soccern23ny 22-Sep-20
WV Mountaineer 22-Sep-20
Pete-pec 22-Sep-20
Kurt 22-Sep-20
Bowfreak 23-Sep-20
deerslayer37 23-Sep-20
Trial153 23-Sep-20
22-Sep-20
Just returned the Cabela's pro series 12" vacuum sealer.

Sealed the whole veggies as a test, and thought all was good.

But 3 days, and a week later on another there was air in the package.

What's a good one for sub 250$?

Looking at foodsaver ones now, but there are a lot of options. I don't want to play the return or warranty game

22-Sep-20
I’m done with vacuum sealers. At some point I’ll get a chamber sealer. Until then I’m wrapping with plastic wrap then wax butcher paper.

22-Sep-20
It was likely your bags. Not your sealer.

22-Sep-20
@WV

2 different brands... the cabelas that came with it. And food saver bag

22-Sep-20
According to the Pm's I've gotten, I may be entirely wrong about the bags being the problem.

22-Sep-20
Do you make sure you have a dry seal where you heat your plastic together? While drawing vacuum, you can draw moisture as well as blood where you are going to "weld" your seal. Here's my trick. Ziplock first, freeze on a flat surface, and then vacuum wrap the frozen meat in the ziplock. An added bonus, is taking a simple ziplock sandwich bag that you slip a piece of paper in, that describes the meat (date, type of cut, and the species). And food saver works well enough in my opinion. Do they make more expensive stuff? You bet. Needed? Nope!

22-Sep-20
Our 20 yr old Cabelas sold Foodsaver just died. I bought the $150 Canadian Foodsaver that our local COSTCO had in stock to finish up packaging my caribou. It works very well....hope it lasts as well as the previous one.

We really like vacuum sealed game meat. We've had some 6 yr old elk that was as good as the day we sealed it. Not on purpose but hey, occasionally a package hides out for a while.

23-Sep-20
I don't know what model of food saver I have but it has been a workhorse. From time to time you will get some air in the bag but for me it is more of a function of the bag integrity or when I cut a bag a little short and don't leave enough excess bag for easy sealing. I have also been guilty of slinging packages around in the freezer and causing leakers.

23-Sep-20
Has anyone ever vacuum packed meat that has been processed and wrapped with freezer paper? Wondering if you vacuum pack it rite away, will it extend the life of the frozen meat?

23-Sep-20
After going cheap a couple times...vac sealers a good buy once cry once item. If you can't swing a chamber sealer, look at lems and western in the 300-500 range.

• Sitka Gear