spike78 26-Sep-20
Thornton 26-Sep-20
hobbes 28-Sep-20
hobbes 28-Sep-20
No Mercy 28-Sep-20
22-Sep-20

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Got this email earlier today. Not any different than any other generic sporting goods store. It used to be a destination. Now it is Walmart.

22-Sep-20
They may be a step above Walmart, but it’s not far.

22-Sep-20
I have sent in several emails to Cabela's about one of there instinct tests I purchased that the poles have bent and need to be replaced. Asking to get / purchase replacement poles or where I can buy them and have never got a response in 3 months. Terrible service.

22-Sep-20
Can’t believe Cabelas turned into what it has, place used to be great.

22-Sep-20
Cabelas is a joke I have $89 Cabelas dollars from my Cabelas card purchases and every time I go online to buy something with it they don’t have what I want or not in stock or I can get it on EBay cheaper. Never thought I’d have issues using free money!

22-Sep-20
It SUCKS!

22-Sep-20
Agreed spike78. Can almost always find something on ebay/camofire/classifieds cheaper. I've had their CC for 10+ years now and can barely find something to buy there. Even after the points, could still probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

22-Sep-20
Cabela's prices are way too high. So are Bass Pro Shops prices. Usually around 25% too high.

22-Sep-20
LOL, every time I go in my wife comes out with some clothing, she ask me why I didn't get anything and I told her there wasn't anything I need or I can get a better price/quaility at the local sports shop.

22-Sep-20
I think they will declare for bankruptcy within 10 years and probably much sooner. They have certainly lost their way (going public, BPS takeover) and forgot who made the company. Used to have the Cabela's "Black" card and now haven't purchased anything there in a couple years.

22-Sep-20
I am not blindly taking pot shots at Cabelas. I received catalogs since the early 80's. I am a CC holder since 1994 (I used to have a Black card, with a credit line of ~ $30K, which I no longer use) I lived ~ 15 miles from the Owatonna , MN store when it opened. I would wager that I knew the store as well as some employees!

The last time I was in a store was ~ 4 years ago. I could no longer stomach visiting any store. (East Grand Forks ND or Roger, MN) I remember the great customer service and stock of great equipment. Today, I no longer recognize it.

We have a Scheels locally and they are my go to destination. Superb customer service. (Something Cabelas used to have)

22-Sep-20
Back in the day you got there catalog and it was something to be able to order that much different stuff than you could not find locally. Once internet commerce took off and you can now find anything and everything online, cabelas was no longer special. I would image back then the stores where more marketing that help drive business for their catalog sales than a major profit center. Not sure that Cabelas or Bass Pro necessarily did anything to destroy their business it just they lost their niche to the internet. Sadly I also would not be surprised if they are not around in ten years.

22-Sep-20
Cabela's is a major disappointment nowadays, a shell of what it once was. Customer service and warranty services are poor. Some 'consumers' are also part of the blame. Buy everything needed for a hunting trip or camping outing and then return it at the end of a season, buy new again next year.

22-Sep-20
I have been a Cabelas customer since you had to fill out a paper order form and mail it into Sydney Nebraska. Since BPS bought them, they have done nothing but go down hill in my eyes. They used to be my main outdoor supplier, but have a hard time finding what I want from them anymore. They have forced me to shop the internet and elsewhere more and more. SAD.

22-Sep-20
its not cabelas anymore its freakin bass pro shop. china made crap,other places to go

22-Sep-20
When I use to hang out on archerytalk there was a loser that went by zap if I remember correctly and he bragged about how each year he would buy his kids all top of the line stuff from cabelas then take it back at the end of the season. Guys like that is why their warranty services went down hill.

22-Sep-20
I also did mail in orders to Cabelas in the 80s. We also drove 2.5 hours to shop in Sydney.

Things change. Scheels is doing a good job given todays marketplace.

22-Sep-20
As soon as bass pro took over you knew it was going to crash. Give it time, another will step in with quality gear.

22-Sep-20
Used to be that every time I was driving out west on I-80, stopping at Cabellas in Sydney was a given. Stopped there a month ago and was very disappointed. Drove by again last week and didn’t even bother stopping.

22-Sep-20
Agree with LB, I think it was bought simply to remove competition. That was a success.....

22-Sep-20
Yes since bass pro took over it definitely is headed in the wrong direction. I had real good luck with the cabelas brand clothing but now it's all red head gear I wont touch the stuff. I went last year to the store in owattona my kids 2 and 4 at the time do like all the mounts and big fish tank

22-Sep-20
Scheels blows them away. Cabelas is a joke these days. I NEVER go.

22-Sep-20
I had a client give me a gift card as a thank you and I can't even find anything to buy with it.

22-Sep-20
Yep, they've dropped like a rock. Been buying from them since the 70s, but I rarely do any more. They used to send everything in one big box, now I get a seven-item order in five boxes over a two-week period. The last straw was when they abandoned the Bargain Cave in the SLC store. My last visit there was sad: more salespeople than customers. (That said, the salespeople were very nice. It was sad to see them there looking for something to do.)

22-Sep-20
It hasn't been Cabela's since BassPro bought them out, It is now BassPro Cabela's, and I never thought BP was a very good hunting store anyways-not much on choices, fishing maybe. Scheels & Sportsman's Warehouse get all my business now.

22-Sep-20
At least they’re not Dicks!

Rocky D......I disagree. We have a Bass Pro and a Scheels within an hour of where I live. Both have been there for 10 years+. I’ve probably been in the BPS a total of 5 times, whereas I frequent the Scheels store a bunch. Scheels is very comparable to the way the old Cabela’s stores were, and in some ways, even better. Also gotta love the fact that they’re proud to display bronze sculptures of “The Gipper”, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington in the front of their store.

22-Sep-20
I live between a bass pro shops and a cabelas. They're a 5 and 10 minute drives away. 5 to 10 years ago I thought BPS is better for fishing gear, cabelas for hunting gear. Now they're both about the same, not bad, not good. Sad. I still go every once in awhile, with a good attitude and good intentions, but I walk out empty handed almost every time. There's nothing that I find to be useful or qualitative enough for me to spend money.

22-Sep-20
Like others have said. I had a black card for several years, now I haven't used the card in a couple years. It is mainly a yuppy clothing store now and I don't bother to stop when I drive by. If I need anything I go to Scheel's.

22-Sep-20
I guess it's all perspective.

Not as good across the board as in the past but still some great deals if you work it

I don't blame people for moving on. But I think tjevmoving on will be a lifetime adventure. Move to scheels and sportsmans warehouse and in a few years the next greatest deal

Life is a challenge. Hope all have a great season

22-Sep-20
Scheels my go to now.

23-Sep-20
One of Nearly infinite options with online being the way to shop these days d

23-Sep-20
Scheels has my business now. Great customer service!

23-Sep-20
We're supposed to get a Scheels in Missoula next year, would probably be here now if not for COVID. Only options in town are Sportsmans Warehouse, Bob Wards or Cabelas. My order of shopping is usually Bob Wards, Sportsmans, then the internet. Only think about Cabelas if desperate! Their prices are way too high.

23-Sep-20
I use to love Benjamin Franklin stores now there are no small retailers that are affordable , Walmart is a pitiful joke on all of us.

23-Sep-20
I don't comment much on these threads, but as a 20+ year Scheels employee, I thank those of you for your kind words.

23-Sep-20
Cabelas, to me, turned into BPS with a different logo. The hunting gear lost quality, the fishing department for trad gear is solid, the fly fishing department went downhill with the merge, and the general clothing is basically all the same Columbia, North Face, UA stuff you get at any box store for similar price. I still buy stuff occasionally, but it's mostly for the kids - winter boots, a jacket, a toy, stuff like that. I use by card points for that... Though I did get a meat grinder recently with a bunch of card points too.

They were "special" for quality gear at a decent price... The special is gone other than the big fish tank and cool mounts.

23-Sep-20
I saw an interesting episode of Tucker Carlson about a guy named Paul Singer who is into hedge funds and basically orchestrated the Cabela's and Bass Pro merger and then sold all his stock leaving Cabela's what it is today. Google "Tucker Carlson story on Cabela's Sidney, Nebraska". You may find it interesting.

