sticksender 23-Sep-21
Treeline 23-Sep-21
Paul@thefort 24-Sep-21
huntinelk 24-Sep-21
ki-ke 24-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
WV Mountaineer 10-Oct-21
22-Sep-20
I'm heading home from a great diy drop off caribou hunt in AK. Just a couple weeks short of the 10 year anniversary of my first ever caribou hunt.

I realize that the taking of all 5 subspecies isn't the highest pinnical in bowhunting accomplishments and has been done by several dozen others, but with current caribou population and political situation surrounding hunting them in the different areas they live, I feel very fortunate to have successfully hunted all 5 subspecies.

One of the biggest factors in my successful hunts was just complete blind luck on when I booked and went on the hunts, having good timing on these hunts was huge.

I've enjoyed every caribou hunt and hope to do several more, they are such a great animal to bowhunt and live in awesome places.

I'm going to list the 5 that make up my "caribou slam"...or whatever the proper term for it is.

22-Sep-20
Haha, you can say “Slam” if you pay G$CO

Congrats and looking forward to your pics

22-Sep-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo
My first caribou hunt was in Oct 2010. I booked this hunt as a cancellation just a few weeks before the hunt. This being my first time hunting caribou I was a bit green in anylizing antlers and the potential score. At the urging of my guide I passed a much bigger bull early in the hunt only to not have any opportunities until this bull on the last day. No matter the score or rack size this was my introduction to caribou hunting.

22-Sep-20

My second caribou hunt for Mountain Caribou, came as an add on to a successful sheep hunt with Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters in Aug 2013. Taking the sheep early in the hunt allowed several days to hunt caribou. After several attempts at stalking groups of caribou we located this lone bull by himself and was able to get within bow range.

22-Sep-20

My 3rd caribou hunt was for Quebec/Labrador caribou in 2016 with Jack Hume Adventures. We originally booked this hunt as the drive up hunt package with the ability to shoot 2 bulls. Of course before the hunt happened the hunting situation was spiraling downward there. Because of the tag cut backs they did away with the drive up hunts and offered the option to switch to the 6x1 fly up hunt. At the time it really sucked to only be able to hunt for one bull when we had planned on the option for 2 when we booked, but of course the following year was the last and now the ability to hunt that caribou is gone.

22-Sep-20

My fourth caribou was the Central Canadian Barren Ground, in Nunavut with Webbers. 2015 and 2016 the caribou hunting was very poor up there, but for some reason out of blind luck, I still booked for 2017 and it turned out to be an amazing hunt. I was able to take 2 great bulls on this trip.

22-Sep-20
I doubt many others will accomplish that feat. Too many things going on in the Caribou world. Good for you. Enjoy

22-Sep-20

Caribou number 5 was the Barren Ground on the hunt that just ended. Because of the Canada border closure this hunt was put together just 3 weeks ago and again by blind luck the dates were absolutely perfect. Without exaggerating I can conservatively say I saw 5000+ caribou on this hunt. It was like the stories that are told about the past glory days of caribou hunting.

22-Sep-20
Congratulations... Nice bulls....

>>>>-------->

22-Sep-20
Congrats on some nice bous.

I would not call a bou slam common- a great accomplishment.

22-Sep-20
Congratulations!

Hard to believe what has happened in the world of caribou hunting in such a short time! So glad to see the stars align for you to be able to get such great specimens from each of the species!

Have only one but would love to do all of them!

22-Sep-20
Noteworthy accomplishment....especially these days! Congrats!!!

22-Sep-20
Ya did good Gene, congrats on the bou slam!

22-Sep-20
Wow unreal! Congrats and thanks for sharing. Feel free to share some more :)

22-Sep-20
Congrats, Gene! You made the Q-L leg of it just in time!

22-Sep-20
Congrats Gene...Caribou are no doubt special.

22-Sep-20
Very cool!

23-Sep-20
Gene, great job on the caribou slam! You made it look easy on some rally nice critters! And short notice hunts in several cases.

They haven't been as easy for me! I just got my 4th caribou species, a Mt Caribou on a a DIY Northern BC hunt in an LEH area. Got him on the 69th day of hunting Mt Caribou over 8 hunts here at home. The 50 km pack-out (3 trips loaded of 17 km ea) was epic. It took us 5 days as my buddy killed one with a rifle a couple days ahead of me. 9 days after the packing marathon ended, I am starting to feel mostly recovered!

My other 3 species were taken in '84, an Alaska Barren Ground, a '97 Newfoundland Woodland and a 2000 pair of Quebec Labrador caribou.

I'm hoping the Nunavut border opens in 2021 so I can hunt Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou again and complete the Slams...caribou as well an archery Super Slam. My 2020 hunt was postponed as even Canadians from outside of Nunavut and the NWT are banned from entry.

23-Sep-20
Great animals great places. Great accomplishment

23-Sep-20
With all of the restrictions now which subspecies of caribou is most easily obtainable? Cost, logistics, availability, etc.

23-Sep-20
Nice accomplishment, they must take up a lot of wall space. I'm sure they look amazing.

23-Sep-20
Congratulations indeed! Pretty special to hit them all

23-Sep-20
Congratulations on your success

23-Sep-20
nice work.. I think my favorite is the velvet one

23-Sep-20
Congratulations... well done.

23-Sep-20
Like others I echo that being super special. Congrats. Caribou are a dream for me. I've been working while they were there in droves and hunting a migration like that - I can't imagine anything more fun. My one hunt there were no animals, and my second hunt never got off the ground due to lack of animals.

23-Sep-20
Congratulations for sure. Having bowhunted Quebec Caribou twice years ago I can relate to your excitement seeing that "first boo".. Awesome.

