jstephens61 18-Sep-20
Mule Power 18-Sep-20
Charlie Rehor 18-Sep-20
spike78 18-Sep-20
Screwball 18-Sep-20
Cornpone 18-Sep-20
Cornpone 18-Sep-20
15-Sep-20
I read an article lately by Chuck Adams. He still writes about the experience but is quiet about equipment. I noticed his arrows are equipped with red vanes or feathers and I think the cock vane is white. In days gone by he hunted with a Reflex Caribou . Does anyone know what he shoots now. I always remember his long ATA bow and his insistence on hitting them squarely instead of hitting them fast.

15-Sep-20
Have always enjoyed his writing. Saw him at an archery/bowhunting event many years ago.

15-Sep-20
My Dad and I were hunting antelope in Colorado and we pulled into the Victory Hotel in Maybell one afternoon. We pulled in and there was a guy loading his old, dusty, beat up Blazer with his pack and bow. He was wearing tattered, old camo and had a biscuit in his mouth. He turned and we asked him how the huntin had been. When he turned my Dad recognized him and said "Hey you're smilin Chuck!" He laughed and talked to us for a few minutes. He invited us in and Phil Philip's and Toxey Haas were just getting ready to watch the footage of Toxey smoking a nice buck antelope from that morning. It was pretty incredible as a kid to have that experience. All of them were very down to earth good dudes!

15-Sep-20
I like his books and articles. Quite an accomplished bowhunter to say the least.

15-Sep-20
I've never met him, but he seems quite humble during interviews for someone that has accomplished what he has.

15-Sep-20
Met him a couple times at trade shows. Couldn’t ask for a nicer guy. A true ambassador for archery and bowhunting. Remember reading only that he would never film a hunt. He does it for himself, not the camera.

15-Sep-20
A true legend...He could have cashed in big time...but made his own path...

15-Sep-20
I used to read his stories and thought "rich stupid guy with a bad grin and stupid knit hat". About 15 years ago he was a speaker at an event at a Denver show and I didn't have anything better to do, so I sat in. He talked of having nothing, his passion cost him a wife, etc. I left impressed. Seems the reason he does well is he hunts hard and long. I am now a fan.

15-Sep-20
His book "Super Slam" is an excellent read. I still remember the challenges of his AZ Bison hunt and the Dall Sheep hunt was an epic read. Chuck is the original "Super Slammer", maybe not the first to accomplish it but I'm pretty sure he coined the term.

15-Sep-20
I like his articles and admired him as a kid. As for what he shoots, up until a year or 2 ago Hoyt still made a longer axle to axle bow that was the “Chuck Adams signature series”...

15-Sep-20

huntinelk's Link

15-Sep-20
I just missed him at the same camp that Twinetickler is probably talking about. We didn't stay at the motel, but instead in an old house that Phil had. I really wished that I could have met him. I did get to meet Tim and Shirley Strickland out there.

15-Sep-20
Met him a couple times at shows.. He is a good ol boy. I took a picture of my 2 G-sons with him a few years back & "they" have no idea who he was..

15-Sep-20
Tilzbow-"His book "Super Slam" is an excellent read. I still remember the challenges of his AZ Bison hunt and the Dall Sheep hunt was an epic read. Chuck is the originally "Super Slammer", maybe not the first to accomplish it but I'm pretty sure he coined the term."

Chuck IS the first documented hunter to complete the NA 27, and 29 with a bow!! that was the whole point of the "Super Slam" in the first place. (G$CO may sue for me saying slam since they have it copy righted)

15-Sep-20
At 68/69 Chuck is still stacking animals like cord wood. Amazing drive on many levels.

16-Sep-20
I was at the Indiana Deer “Spectacular” last year. Chuck was a speaker. It was so sad to see has small a crowd in that mass of humanity had any idea the knowledge they were missing. There were single digits sitting in all the chairs and bleachers. The “experts” of today packed them in talking about how difficult it is to sit over a food plot on their 2500 acre private mecca...

Blows my mind.

16-Sep-20
Met the man years ago at a sports show in Madison WI. i was amazed at how down to earth he was, almost shy to the attention he was getting. I asked him a couple questions and he was more than happy to just chat hunting and share what he has learned. One thing he said has always stuck with me. Scents and calls are ok but always always have the wind or walk away.

16-Sep-20
I wish he would right an elk hunting book. He hunts so much differently than all the other experts. I think there would be information to be gained. At least for me.

16-Sep-20
I've always been impressed by the fact that in this day and age of latest and greatest and all the technology, he still uses very long axle to axle bows with big aluminum arrows, 5" plastic vanes and fingers.

16-Sep-20
He won't be popular with the "today" crowd, he doesn't video hunts, so won't be on youtube, he hunts and writes. He's still in Bugle in each edition. the one time I met him he was sold out of the super slam book, but had the special edition (I forget why), but it made a $15 book cost like $100. He almost seemed ashamed when he said that, and when I balked, he agreed and pointed me to Amazon. Seemed humble.

16-Sep-20
I think he's great. I met him at Cabelas one time and he was just as nice as could be. Very humble and very willing to answer any questions I had. Time flies, I bet that was over 20 years ago.

16-Sep-20
Great guy. Met him at Harrisburg PA and he hung around after his talk to take pictures and sign photos. Still have them and consider him to be the ultimate human predator. A lot of guys bash him because they are jealous but read his books and he is the real deal.

16-Sep-20
I agree with all who say good things but I would still like to know what he currently shoots for a bow. After reading his stories I would love to share a hunting camp with him but I suspect I could not keep up when it was time to hunt.

16-Sep-20
In the podcast that huntinelk posted a link to Chuck Adams says that he will be hunting this year with Hoyt's latest RX bow. While he also states that before now he has always been a finger shooter. He plans to take his 200th Pope and Young animal with Hoyt's latest RX!!!

16-Sep-20
He was a legend at such an early age which is amazing considering how little technology existed back in the day. Social media was non- existent and there were no outdoor channels. Everything was pretty much person to person word of mouth. I started bow hunting in 1978 as a sophomore in HS and everyone knew of him back then and tried to even be more like him. I met him at one of the outdoor shows here in PHX 20 years ago or so and he seemed very unassuming and a stand up guy. Very low key and he is definitely a listener and not a talker.

16-Sep-20
Met him at the Sportsmans Expo in SLC back in 2005. Only talked with him briefly because he was busy with others. Nice guy and he signed my Super Slam and Life at Full Draw books. I enjoy his column in Bowhunter mag.

16-Sep-20
I seem to remember most people complained about Chuck in his hay day. Accusing him of either violating laws or buying animals and many other crazy accusations. Now he is respected as working harder than most back then. And of course having 30 days to dedicate to one animal. He is a very talented hunter and archer. And now gets the Deserved respect

Someone told me they saw no one waiting to talk to Myles Keller at some hunting expo while hundreds waited for Lee and Tiffany signatures. To each their own

16-Sep-20
Still have a hard time getting over his promoting LONG LONG range shots. If he comes to our convention I will stay in the room for his speech.

16-Sep-20

JL's Link
Someone's FB page for Chuck Adams. Numerous pics to check out.

16-Sep-20
I've always been an Adams fan. As far as him advocating long shots he only does so if you have the capability. Let's face it, at unalerted animals, there are guys out there who can kill it at 60 or 70 yards and beyond whereas the "average" guy shouldn't shoot at more than 20 yards. Look at Levi Morgan. Give him a shot at upwards of 100 yards...unalerted, standing still...and he's going to kill it. Just the way it is. You can't talk distance unless you also mention ability. Now me...I'm in that 20-30 yard area. What did Clint Eastwood say in one of his movies..."A man's gotta know his limitations."

16-Sep-20
Yup, all these guys can kill at 70-100+ yards, unless the animal takes a step or two while the arrow is in flight. Then you have a rodeo, aka wounded animal. I don’t cate what size groups you shoot at 100 yards.

16-Sep-20
I first met Chuck Adams at a private party about 30 yrs or so ago. He was already renowned with his hunting exploits.

I met him at the St. Louis P&Y Convention and reintroduced myself. I told him were we first met. He went into full detail about the party (location, weather, people present and noted the large number of lightening bugs (fire flies) that were flying everywhere. His detailed description of the events of that night blew me away. He was most cordial my first meeting with him. He was equally cordial at the second meeting.

He was the keynote speaker one of the meals. He had a beautiful slide presentation of hunting Ishe Country for deer. Never once did he consult a script or notes. He has a phenomenal memory and a tremendous communicator.

I was a crying shame the way he was treated by the older members of P&Y. It boiled down to pure jealousy. He proved that "the cream always rises to the top". He is a tremendous advocate for bowhunting.

16-Sep-20
Yep, met him the first time when I was about 19 or 20 I am 52, very humble, talked to me like I was his friend and he has always been a good guy in my opinion!

Like I have always said... Jealousy Sucks!!!

16-Sep-20
Never met them... but Back in the mid 1980s when I started bowhunting I thought Chuck Adams and Myles Keller were both good guys and hunters..still feel that way. I had a Xi Legend Magnum with Recurved limbs around 1990? it was endorsed by Mr Keller and was a really nice shooting bow. Took a few deer with it.

16-Sep-20
If Chuck was hungry, I'd buy him a meal. If Chuck was broke down on the highway, I'd give him a lift. If Chuck was cold, I'd loan him a coat. If Chuck was speaking, I would NOT walk across the street to listen. Wasn't always that way. There was a time when I had to have a new Hoyt Super Slam Heat and shoot fingers...just to be like Chuck. Times change, personalities disappoint, life goes on.

16-Sep-20
I have always been a fan of Chuck's writing

17-Sep-20
The thing i like about Chuck is he has done it all and will still shoot a forky to fill a tag and bring home some meat.

17-Sep-20
Interesting that he spoke about his passion costing him his wife. I feel badly that he lost family over hunting. Quite a legend to be sure. An icon

17-Sep-20
I've always admired the way he wrote of his shot distances and shot selection. He didn't cave to the PC crowd of double lung, 20yd, grunted to a stop only shots. He knows the animals he hunts, knows the ability of his gear and knows his own abilities. And I've never seen him apologize for the way he hunts. That speaks volumes.

17-Sep-20
Bison story was epic

17-Sep-20
Chuck was speaking at the Harrisburg show a few years ago. I've read every article he's written & purchased every book he's authored; to say I'm a fan would be an understatement. So I drag my wife along for the several - hour drive down to the show primarily just to see the one guy I've followed essentially my whole life. Well, I saw him alright. First, while other speakers were assigned a nice quiet room where one could listen to said speaker w/o any distraction - they had Chuck conducting his seminar out on the main floor surrounded by bleachers for seating. Attendance was good but not great, which kind of surprised me considering his accomplishments. Second, I can only assume he had been told to "dumb - down" his presentation slightly, because rather than speaking of one of his numerable hunts / experiences, he spent an hour literally holding a compound bow & pointing to the various trinkets on it while saying "...........this is a fiber - optic sight, & what it does is.........." & ".......this is a rest, & what it does is............" When the question & answer segment commenced, I asked him how he navigated his way through forests, over tundra, & across desert BEFORE the advent of gps & eagerly awaited his answer, confident we were now about to hear the "meat & potatoes" of his exploits. He gave the utmost vanilla answer, then promptly returned to "........this is a treestand. Does anybody have any questions?" Considering the whole of what I had just witnessed I was more than just a little disappointed; almost sad for him.

18-Sep-20
That’s sad as I am not sure what the other “Pros” bring to the table. I honestly don’t care that they shot a 180” buck on a ranch that the guide scouted for them.

18-Sep-20
Is hunting worth losing your wife/family?

18-Sep-20
No, I would never divorce my wife due to the amount of time and money she spent hunting.

18-Sep-20
I wonder if anyone else has ever gotten divorced because of their chosen profession requiring time away from home? Maybe there were other contributing factors, maybe...

18-Sep-20
Discussing another mans divorce when none of the facts are known and he isn’t even a registered user. Is this keeping up with the kardasians? Bowsite has hit a new low...

18-Sep-20

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Still pasted above the work bench, article from a magazine Chuck Adams completes North American Big Game Super Slam

18-Sep-20
Is hunting worth losing your wife/family?

No

18-Sep-20
His ex probably wanted him to get a real job. Nobody knows the real circumstances and it's none of our business.

18-Sep-20
X2 Ghostbird.

18-Sep-20
Always looked up to Chuck. Always looked forward to reading his stuff. Great bowhunter that worked hard and learned and did it his way. Great respect for him.

18-Sep-20
X3 GhostBird

18-Sep-20
X4 Ghostbird. Probably just a mismatch from the start. It happens. I used to speak to him and his girlfriend before the show in Harrisburg every year. They seemed very happy.

I’m glad to see that jealousy hasn’t ruined this thread and hunters are giving him the respect he deserves. I found him to be a very humble soft spoken man. I enjoyed his book Life at Full Draw too.

18-Sep-20
He’s prolly shot an elk and a mule deer this week so it may take him a while to clarify things.

18-Sep-20
He just got married I believe so problem solved lol

18-Sep-20
I lost a fiancé over hunting and trapping. She decided she wasn't wanting a part of it so bye bye. Not regrets, found one that joins me on all of it and out hunts me often. Chuck is a legend and great guy.

18-Sep-20
Marriages can evolve over time. When newly wedded your main mutual goal is to keep your spouse happy. Then each of you may realize different paths...and those paths may not be in the same direction. Yours may be to hunt as much as you can...hers, if a non-hunter...even though she may support your passion...may be to travel or such. Now a problem is generated...even though you may love each other. This is sort of what happened to me in my first marriage. It was never because we didn't love each other as much as that , as we matured, our paths went in different directions.

18-Sep-20
That said...you're most important decision in life is the choice of a spouse. Do so very, very wisely. It will definitely determine the future.

• Sitka Gear