crestedbutte 30-Sep-20
elk yinzer 30-Sep-20
GF 30-Sep-20
samman 02-Oct-20
22-Sep-20

stealthycat's Link
That's a good bull that grizzly killed

22-Sep-20
I'm not a grizzly expert - in ya'lls opinion what's the size of that bear? 500# ? bigger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzo2Ie7B7CI

22-Sep-20
Amazing footage! Thanks for sharing. That there might be 500 pounds, but likely a bit less. Seems to me that that Elk may have had underlying issues? Seemed to give up rather easily. When he came off the hill he wasn’t looking like he had it all together.

22-Sep-20
elk had a broken leg.

22-Sep-20
“Texas, I’m talking to YOU.”

LOL on that one!

Can’t imagine that a bear would have anywhere near the endurance to run down a healthy Elk outside of the initial sprint in an ambush; had to be a lot of preamble to what we saw in the clip.

Kinda looked like the left foreleg was flopping while the bear was rolling it over and over, but hard to know when that happened.

Whatever it was, the bull was too weak to bound across the water even in the shallows, and seems unlikely he’d seek refuge in the water unless he was plumb out of alternatives...

22-Sep-20
Pistol or spray?

22-Sep-20
Grizz-1, Elk-0

22-Sep-20
I'm curious. Was that an '''ethical" kill? It seemed to me like that elk suffered quite a bit before he died.

22-Sep-20
Was not ethical kill . Clearly grizz has not sharpen his claws and teath since his last kill.

I always imagined a grizz just round-house smackem aside da head and that be it . Lunch time.

22-Sep-20
Left rear leg was broken. Bear probably swatted/broke the bull’s back leg back up the hill and broke it. Ran him down and finished the job....

22-Sep-20
PS - bear is probably closer to 400 #. Big enough!

22-Sep-20
I read on fb that the elk was fighting another bull and got gored.

22-Sep-20
A well earned meal, Mother Nature at its finest.

22-Sep-20
did the elk that gored it have to tag it, or the bear, or neither?

22-Sep-20
Intersting in the coments that there are people sad for the elk. It seems to me that people are are very far removed from reality. Tree huggers and a lot of non hunters alike. My in laws are perfect examples if you tell them that the cow was probably standing in a pasture a week ago they have a hard time eating their burgers. People just don't know how the real world works.

22-Sep-20
You guys realize, don’t you, that the dose of reality here for non-hunters and antis actually kind of helps reframe the conversation around “cruelty” and bringing back predators....

Won’t change many Antis’ minds, but it does put the Antis’ wailing and gnashing of teeth into perspective for the open-minded.

22-Sep-20
311”

23-Sep-20
Amazing footage

23-Sep-20
Surprised a pack of wolves didn't swoop in and swipe it from him! probably later...

23-Sep-20
Grizz was eating on kill for days. I was by there on the 19th and bear was huge. "Texas" was still there with the 6 or so rangers keeping him on the move through the area in cars. Many spectators on foot by that time. Rangers expected other bears to show up at any time.

24-Sep-20
A friend of mine who works at the park said the bear was still snacking on what's left yesterday (9/23.) The bear has pulled the carcass up on the beach.

Pete

24-Sep-20
That grizz identifies as a killer whale. Look up the videos of those things drowning other whales. Savage.

25-Sep-20
It does look like a badly broken leg - lots of other elk bugling in the background. Rut, seems more likely a fight injury then a griz swiping his rear leg and breaking it? I think it drowned what do you think? Seemed quick but I do not see anything the griz did to kill it other then drowning?

26-Sep-20

spike78's Link
GF, you don’t think a Grizzly has the endurance to run down an animal? Watch this video simply amazing endurance like a triathlon!

26-Sep-20
Triathlete as in run, swim abs eat. Impressive carnivores.

26-Sep-20
Yup and still has enough endurance to drag the caribou and fend off another bear.

26-Sep-20
Yeah, the above video is pretty insane!

Bears don’t really have a “method” of killing big animals, like wolves or cats. They just kinda maul and exhaust them into submission then start tearing chunks off Rhe video of the average sized grizzly killing the bison in Yellowstone is a great example. Again they ended up in the water and drowning was the actual cause of death. Not that the bear is making a conscious decision to drown it, but the prey seems think the water will give them a better chance. Moose will often stand in water when wolves attack. The difference in leg length and maneuverability is the reason, likely.

26-Sep-20
I saw a vid of the same bear that took over a kill from a pack of wolves.... don't remember what the kill animal was.... anyway, said it was the same bear that ran down the elk. That's an alpha predator.

26-Sep-20
....wolves just standing around, heads hanging, like... crap, all that for nothing.

26-Sep-20
If you look at the elk just before the grizzly catches it you will notice it's limping.

Grizzly probably weighs about 400#.

28-Sep-20

samman's embedded Photo
samman's embedded Photo
I was there last week. We heard of an area a grizzly was hanging out. Never saw the griz actually there, but this is all that was left of the elk on the 25th.

28-Sep-20
Some of the photographers around the area called the griz "the cannibal". On the 24th there was reported a female feeding on the elk that morning with the "killer" having fed the night before.

28-Sep-20
Isn’t a cannibal something that eats its own kind? Photographers sound like a bunch of libtards.

30-Sep-20
DonV....I don’t think that elk was killed by drowning. That bear was on his back biting and locked on near the elks spine for the majority of time they were both in the water. As quickly as that elk died it has me thinking that bear might of perfected a biting technique that severed that elks spine?

30-Sep-20
That was impressive that bear knew what he needed to do and the bull knew he was doomed. Bull had one chance to save his life and he was a nanosecond too slow in his counterattack. Once he was coralled into deeper water it was lights out.

30-Sep-20
What I wanna know now is what that Grizz smelled that it came running in from such a distance. Clearly not a healthy ‘bou to begin with, but either way. Whatever Rudolf smelled like was not good for his health....

I liked what Kevin Dill and Ike have had to say about your attitude in Bear Country... I also like KD’s rifle.

02-Oct-20

samman's Link
In this article, more on the elk & griz saga. You can see why they called him the cannibal. "Some thought the bear could have been a 9-year-old male that was also seen eating a 2- to 3-year-old grizzly last October, the Billings Gazette reported."

• Sitka Gear