23-Sep-20
Congrats!

23-Sep-20
Outstanding! A great accomplishment indeed.

23-Sep-20
Congrats!

23-Sep-20
Congrats, I also have all 5 but being an old timer mine came in 1979 Mt. 1981 QL, 1985 BG, 1993 Woodland and 1996 Cbg. All were great hunts, caribou are majestic!

23-Sep-20
Bowfreak...With exception to cost, I would say Mountain Caribou are most "obtainable". They all have their own set of issues. A couple years ago, I would've said "Woodlands" were most obtainable. While they still are, they have gone through the roof price wise due to the limited tags being issued.

23-Sep-20
Very nice!! Congrats on a wonderful accomplishment!!!

23-Sep-20
Congrats. Thanks for the inspiration ! I am almost finished with my caribou slam as well, this motivates me to get a move on it.

23-Sep-20

Some pictures of 3 of the mounts that I have on my phone

23-Sep-20

23-Sep-20

23-Sep-20

23-Sep-20
Hell of an accomplishment, congrats!

Its a real shame that Quebec Labrador is shut down, I pushed that hunt off cause I figured it would always be there and here we are. Hopefully one day it will open back up.

23-Sep-20
You sir just accomplished my dream. Congratulations! I have 11 Quebec lab bou and only after that season closed did I really decide to make this happen. And to be honest I’ll be happy to accomplish it with a rifle.... you have something to be very proud of.

23-Sep-20
Awesome man!!! Congratulations

23-Sep-20
Bowfreak..... Central Barren ground is very doable as well in Greenland (travel restrictions notwithstanding) I killed a nice bull there last year, and we saw a decent number of animals.

23-Sep-20
Very impressive for sure. I will never get the chance to hunt them but when Tricia and I floated the Mulchatna River Alaska in 1989 on a solo fishing trip, I have always thought that would be a neat way to hunt them, per the river float. We saw them on shore as well as swimming at crossings. Looks like you had some great hunts and experiences. My best, Paul

24-Sep-20
Very Kool

Congrats for being so determined and dedicated to your Goal,

Robb

24-Sep-20
Congratulation Gene! Awesome accomplishment, glad I was there to share one of those. Take care. Russ

24-Sep-20
Congrats! Hunting in the areas where each caribou species lives makes that accomplishment special. They're getting tougher to hunt every year.

25-Sep-20
Thanks for all the comments

25-Sep-20
Nicely done I love Caribou. I wish I would have gone before the collapse.

27-Sep-20
Huge congrats Gene!!!

Mark

29-Sep-20
Congrats Gene!

29-Sep-20
Nice going! I'd be happy with just one of those with a bow. Its coming soon to a theatre near me. Congrats on such success.

29-Sep-20
Way cool....congrats!

29-Sep-20
You need a ceiling lift or a lower floor to do those mounts justice.

02-Oct-20
Bou,

The new trophy room is a project for when I'm too old and feeble to go on hunting trips...

02-Oct-20
Great job, that is amazing.

02-Oct-20
Congrats that's a great accomplishment.

04-Oct-20

Curt Wells's embedded Photo
Curt Wells's embedded Photo
Congrats, huntinelk. Coincidently, I too just returned from a DIY drop hunt in Alaska. Froze my rear end off in the Brooks Range but I also completed my “Caribou Slam.” It was an epic adventure, as all my caribou hunts have been. They are awesome animals.

22-Dec-20
Great Bulls Gene! Congrats man!!

23-Dec-20
Gene, Well done!!

23-Dec-20
Congrats on some nice bulls and getting all the species of caribou!

23-Dec-20
Great accomplishment! Congratulations

23-Dec-20
Pretty cool! Congrats Gene!

23-Dec-20
Phenomenal accomplishment Gene! Super cool animals and a lifetime of memories made. Congratulations!

23-Dec-20
One of my favorite animals! Congrats!!

24-Dec-20
Thanks again for the comments, hard to believe that 3 months have passed already.

Merry Christmas to everybody.

24-Dec-20
Well Gene, that is impressive! It only took me a few minutes to read your report. I can not imagine the time and energy to accomplish all of these bou hunts over the years. Nicely done. my best, Paul

24-Dec-20
Awesome adventures with excellent results! Thanks for sharing!

09-Mar-21

Not the best pic, but just picked up #5 from the taxidermist.

09-Mar-21
Looks great! This is my dream and it will be accomplished!

09-Mar-21
Good looking mount Gene! Congrats again on all 5!!

09-Mar-21
Looks great! This is my dream and it will be accomplished!

09-Mar-21
Wow!!!!! Nice

09-Mar-21
You got in when the getting was good! Congrats!

Caribou prices has gone bonkers with Canada closing etc. The Caribou Slam maybe a thing of the past if Quebec/Labrador never reopen....

14-Mar-21
Wow!!!!! Nice

22-Sep-21

huntinelk's Link
One year later...just popping this up to add a couple pics of my "upgraded" Barren Ground caribou. This caribou was an add on to my sheep hunt last month.

22-Sep-21

23-Sep-21
Another nice one Gene! Really long "longest" top tines! Nice work! Kurt

23-Sep-21
You did good up there, congrats!

23-Sep-21
Heck yeah! Great upgrade! Congratulations!

24-Sep-21
Gene, that is at a whole different level. Nicely done. I am willing to carry your backpack on your next trip. Let me know.-----you know "one for the gripper". my best, Paul

24-Sep-21

Paul you are more than welcome on any trip that I go on....you carrying my backpack would probably be the only way I could keep up with you.

24-Sep-21
Thats a great BG bou Gene!! Congrats!!

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Ttt

• Sitka Gear