23-Sep-20
Old Reb- I have seen that story. The word that comes to mind is vultures.

23-Sep-20
People who use tactics like Paul Singer give capitalism a big black eye.

23-Sep-20
Really enjoyed getting Cabela’s catalogs especially around Christmas all kinds of quality stuff then. The store’s are pretty much useless imo. Hope we get a Sheels down here soon as I have visited several stores and they have some great taxidermy displays and great customer service.

23-Sep-20
Great point Z - I got rid of their cc 10+ years ago. The bargain cave was decent but they got rid of that. Like someone else mentioned, having trouble spending points from my wifes card.

23-Sep-20
when i get their catalogs and flyers i dont even look,most of the time they come on trash day,so out they go.big change when they were Cabelas

23-Sep-20
I don't think they are anything like they were before as others have said. I used to love looking through that catalog as a kid. I had the Black Card and no longer have it only because I couldn't remove my ex-wifes name from it without canceling it and getting another. I decided not to get another and use an existing card I have that puts points towards my kids college savings. I did love the fraud protection on that card, they would notify me if there were any problems and were great to deal with. Not sure if its still like that.

That said, for those of you that have trouble spending points on the card, I don't understand that. To me there is still plenty of things to spend points on such as ammo, sausage seasonings, fishing equipment, broadheads, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Plenty there to use any points on in my opinion, even if the pricing is higher than you think it should be.

23-Sep-20
Wow!! So I'm not the only one very disappointed ! They did used to be great really. But my experience has been the same since the buy out... Bad service, withdrawn warrenty, don't carry the good stuff or don't have what they say they do in stock. Cc black and $940 in points and it's still hard to find something to spend it on!!! If I can find a gun in stock that's worth it I'll dump the points and be done with them I think.

23-Sep-20
They’re worthless to me. It’s easier to just go right through the manufacturer’s that I like.

23-Sep-20
I have tried for several years to use the accumulated $600 in gift cards, but still have them. Sad to lose such an icon, but everything rises and falls in its time.

23-Sep-20
It's just another reason to frequent your local bow shop. Please buy your archery products there over anything. Having a great bow technician and a good owner that looks out for archers is extremely important. Thank you

23-Sep-20
Cables used to be a clear step above Bass Pro. Combined they took a step down together.

Hard to find anything to buy in the store... it's more like a museum

23-Sep-20
Yup Scheels or Sportsman’s Warehouse every time!

23-Sep-20
I still go to Cabela's for fishing tackle. Seems they usually have what I am looking for and occasionally there is a good sale on lures I use.

23-Sep-20
Cabelas and Bass Pros gun rooms or gun library come up with some really hard to find and unique stuff pretty often.

Fishing sales are good at bass pro

They both have changed but still have some value if you shop smart and deal with them

23-Sep-20
Still use a Cabelas black card but really wish they had not sold out to pro bass fishing. I did get some great phone calles from Cabelas asking us if we had made this purchases. Don't think BPS will do that. Personally think its kinda sad but I guess thats the way it is.

23-Sep-20
Cancelled my card awhile ago

23-Sep-20
Remember Sears, Montgomery Ward, Woolworth, S.H. Kress, Morgan & Lindsey ? That was yesterday.

As a kid growing up did you dream of purchasing on the internet? Shopping at Amazon or Ebay? No they did not exist.

Life changes and so do business, if they want to survive. Look how businesses have changed doing business in just the last 6 months to survive they way do business in a Covid environment.

Bass Pro and Cabela are not what they use to be. Finding new hunting & fishing outlets are essential if you want to find hunting and fishing products.

I truly believe Johnny Morris will be in business for a while, unless someone buys him out.. Which direction his children carry might on his business should they inherit is an unknown. The Cabela kids were not interesting in carrying on their parents dream and passion.

23-Sep-20
Thank you Johnny Morris.

24-Sep-20
What I really miss: Seeing Dick Idol dressed up and modeling to be a bowhunter.

24-Sep-20
Kevin. That is funny! I always thought the same. Dick looked as comfortable being a “Bowhunter” as Mitt Romney would look at a BLM rally.

24-Sep-20
While listing businesses gone by, don't forget Abercrombie and Fitch NYC. The original store was simply amazing and well worth checking out the story and the available pictures. Those were classy days and it was a classy outfit.

24-Sep-20
Back during the "Stay-at-home order" I purchased some low brass 20ga shells and a pair of hearing protection earmuffs for my son online through Cabelas. I could not find these items anywhere here in NE Indiana but saw that they were in stock at the Indianapolis store. So when checking out online, I clicked "pick up in store" because we were going through Indy that Saturday.

We arrive Sat AM at the Indy Cabelas and they would not give me the items that I had paid for. They said that they were still "in transit." from Nebraska??? Mind you BOTH items were sitting on the shelves in the store I was standing in! I said why not give me what is in the store and restock your in store inventory when the other items arrive from Nebraska? They absolutely refused and said that was not possible?!?!

In the end, I had to purchase the items a second time in store in order to leave with them and then had to make multiple phone calls to get the online order cancelled and refunded. Puke. Not again! Too many other options for purchasing my outdoor needs. They lost a 30yr customer that day...

24-Sep-20
Yeah it’s awful! If you have a minute look up Cabela’s vulture capitalism, very interesting

24-Sep-20
After 40 years I have pretty much abandoned Cabelas. MidwayUSA and Amazon are both much better, IMO. It is unfortunate, but I want quality and dependability. Cabelas has tumbled on both accounts.

24-Sep-20
thats what happens when you get bought out by the competition!!!!!!!

24-Sep-20
I'm heading down there now. I will report back.

24-Sep-20
Just got back. Found what I went for, but paid a 30% premium over other places. Couldn't find what I needed anywhere else local and did not want to wait for shipping from online. It was worth the extra $4.00 to get it today. Raining hard, but there were quite a few people in the store. Asked three questions in three different departments and got either no answer or very uninformed answers... about what I expected.

Don't let anybody tell you different, they are Dicks.

24-Sep-20
Patience now that is a crazy story. Had you just walked over and grabbed the items off the shelf could they possibly have refused your purchase?

24-Sep-20
Shop there is I have to or a gift card or a big sale on a specific item. Their archery selection sucks in my opinion and their "pro-shop" is sophomoric at best. It's gimmicky and I'd rather patronize sportsman warehouse and the local pro-shop.

24-Sep-20
I live 10mi from a Cabela's. Half of the main sales floor used to be camo clothing. Now, they have eliminated nearly all of it. 100% of what is left in their camo department now fits in what used to be the bargain cave. The main sales floor is men's and women's clothing and shoes. I expect to see them selling golf clubs, baseball bats and hockey gear soon.

24-Sep-20
FWIW.....I just got back from a Cabelas near Grand Rapids. One thing that I thought was a crock was the gun counter. To get any help or ask questions, you had to sign up on a wait list and I was told the wait would be an hour. Once you name comes up you got to go in a cordoned off line that keeps other customers from approaching the counter. The sign-up gal said it was a BPS virus policy. Needless to say I wasn't going to sign up on a list just to wait an hour to check out a new rifle.

24-Sep-20
I went in a couple of years ago to get a Walther pistol they had on sale. Got there the day the sale started , took a number and 45 minutes later finally got to the counter. Told them what I wanted and they said it wasn't available. I asked how many were in stock when they put out the flyer showing it on sale. I was told none. When I asked if I could have a rain check they said no rain checks on sale Items. Then I said can you have one shipped in from another store and I was told no. Great customer service. That was the last time I bothered to go to the store for sale items.

24-Sep-20
Funny thing about retail. One of the goals is to stock things that people want to buy

If cabelas and bass pro start selling items that are non hunting related but make them money then good on them

It sucks that they are not the hunters Disneyland that they used to be but so far still a solid business. Not sure how long that will hold out?

24-Sep-20
Apparently, Cabelas figured out I was no longer a customer. I used to get about, 15-20 catalogs a year? Maybe they don't even print them anymore? I bought a ton of gear from them, back in the day. Now I work in firearms/ammo.... and I have access to a lot of stuff at cost, so I don't have to "shop" much anymore. I still think Scheels is a class act, and still shop there, especially for anything I need "bow" related. The friendliest employees I've ever run across, and their bow people always seem knowledgeable, and up to date on what I'm looking for. The store I work at sells bowhunting accessories. Stuff you might need in a pinch. I get customers in all the time, who want bows set up. We're not equipped for it. I always say, if you want it set up right, take it to Fargo Scheels.

25-Sep-20
No Mercy - I hope you pass the kind sentiments here on to the executive team at Scheels they would love to see comments. I have seen these threads bashing Cabelas ever since the BP takeover (rightfully so) they suck ass now (im a 25 year card holder). But on every thread about Cabelas I see overwhelming support for Scheels, I cant ever remember a negative comment about Scheels. Obviously they are doing something right and their business model works! Im fortunate enough to have one 20 minutes from where I live - love it!

25-Sep-20
Wood guy is my boy

26-Sep-20
Yes sad indeed what they've become. I remember ordering flies from them by mail from an add in the back of a Fur Fish and Game magazine in the 70s. Thought I'd gone to heaven when I went to a store for the 1st time in Nebraska in the early 80s. The first store near me was in Owatona, Mn. It was a destination for the family. We would actually drive down and get a motel room with the kids just to visit the store. Met Dick Cabela when they opened the Rogers store. Had some questions about their goretex waders and he told me I was the judge and my satisfaction was guaranteed. Now shelves are empty and nothing is easy to find. Even the catalog ordering is no good and prices are not competitive. More often than not I walk out of the store empty handed and shaking my head.

26-Sep-20
Years ago I ordered a bow case from Cabela’s. They sent me a very nice tent that cost three times what the bow case did. I called and told them. Cabela’s promptly sent me the bow case and when I asked about the tent they said just keep it.

26-Sep-20
I don’t have a problem with Cabela's. If I need something I look around the internet to see who has the best price and free shipping and buy it there. Sometimes it’s Cabela’s sometimes it’s eBay, sometimes it’s a place I’ve never heard of and as long as they offer returns and the right price I’ll buy it.

26-Sep-20
Point of interest: I was cruising the Cabela site on line yesterday after reading this and trying to find something to cash in a large amount of gift cards, before things get even tighter. I looked at Kayaks as I need to get 2. There are about 8 or so on sale, and I called the nearest store for availability vs on line sale. The entire set of Kayaks being promoted under some product name (NOT BP) is all BP house product. Looking into reviews on line of what is out there, they were not even mentioned. Doesn't mean it is bad or not a good deal, but it is a house brand which seems to follow much of what is going on here.

26-Sep-20
cabelas/bp rarely are competitively priced it has been years since i purchased an item from either place. always find a better deal somewhere else.

26-Sep-20
I ordered some stuff on 9/17. Got a shipping confirmation on 9/19 and the tracking number showed that it would be delivered on 9/23. On the morning of 9/23 I checked the tracking number on FedEx to make sure it was on schedule and it said the tracking number could not be found and to contact the sender. I needed the stuff by this weekend and contacted customer service and told them that if it is not going to be here by 9/25 to cancel the order and issue a refund. This is the reply that I got:

"Since the order does have a tracking number we will have to see if this can be returned to us, once it is return it will take some time for the return team to process it. Unfortunately we can not promise that this will be returned at this point and if it arrives it can not be sent back. I do apologize for any disappointment and if you need further assistance please contact us.

26-Sep-20
Wow so I’m other words I’m going to have to drive their and not risk ordering in order to use my $89 Cabelas dollars.

26-Sep-20
Cabela's is an excellent place to try out gear and then buy it somewhere cheaper. That being said, I still buy more than the average sportsman from them due to a store being 25 minutes from my house on the way to work.

28-Sep-20
https://www.foxnews.com/us/paul-singer-sidney-nebraska-cabelas-bass-pro-shops-merger

28-Sep-20

hobbes's Link
Try this again

28-Sep-20
Wood guy-I have passed it on. Again, I appreciate the kind words and we will continue to do our best. New stores in 2021 in Missoula and Colorado Springs are looking to be an awesome addition. Good luck to all the rest of this fall.

• Sitka Gear