep-20
I need eggs in the morning. Helps repair my broken down body on a hunt.

11-Sep-20
Brotsky, I had never heard of Bobo's bars, looks like they have an assortment of good flavors. I bet I could eat one of those bars and be hungry shortly after which is why I tried to incorporate ingredients that are calorie and healthy fat dense with no added sugar. I imagine many people wouldn't need or want to eat the size of bar I made but I need something that is going to stick with me till at least mid morning. This recipe filled a large cookie sheet and cut into 12- 4"x4"x1/2" bars, the bars ended up thinner (1/2" thick) than my trial bar which was 4"x5"x3/4". If you were to cut those 12 bars in half then you would have 24 -2"x4" bars at about 300 + calories per bar and the cost is much cheaper than buying.

11-Sep-20
Bobo bars keep me filled like few bars do. Its my go to for breakfast. Ive even eaten them for lunch on crazy work days and i do fine with them.

11-Sep-20
That said, i am going to try this recipe! Love making my own stuff, thanks for posting.

11-Sep-20
"Did Fuzzy Meal bars before, they are very good, but with a lower calorie count I believe."

Fuzzy is a friend of mine. Having looked at him, I doubt that. ;-)

12-Sep-20

LINK's embedded Photo
Also scrambled eggs with spicy brats chopped up.
LINK's embedded Photo
Also scrambled eggs with spicy brats chopped up.

12-Sep-20
Hard to beat bacon!!

13-Sep-20
Bobo's bars have become a favorite of mine, they are great. I tried a Heather's choice breakfast the other day, that was horrendous...

15-Sep-20
The outfitter i went with this year had bacon and peanut butter wrapped in a flour tortilla. Keep just fine in your pack and are high calorie and mighty tasty.

22-Sep-20
Daughter took a nutrition class and gave me this recipe for Energy Balls: 1 cup dry oats (rolled or quick) 2/3 cup coconut flakes 1/2 cup peanut butter 1/2 cup ground flax seed 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar 1 tsp. vanilla extract Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling into 1" balls. I make them and put them in the freezer. They don't have enough water to freeze hard so they are great to grab and go early in the morning.

22-Sep-20
Tagging for later, these are great ideas!

22-Sep-20
I like tree bark and crickets.... Jp those look good noq uite sure my Fred Flintstone cooking ability might miss and ingredient or two....just about to pack into a place in wyoming and for B-fast trying something new the instant oatmeals with a big scoop of protein powder lots of water in there or so they say...... if not look for the birds

22-Sep-20
Scott in Kansas, that sounds similar to an energy bits recipe my wife makes minus the chocolate chips. Well take them to ball games and other events just cold in a plastic bag. By the time they turn room temp it looks like your eating human waste out of a bag, lol. It sure is good though and better cold.

• Sitka Gear