Habitat 16-Oct-20
Grunt-N-Gobble 16-Oct-20
t-roy 17-Oct-20
deserthunter 17-Oct-20
paul@thefort 17-Oct-20
BULELK1 19-Oct-20
22-Sep-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Need I say anymore. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! End of the full circle almost. Read Part 3 how this hunt actually happened
Need I say anymore. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! End of the full circle almost. Read Part 3 how this hunt actually happened

22-Sep-20

Back straps, tenderloins, steaks, burger, stew meat, roasts, stir fry meat, all wild, chemical free, organic
Back straps, tenderloins, steaks, burger, stew meat, roasts, stir fry meat, all wild, chemical free, organic

22-Sep-20
You are my idol Paul!

22-Sep-20
You da man Paul!....now I'm hungry...

22-Sep-20
Paul not sure about the Bugger lol ?? great job you done good Lewis

22-Sep-20
Part 5 is gonna be the best part ! Make mine medium rare...........

22-Sep-20
Elk Bugger...............................................where does that come from Paul? ;-)

But SERIOUSLY.....................................................I always think about how much that wild game would cost at a fancy restaurant in the city. Then thank the Lord that I live in the country where I can get as much as I can eat! : )

22-Sep-20
I'll bring the wine to pair with part 5 Paul!

22-Sep-20
+3 to Part 5. I will need Paul’s address, date and time. I will even bring my own fork if required.

22-Sep-20
Exactly drycreek. :)

22-Sep-20
Rut Nut, Elk Bugger?, where does that come from? The nose area ?????????

Thanks, I made the correction. Paul

22-Sep-20
Now at my desk drooling.

22-Sep-20
Congrats Paul- Another great story!

22-Sep-20
Yummy!

22-Sep-20
What do you cut your ground with? Straight elk?

22-Sep-20
IN the past I have used 10% pork roast cut up meat to "cut" the elk meat as burger and the results was fair,ie, too much. This time around, I used 2% beef fat. The outcome was very good. I used the grinder to grind the beef fat and then reground the fat and elk meat together, again for a good mix. All I was looking for was a little sizzle in the burger, and that was achieved..

23-Sep-20
Paul, Congrats on your success!!!

23-Sep-20
Looking good Paul.

I've often used 10% beef suet by weight and still don't have the amount of grease that 90/10 beef puts out. I've quit weighing it and just eyeball it now. I'm probably closer to 5% now. I know that bothers some folks but it makes my family happy. My family would rather have elk burgers than beef any day of the week.

23-Sep-20
Looks delicious! I know some will frown on this, but I have found about 1/4 by weight (eyeballed) of the fattest hamburger I can buy mixed with it is darn good.

23-Sep-20
I like to add beef suet also.

23-Sep-20
Great stuff

23-Sep-20
Congrats Paul, great stuff!!

24-Sep-20
Congrats Paul! I've been reading through all of the other threads and enjoyed every minute of it. Great story telling and pictures. I knew when these threads started that an elk was headed for the freezer. Thanks for sharing all the details with the ups and downs.

24-Sep-20
Whenever I grind up deer I trim the fat off the deer and mix in with burger. I’m a 100% natural kind of guy. Good stuff Paul!

24-Sep-20
You said organic, chemical free, but then added fat to it. I think that fat probably makes it taste slightly better, but it defeats the purpose of natural, lean, organic meat. I have added an egg and some bread crumbs on occasion, but I form the patty then rub all over with a generous amount of EVOO and cook them rare/medium rare and they turn out dang good!

24-Sep-20
mine turn out dang good also and a little chemical treatment just adds to the mix.

24-Sep-20
UCS id bet most these elk have eaten something with pesticide on it too, so how organic are they really? ;-)

24-Sep-20
I had a an elk lick a trail cam this year. So you might be right! =D

26-Sep-20
Every season I look forward to Paul's hunt stories, This one did not disappoint, Congrats Paul on a great hunt and story. One word comes to mind...PERSEVERANCE!!!!

27-Sep-20
Just got back, so impressed with you, Paul !

Enjoy that fine table fare, you earned every bite of it !

Best Wishes, Jeff

28-Sep-20
Well done as always Paul. I like a bit of beef fat as opposed to pork in my venison burgers as well.

28-Sep-20
I've always added beef fat as well. Please tell me you don't do all your butchering with that buck knife though.

28-Sep-20
No I also use a very sharp flexible 10 in filet knife

16-Oct-20
if you missed it, my Colorado elk hunt.

16-Oct-20
That looks great! Perfect!

I like to use a bit of pork fat rather than beef. Easier to get here (pork bellies at Costco) and who doesn't like bacon? =D

We like to just do that with the burger grind. Half we normally grind straight with no fat. Use that for tacos, meat loaf etc. where it's cooked with other ingredients and not stand alone like burger patties.

16-Oct-20
We add pork butt as it seems if we add beef fat you get a fatty residue

16-Oct-20
Finally had a chance to read your threads Paul. Great story telling and congratulations on your bull!

17-Oct-20
What I want to know is.......does Chase get to sample some of this while you’re processing all this??!!

17-Oct-20
Paul always inspires us middle aged guys.

17-Oct-20
Hey Troy, you bet he does. As you know there are a lot of scrap meat left over so I just /boil/simmer it until done, bag it up and give him a couple to meat treats with his meals. I have been trying to get him to chew every bite at least 8 times but have had no luck :). He just Gulps them down. Heading out to Nebraska on Monday for a WT hunt and maybe another story or some more meat treats for Chase. My best, Paul

19-Oct-20
Well done Paul

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear