rattling_junkie 05-Oct-20
jstephens61 05-Oct-20
Drahthaar 07-Oct-20
paul@thefort 07-Oct-20
Shawn 07-Oct-20
Shawn 07-Oct-20
Scar Finga 07-Oct-20
20-Sep-20
When I first joined Bowsite, it seemed that every other thread was about VPA heads. It was like everyone used them.

I decided last week to order a set. I’m a little slow sometimes.

Started shooting them tonight and to say the least, I’m impressed. So why is there no love for VPA anymore?

Anyone still shoot them?

20-Sep-20
I go between them, slick tricks and ironwills depending on my bow setup- recurve or compound.

20-Sep-20
Plenty of love! Folks just seem to love slick tricks more??

I honestly love VPA’’s. I have an issue (maybe unreasonable) that the high carbon steel presents a potential corrosion issue during a hunt with high moisture content (ie, Alaska)

That and the heads require sharpening prior to hunting with them....I’m not lazy and actually enjoy sharpening stuff, but if your heads are selling at top dollar, ship them shave sharp!!

I’ve killed a bunch of stuff with VPA’s, but I still default to ST’s for the reasons mentioned....

20-Sep-20
I shot the original Snuffers in the early ‘90s and enjoyed sharpening them and the fact that I didn’t have to buy replacement blades every year. That’s why I’m looking at the VPA.

20-Sep-20
Any thread about broadheads, and you will find love for VPAs. I love them. A no nonsense, strong, bad ass broadhead.

20-Sep-20
I'm back on them now that they make a stainless steel version. Killed my last couple of animals with them.

20-Sep-20
Greg, does Tom carry them? He’s the one that got me hooked on Snuffers.

20-Sep-20
I still have a collection of 2-blade and 3-blade 125 gr. VPA's that I still use.

20-Sep-20
There's still a lot of Bowsiters who use VPAs, myself included. They penetrate so damn well and keep an edge.

They will rust on a long moist hunt. This is solved by getting any kind of oil: gun oil, olive oil, etc, and putting a tad on a paper towel and rubbing your heads down before a hunt. I've even used the oil from my brow/nose on a hunt after sharpening and it works. Don't forget to do the threaded part of the BH before you screw them in so they don't become a permanent fixture in the arrow.

Lots of guys switching to Iron Will BHs. I'm interested as I'd like a larger cutting diameter, but I really want a 125 grain unvented head as well.

20-Sep-20
You can use dry fly silicone spray to keep them rust free.

20-Sep-20
Both the wife and I switched to them last year dont figure ill change anytime soon.

20-Sep-20
I’ve been shooting them for the past few years, and for the most part, I really like them. Tough as nails, pretty easy to resharpen. The corrosion aspect is a negative, and I’m not overly impressed with the blood trails either. Not sure why that is. They are very sharp when they come out of my quiver. I touch them up regularly. Anybody else have the same impression about the mediocre blood trails, when shooting them?

20-Sep-20
I bought them for a BC moose hunt in a week that was cancelled ( China virus) I used them last week for an elk hunt 125 gr 3 blade vented. Thy performed well and it was still shaving sharp after being carried a couple hundred yards

20-Sep-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I like them. I killed this bull elk last week, shot high but BH continued to cut inside and downed the bull. Impressed how sharp I can get them and they fly well
I like them. I killed this bull elk last week, shot high but BH continued to cut inside and downed the bull. Impressed how sharp I can get them and they fly well
same result last year, BH entered in front of left hip and traveled through to rt front shoulder. Elk was down in 15 seconds.
same result last year, BH entered in front of left hip and traveled through to rt front shoulder. Elk was down in 15 seconds.

20-Sep-20
I now shoot the SS 125g. Shot the 125 g regular (vented), but switched to SS due to rust on long hunts. Easy to sharpen and tough as h$ll. They shoot same as FP for me.

20-Sep-20
I love VPA solids. It seams most of the fan boys have switched to iron will.

20-Sep-20
Still have a pile of Snuffers but have some VPAs as well. Just ordered some 200 and 250 grain 1 1/4” diameter heads. Should cut a decent hole and be stronger than the old Snuffers. Still do really like that 1 1/2” hole that the old school Snuffer makes but VPA is probably the best 3-blade in heavier weights available.

20-Sep-20
I shoot the 175s. Always spin perfectly and fly great. Rust is the weakness. Good price too. 2 blades do not make best blood trail but really penetrate well.

20-Sep-20
I love them - killed quite a few deer with them - shooting the 175 gr. Unvented - tough as nails and easy to sharpen - I just run a sharpie across the shiny part after sharpening and they don’t rust.

Lee

21-Sep-20
jstephens61, no unfortunately he doesn't. I get mine on-line.

21-Sep-20
I have shot them for over ten years. I shoot the 175s. They are easy to sharpen and fly perfect. A lil vaseline and no rust issues. Shawn

21-Sep-20
For rust prevention I “saw” the sharpened edge into paraffin wax...a candle or block of canning wax. Did this for 20 yrs when I shot Zwickey heads and never had a rusting issue.

21-Sep-20
You may not believe me but love fades when sponsorship goes. Historically You guys are very loyal to Sponsors.

21-Sep-20
I'm still in the VPA camp. Currently shooting the three blade unvented 150 grain head. Love the fact I can shoot the arrow/broadhead for practice and then sharpen it and hunt. Gives me a lot of confidence knowing I have a straight, tried & true arrow/broadhead combination.

21-Sep-20
Purchased the 125 2 blade vented version this year. They fly like FP, but not very sharp out of the package. The sharpness was not a huge deal since I knew I would be practicing with them, and they would need to be sharpened.

My biggest concern is they "hiss" a lot when shot. Thinking of trying Iron Will S125 non-vented to test.

21-Sep-20
I have shot Hellrazors the past few years and really like that kind of head. So I bought a 3 pack of VPAs as I thought they would be a better version of the Hellrazors. We shall see. They seem to fly good, but honestly, I think the Hellrazors fly a bit better out of my bows. But out to 40 yards they are right where I need them to be.

21-Sep-20
Factory sharpness isn't an issue on my list. I shoot them into a sand pit to make sure all is well. Edge us gone after that anyway and ready for a new one. Touching up edges during season is a good mid-day activity.

21-Sep-20
Hunt n addict, any vented head like will hiss. The iron will solids will sound better but so would a VPA Solid.

21-Sep-20
I'm still shooting them.

21-Sep-20

beemann's embedded Photo
beemann's embedded Photo

21-Sep-20
I’ve killed a few truck loads of critters with them. I love them. Easy to get shaving sharp and super durable.

21-Sep-20
T-Roy, I have killed a few animals with them and quit because the blood trails were never that good. Could be because they never went very far after being shot but none of them had very big holes either

21-Sep-20
Best traditional bow type Broadhead around in my opinion and I’ve killed animals with all types.

I think if I shot a super fast compound I might use some thing lower profile?

25-Sep-20
I've been waiting for the 150s to come back in stock for a while now. Still shooting them. They have been very reliable for me, and I am yet to lose and animal with on.

I use them out of my compound and recurve, although I do have some Stingers I still shoot with the recurve.

25-Sep-20
First animal I shot with them was a mulie. Spined him. Bent a blade rendering them useless for reuse. After what I paid to get them to Canada I have not re-purchased.

25-Sep-20
Why not just use bowstring wax on the edges to keep from tarnishing? You should have that in your kit anyway

26-Sep-20
mysterious double post a full day later.

01-Oct-20

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Robin Hood uses VPA 150 grain unvented.

01-Oct-20
Beeswax, paraffin or chapstick for rust prevention

01-Oct-20
Or forget the wax and shoot the stainless version. It’s now available in stainless in several sizes and styles in 100 grain through 150 grain (not all are listed on the VPA website though).

02-Oct-20
Think I'll try some of the new stainless soon.

04-Oct-20

Castle Oak's embedded Photo
Castle Oak's embedded Photo
I love the 150 grain solid and shoot the carbon version. I have not had a problem with corrosion as I put a dab of chapstick on the edges. Note, I hunt on the coast of NC where humidity is always high. They are sharp-this was a frontal shot at 22 yards. Bull was dead in 4 seconds.

