Ucsdryder 22-Sep-20
DConcrete 22-Sep-20
Roper 22-Sep-20
BOHNTR 22-Sep-20
Bowsiteguy 22-Sep-20
altitude sick 23-Sep-20
Bowfinatic 23-Sep-20
22-Sep-20
Just watched a YouTube video of the elk killed on the Arizona governors tag. What a circus. It's a small wonder anti have so much crap to throw at actual hunters. Outfitter put the bull to bed the night before the opener, had the way overweight "hunter" on an opposing ridge opening morning. He took his time, then at 900+ yards made the shot. The kicker is that the outfitter came to another hunters camp the night before and told him of their plans, and ask that he not screw it up. There must have been 8 or 10 guys standing around when "JJ" took the shot. I know the money he paid goes a long way to help the Arizona wild life professionals, and I don't begrudge "JJ" his success in having that much capital to spread around, but come on............he's a hunter?????

22-Sep-20
Quote: "... I don't begrudge "JJ" his success..."

Are you sure....??

22-Sep-20
i hope he enjoyed every second of that hunt because his dollars will go alot further than his bullet.

22-Sep-20
Old news....

22-Sep-20
8 Point - he askes to speak during he video at the kill site and specifically says he is not a hunter but he's a guy who has made a lot of "dough" (founder of Jimmy John's Subs) and he has the opportunity to do this type of thing with people who live it and are great hunters. As much as the process is dispicable and circus-like, you have to give him credit for 100% honesty and total self-awareness. He knows what what he is doing is and is not and is public about it. So many people lie to themselves and others and this guy is totally honest.

The process and outfitters are a whole different topic but the guy not only does not claim to be a hunter, but intentionally states for the record he is not one.

22-Sep-20
I watched the video and followed the prior post.

I think JJ was clear in saying that he is not a hunter, he just hangs out with hunters, thanking everyone for all their hard work, and giving credit where credit is due when people congratulate him.

I feel some real remorse for Trent "Rogue Outdoorsman" who posted the video. The video is presented in a way that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place, having scouted the Bull and the heard of 7 bulls for a full year. It would have been nice if JJ had waited for him to get a chance on the bull, but I don't think anyone would anticipate that.

While certainly not a bow hunt, I know I could not have made a 960 Yard shot regardless of what type of gun I had in my hands.

I think the AZ Governors Tag is great for providing financial support to AZ Game and Fish, plus the additional money JJ spent in hiring the guides, etc.

Many will watch this video and comment on it not being hunting, not being fair, etc. all of which is certainly debatable, but for the guides that put in the work, and JJ, I am sure they were all extremely excited to hold those antlers and see that Bull on the ground.

I also appreciated how JJ said that anyone could take as many pictures as they wanted. I suspect a number of big $$$ hunting clients don't want any pictures taken of "their" animal.

At the end of the day with enough $$$$ the whole world is a high fence hunt. The fence may not be made of posts and wire, but rather a network of trackers and laborers on the ground monitoring the exact location of the animal to be "pursued". Better that money go to support AZ hunting and fishing then to support those organizations that would oppose hunting and fishing.

Maybe one day I can buy the Governors forgotten-nephew-thrice-removed tag, for $5,000.00 and shoot a rag horn bull by myself. Give it a few years and that may be the out of state, OTC tag price in Colorado.

22-Sep-20
Shoulda been here a month ago! It was the “HOT TOPIC” on Bowsite! : )

Just curious................how overweight do you have to be to be considered NOT a hunter?! ;-)

22-Sep-20
with so many folks helping the hunter out they should just join arms in a circle around the bull and close in for a close shot.

22-Sep-20
And you somehow think the anti hunters differentiate between a guy who bivys in 10 miles and the guy that does this? That’s laughable in itself. Guess what pal???? They hate you just as bad!!

I love the whole, fuel for the antis argument. They get fuel off all hunters. Plain and simple. He’ll, I’ve heard people believe that because they hunt with a bow that the antis respect that more. It’s actually quite the opposite!!

