Primeshooter04 26-Sep-20
GF 26-Sep-20
LBshooter 26-Sep-20
Sand man 27-Sep-20
Sand man 27-Sep-20
Ucsdryder 27-Sep-20
Bowman 28-Sep-20
26-Sep-20
Long time trad shooter converting to compound. Trying to minimize cost as much as possible. Bought a cheap Bear compound (Bear Limitless) with a whisker biscuit. Set it to 40 pounds @ 29" draw. Planning to shoot Muzzy 3 blades. Question is what do I need to look for as far as arrows? Want to buy finished arrows or use some Carbon Express 150's I have laying around. If I use the CE I'd have to remove the feathers and refletch with plastic vanes. Advice? Thanks!

26-Sep-20
Carbon Express 150 will work fine for your set up. You can shoot feathers through a whisker biscuit but plastic blazer vanes work better.

26-Sep-20
Thanks!

26-Sep-20
Unless you already have the Muzzys, I would recommend a two blade cut on contact broadhead at that draw weight.

26-Sep-20
Single bevel 2 blade. 40lbs? Why so light? If your older I can understand but younger guys should be shooting way more then that. 40lbs leave much more room for error and no pass throughs

26-Sep-20
If you’re coming from Trad, where did you get the 150s??

Aren’t those crazy stiff?

FWIW, a #40 recurve should blow through a whitetail with a good COC; a #40 compound will push a lot more energy than #55 stickbow. So unless you cripple the rig with a crazy-light arrow, you should have some wiggle room; COC will always penetrate best, of course...

Just depends whether you want to be hunting at stickbow range or long-distance.

26-Sep-20
Feathers work as mentioned, the only thing I would consider is switching to a cut on contact head shooting 40 lbs.

27-Sep-20

Sand man's embedded Photo
My daughter passed away 7 yrs ago and I’ve been hunting with her Diamond Edge. 46# with 3 blade NAP expandable with cut on contact tip. No issues here.

27-Sep-20

All about shot placement. #40 will pass through
All about shot placement. #40 will pass through
My daughter passed away 7 yrs ago and I’ve been hunting with her Diamond Edge. 46# with 3 blade NAP expandable with cut on contact tip. No issues here.

27-Sep-20
Gf, carbon express uses their own spines. It goes the opposite direction.

28-Sep-20

Bowman's Link
I think here https://drmental.org they can help you look at everything from the other side. And help you find new ideas

• Sitka Gear