mrelite 20-Oct-20
10-Sep-20

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
I usually make my own oatmeal concoction but since I always have to pack my water in to my hunting area I decided to make it into a bar so I don't need as much water. I thought I would share the recipe because I thought they came out pretty dam good. I wanted something that was somewhat healthy, filling, low sugar, long lasting, good for you saturated fats and protein.

If anyone else has a good recipe please share it.

I have it broke down so that you could make one bar to try before making a whole pan. When I made my bars I split the dried fruit up and made half blueberry and the other half cranberry.

10-Sep-20
This looks great. I make Fuzzy Meal Bars now but want to try these. The bottom of the recipe is a little blurry on my phone. Can you confirm the oven temp for the final stage? Looks like 250 but I can't tell.

10-Sep-20

elkmtngear's Link
Did Fuzzy Meal bars before, they are very good, but with a lower calorie count I believe.

Last Year, I used Cnelk's recipe, for backcountry granola...it was great, doing it again this Year (See Link)

11-Sep-20
Thank you for posting this. Can you clarify what '1/8" stick of butter' means? Should it say 1 stick of butter?

11-Sep-20
These look great! I eat Bobo’s Oat bars for breakfast a lot now in the field and these are very similar!

11-Sep-20
Jaquomo, It does say 250 degrees, basically it is to give the liquids a chance to embed in the oatmeal.

MA_Bowhunter, The 1/8th inch of butter is just a slice off of a stick of butter and that is for the the one bar recipe, Lol I am a carpenter

11-Sep-20
I usually do instant oatmeal with protein for breakfast

11-Sep-20
I need eggs in the morning. Helps repair my broken down body on a hunt.

11-Sep-20
Brotsky, I had never heard of Bobo's bars, looks like they have an assortment of good flavors. I bet I could eat one of those bars and be hungry shortly after which is why I tried to incorporate ingredients that are calorie and healthy fat dense with no added sugar. I imagine many people wouldn't need or want to eat the size of bar I made but I need something that is going to stick with me till at least mid morning. This recipe filled a large cookie sheet and cut into 12- 4"x4"x1/2" bars, the bars ended up thinner (1/2" thick) than my trial bar which was 4"x5"x3/4". If you were to cut those 12 bars in half then you would have 24 -2"x4" bars at about 300 + calories per bar and the cost is much cheaper than buying.

11-Sep-20
Bobo bars keep me filled like few bars do. Its my go to for breakfast. Ive even eaten them for lunch on crazy work days and i do fine with them.

11-Sep-20
That said, i am going to try this recipe! Love making my own stuff, thanks for posting.

11-Sep-20
"Did Fuzzy Meal bars before, they are very good, but with a lower calorie count I believe."

Fuzzy is a friend of mine. Having looked at him, I doubt that. ;-)

12-Sep-20

LINK's embedded Photo
Also scrambled eggs with spicy brats chopped up.
LINK's embedded Photo
Also scrambled eggs with spicy brats chopped up.

12-Sep-20
Hard to beat bacon!!

13-Sep-20
Bobo's bars have become a favorite of mine, they are great. I tried a Heather's choice breakfast the other day, that was horrendous...

15-Sep-20
The outfitter i went with this year had bacon and peanut butter wrapped in a flour tortilla. Keep just fine in your pack and are high calorie and mighty tasty.

22-Sep-20
Daughter took a nutrition class and gave me this recipe for Energy Balls: 1 cup dry oats (rolled or quick) 2/3 cup coconut flakes 1/2 cup peanut butter 1/2 cup ground flax seed 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar 1 tsp. vanilla extract Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling into 1" balls. I make them and put them in the freezer. They don't have enough water to freeze hard so they are great to grab and go early in the morning.

22-Sep-20
Tagging for later, these are great ideas!

22-Sep-20
I like tree bark and crickets.... Jp those look good noq uite sure my Fred Flintstone cooking ability might miss and ingredient or two....just about to pack into a place in wyoming and for B-fast trying something new the instant oatmeals with a big scoop of protein powder lots of water in there or so they say...... if not look for the birds

22-Sep-20
Scott in Kansas, that sounds similar to an energy bits recipe my wife makes minus the chocolate chips. Well take them to ball games and other events just cold in a plastic bag. By the time they turn room temp it looks like your eating human waste out of a bag, lol. It sure is good though and better cold.

16-Oct-20
That said, i am going to try this recipe! Love making my own stuff, thanks for posting.

19-Oct-20

mrelite - I had my daughter make your recipe for me recently. It was very good. Thank you for sharing.

This is NOT for a pack in but for something quick and complete when you are leaving your house in the morning - though perhaps too low in fat

1) 1 1/4 cup of "quick oats" which is basically a whole oat that has been milled up. 2) 25 grams of your favorite protein powder. I prefer a vegetable protein or casein rather than a fast acting whey. 3) 1 cup of egg whites - ( I use the cart from costco for these and just pour it out) 4) Two table spoons of peanut butter 5) Either almond milk, water, or cow's milk

Add to a protein shaker cup. Shake it up and drink it on the way. I can put it together in less than 5 minutes. 15 grams of fat or so, 50 grams of protein, and 54 grams of a lower glycemic carbohydrate. Add the oatmeal and protein powder together, dry. Shake it up to mix them together then pour in liquids, then add peanut butter towards end. Add two ice cubes to help break things up. Cary a bottle of water as you drink it to add more fluid to it.

I have a high metabolism and this gets me through the morning. On cold mornings I wait as long as possible (until I get closer to where I am hunting on the drive) to drink it -before I go in to stay warmer.

Best part is you only have one cup to clean and you can drink it in the car before going in. Though give yourself 5 minutes or so to drink it because it is a lot going into the gut at once.

20-Oct-20
Candor, glad you liked them.

That would be one hell of a drink!

• Sitka Gear