04-Oct-20
Wow, 3/4 length penetration.

What weight arrow and bow set up?

04-Oct-20
Wow 3/4 length penetration

What bow set up and arrow weight.

04-Oct-20
Vertix, 70 pounds, 28" draw, CE Maxima Red 350 @ 28.25". I think total arrow weight is 438 grains. Don't tell anyone but I used a whisker biscuit cause we all know they are really complicated and hard to tune.

04-Oct-20
After reading all the fanmail here on bowsite a few years back I gave them a try. Set them up for a Dangerous Game rig using their 200gr 2-blade for Cape Buffalo. Would say they were adequate as they killed the bull, but I was less than impressed with the penetration and the steel’s ability to hold an edge. Posted my actual results and was met with stiff resistance - led by some online self-proclaimed broadhead-tester.

Since then I’ve taken, seen taken, and know the true stories behind countless DG hunts for water buffalo, cape buffalo, hippo, and elephant.

The conclusion on VPAs for DG hasn’t changed - they’re adequate but not overly impressive - questions about hardness, sharpness and penetration. Based on actual DG performance the consistently best performer has been Original German Kinetics - expensive, but frighteningly sharp and amazing penetration. Remember an Aussie Buffalo Guide who was a VPA and Zwickau fan stunned by seeing GK passthroughs.

05-Oct-20
I would rank the VPA 125 gr non-vented BH as the greatest BH ever made. There is nothing you could not kill with it. Accurate in flight, silent, tough, and excellent penetration - best I have ever seen on any BH. Sharpness and corrosion are things YOU can control. Not sure if they are still a sponsor on here? Sponsors get all the love and when many pro-staffers or just happy consumers add on with great success posts touting a BH or any product for that matter, it takes on a viral effect. VPA once had that "love" on here but the product speaks for itself. Anybody that is not happy with theirs (many just can't get them sharp) I will take them off your hands. I am also happy to sharpen for you or show you how.

05-Oct-20
Hunt'n addict - yes the 125 vented VPA's are known to hiss. I have them, but rarely use them for that reason. I have killed some pretty old wary bucks with them though and they never heard it coming before they were double-lunged. I would only ever get the non-vented should I ever need more.

05-Oct-20
So, the vented and solid are both 1 1/8” cut. Does that mean that the blade thickness in the solid is less than the vented?

05-Oct-20
"So, the vented and solid are both 1 1/8” cut. Does that mean that the blade thickness in the solid is less than the vented?" I could be wrong but it may be combination of that, and some extra weight in the ferule to make up the difference. Trust me blade thickness is not an issue on the non-vented. And trust me - the 125gr vented do hiss. Surprisingly - when I shot 100 gr, the vented did not hiss that I could detect.

05-Oct-20
I carried them in my quiver this past moose hunt. I never got to use them, but the standard black on did rust. Yes, I never put a coating on it before the hunt. The stainless heads stayed true and never rusted. Once I learned how to sharpen them it was easy. Just use a bastard file then a smooth steel sharpening rod. They keep an edge great even after practicing with them. I still touched them up because it's fun. I might use them for deer this next month or two. I shoot the 150 gr solid.

05-Oct-20
I picked up 9 of the 100 vented and don’t notice them hissing... but the wife swears I’m deaf.

07-Oct-20
I love VPA 175 solids, killed 25 animals with 1 head before I lost it. just use a sharpie on the blades and they wont rust. Forrest

07-Oct-20

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
YEP
paul@thefort's embedded Photo
YEP

07-Oct-20

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Devastating, shoulder shot just through cartilage and in and out. 175 gran VPA super sharp, 400 grain arrow out of 47# recurve. Dead in less than 10 seconds. Big doe by the way. Shawn

07-Oct-20

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Devastating, shoulder shot just through cartilage and in and out. 175 gran VPA super sharp, 400 grain arrow out of 47# recurve. Dead in less than 10 seconds. Big doe by the way. Shawn

07-Oct-20
I have a dozen, 200gr. non vented, double bevel, 2 blades if anyone is interested. All like new! I'll make you a smoking deal!! Half price plus shipping! plus several 200 gr. field points.

• Sitka Gear