22-Sep-20
" I don't begrudge "JJ" his success in having that much capital to spread around, but come on..........."

LOL

22-Sep-20
What anti sites really like is to come on hunting sites and take actual quotes from “real” hunters bashing others.

Where do you think they get all those stats about hunters not supporting certain methods or the hunting of certain species.

Go to the first thread about this tag and see how many times hunters condemned the use of governor’s tags. So if hunters don’t like it and nobody else likes it, then why keep it and risk losing votes.

No tags = less money for wildlife.

Less wildlife. = less opportunity.

Less opportunity = less hunters

Less hunters = less clout

Less clout = death of hunting.

22-Sep-20
Just stopped in to see how much more pie I can eat before I stop being a hunter.

22-Sep-20
I can truly say if I had that kind and had that tag, I'd spend as many days in the field as I could making my success my own. Since 2005, I guestamate I've spent almost 7K in Colorado for licenses, over 13K over all, and besides the joy of the mountains, I was blessed with one cow elk. Not that it matches what this guy laid out, but hard earned none the less. I spent the entire 2007 bow season in the mountains and loved every minute. Doesn't it bother anyone that this was as close to a canned hunt as you can get. In the video there was a fella who had put in his time lining this animal up and only to have it sold out from under him for the most part. Not against guides either, but not when they have a bull figuratively tied to a tree.

22-Sep-20
If you had that tag and that kind of money, you’d be spending your time working and continuing to build your empire. Yeah he sold Jimmy Johns, but I can promise he’s got his hands in a lot of other things. I love hearing people say what they’d do if they had the money. They just forget one minor detail: what it takes to get that money.

22-Sep-20
Concrete, sorry but you’re delusional at best. Go ask anybody off the street... “are you ok with a hunter going out and hunting for meat to feed his family? Are you also ok with a “trophy hunter”? As soon as the general public hears trophy hunter they instantly get a bad taste in their mouth.

Furthermore, you show the general public that video, then show them a Randy Newberg video. You seriously think the response is the same? Come on....

Maybe the most extreme anti-hunter would consider them the same but that’s not who we have to worry about. We need to worry about the middle of the road, non hunter that has a vote. That’s the person that can vote for or against us.

22-Sep-20
I heard he shot it over a food plot that had been sprayed with a 1.5% solution of gly;-)

It is not just liberal versus conservative any more, we just like to attack and complain about everyone and every thing.

Think I am headed to Burger King right now, no offense to JJ, just like BK better. And I did my morning walk and exercises, filled a MO anterless tag Saturday so I guess I am still safe to be called a hunter.

22-Sep-20
And who do you think has given them the perception of trophy hunters? That hasn’t come from within our ranks. It’s come From the anti hunters. You don’t think the meat hunters are next?

Anti hunters are the ones with the platform that get the general public against anything from baiting, to trapping, to trophy hunting, to anything in between. So to actually believe that being a “pure” hunter, a DYI hunter, will somehow save your hide, it won’t mean a hill of beans.

You want to help? Educate people on what trophy hunting actually does and what it’s about. Educate them on the total BULLSHIT that is spread about Africa. Lions and elephants, think Cecil the lion.

The hyperbole and the misconstrued facts and the lies get fed to the general public via the anti hunters. And you somehow think the actions of this elk hunt damages what you do? Guess what?? Bow hunting is frowned upon THE MOST. The most pure way to do it, that’s right, is frowned upon the most and is the largest target of the anti hunters. Their campaign against us flows down to the general public. And hardly anyone educates the general public about what we actually do!!

I am NOT a trophy hunter. I am a meat hunter. And I know they’re after me too. And they’re using the middle of the road people against us. Feeding them the same old bullshit that a lot of hunters spew about what Jimmy John just did.

You’re the delusional one John belching.

Jimmy John is one of very few wealthy people in our corner. We have plenty of wealthy people that use their money against us. Not for us. Let’s not cannibalize the one who helps fund many many endeavors for wildlife.

Is that hunt how I’d do it? Nope.

But the way I do it isn’t how a many of you folks would either. But I won’t bash your way.

22-Sep-20
I am pretty wealthy but I am still hustling in order to ultimately regain control of my birthright in the United Kingdom - the Forest of Dean. That said, I am too happy hunting deer, turkey, and antelope (still no success) to pooh-pooh what someone else is doing with their money.

22-Sep-20
Just because he’s a hunter doesn’t put him in my corner. I want nothing to do with his style of “hunting” and I guess we’ll agree to disagree. Like I said, the extreme anti’s might not differentiate between someone like Randy Newberg and JJ, but anybody with half a brain can see how different they are. I’m as diehard as any hunter out there and JJ video made me feel bad for the elk. Imagine what Joe Public thinks while watching that video. I’m sorry you can’t see the difference.

22-Sep-20
I enjoyed the video and certainly gained some respect for JJ after what he said in the video. Congrats to him and all of those that helped him along the way.

22-Sep-20
With a net worth of 1.7billion ( a millionaire 1,700 times over) I just hope he enters it in B&C so they get the entry fee to help do good for wildlife

22-Sep-20
If you really believe that true anti hunters have different levels of tolerance for hunters based on their style and method of take, then YOU, Uscdryder, are the delusional one.

If you’re talking Non-hunters.....that’s a different story......but anti hunters hate ALL hunters, rodeo participants, dog/horse breeders, etc.

As for JJ, not my style of hunting, but I’m glad he spends his money on our passion Doing what he loves than funneling money to abolish our way of life.

Envy and jealously is a terrible thing.

22-Sep-20
So I guess some of you are happy that hunting is now becoming a wealthy mans game? Pretty soon average joes like us will stop playing the draws as only people like JJ won’t mind blowing 100’s and soon thousands a year for nothing. By the way, has Randy Ulmer gotten his Governor tag yet this year?

22-Sep-20
With a net worth of 1.7billion ( a millionaire 1,700 times over) I just hope he enters it in B&C so they get the entry fee to help do good for wildlife

22-Sep-20
Bohntr I think I made it pretty clear I was referring to the “average joe public” and “someone off the street”. I even said that in my post. Furthermore, I differentiated them as “the extreme antihunter” Maybe slow down and read it again?

The jealousy thing? I wouldn’t trade lives with him if you added 2 more zeros to the back of his net worth. As far as the style of hunting, nope, not even if it was free. You can have that hunt, sounds like youd love it!

22-Sep-20
Don’t confused wouldn’t and couldn’t. While everyone is bashing this man, I respect the hell out of him for his business empire and the economic impact he’s had. Clearly, he isn’t as lazy as a lot people portray, in fact, I’d wager the haters couldn’t pour his piss out of a boot and never have had the guts to do what he’s done. My hats off to the man.

22-Sep-20
I’d rather see JJ hunt any way he wants and love the outdoors rather than him being another liberal billionaire who hates all conservatives and hunters. JJ’s got a billion dollars in his pocket and a 470 bull on the wall. Doesn’t get much better than that.

22-Sep-20
+1 roper.

22-Sep-20
Elk hunting is a form. Most sports are forms. Rules and laws determine the form. The basketball form has a basket at a specific level from the floor ... five players ... and so forth. Real hunting and trophy hunting (the cluster shown in that horrible video) are TWO DIFFERENT FORMS. Trophy hunting is actually the hunting form having been bastardized. If you follow the same form as that video ... you are not hunting. I am not interested in the JJ form and it has nothing to do with jealousy (That’s a donkey argument by the way). I take pride in MY OWN ability and effort in taking part in the form of elk hunting. I am jealous ... jealous of the real pros on this forum.

23-Sep-20
I agree that liberals will eventually come for us all. The pure “Good” meat hunters and the evil rifle trophy hunters. The Crocodile will just eat us “pure” hunters last is all.

Watch the Grizzly, elk video above and tell me that isn’t hard to watch also. It was a DIY free hunt. The bear did have an assist though.

23-Sep-20
"I don't begrudge him his success".. Reminds me of saying "with all due respect" then ripping someone Governors tags have their place and serve their purpose

• Sitka Gear