txhunter58 29-Sep-20
lewis 29-Sep-20
BULELK1 01-Oct-20
tkjwonta 10-Oct-20
Zim 10-Oct-20
swede 11-Oct-20
wytex 12-Oct-20
27-Sep-20
I'm looking for elk hunt ideas for my uncle. He's in his 60s and pretty decent shape, but has never been out west for an elk hunt. I'm looking for hunts that might provide better elk numbers/opportunities than general OTC seasons, but trophy quality is NOT a big concern. So far, the ideas I've come up with are: buying a NM landowner tag, paying for private access in CO, or pooling his points with mine for a WY general tag. Any general thoughts on which of these would provide the best first-timer elk experience? Other ideas I'm missing?

27-Sep-20
Have Paul@thefort take. him. He’s 80. Lol

27-Sep-20
Look at Colorado Ranching for Wildlife outfitters. They’re private land, good elk numbers, generally lower on the trophy scale.

27-Sep-20
A lot of private land outfitters sell cow elk hunts on hay fields for $1k-$1700.

28-Sep-20
"60s and pretty decent shape" means he can do 95%+ of elk hunts so your search narrows to shot opportunity.

Is he less than 30 lbs overweight? Will he take the hunt seriously and do 40 minutes of vigorous exercise 4 days a week along with a 3-4 mile walk the 2 months before the hunt? If so, he can do almost any elk hunt.

28-Sep-20
If he's above 8000 feet in altitude he'll need time to adjust. It's tough for some of us

28-Sep-20
Alot of the guys we take are that age.

28-Sep-20
“By the time you have money, you have no time.”

Take a “trip of a lifetime, every year”.

If he’d like a horseback adventure to the Colorado mountains book with Forest.

PS: When I was in my 30’s I read about some of Fred Bears hunts. Most of his best known adventures were done in his 60’s. Now that I’m in my 60’s I get it.

28-Sep-20
Charlie...2X!!!

28-Sep-20
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. As Ike mentioned, he probably can do just about any elk hunt, but for a guy that has only ever been a pheasant/waterfowl/whitetail hunter around home in the midwest, I don't know that he's prepared for the mental and physical challenge of a multi-day horseback or backpack hunt.

28-Sep-20
Charlie X3.. Do it now, don't look back..

28-Sep-20
So, my son & I are about 4 miles back this year and meet up with 3 other hun ters. As we're swapping stories & lies, one of the guys (likely 30's) says: "so, how old are you? I reply , 66 tomorrow. He then says, so there's hope for us!" LOL

>>>>-------->

28-Sep-20
Charlie x10.

"I don't know that he's prepared for the mental and physical challenge of a multi-day horseback or backpack hunt."

Please take the time to get him there - it could very well be the greatest time either of you have ever had -------- together! ............... If you don't, and something happens, you may, very well regret it the rest of your life.

28-Sep-20
Tkj, in your situation I might consider a two year solution. You having elk points in Wyoming tells me that you are probably a serious elk hunter. Therefore, if you pooled your points with your uncle for year one your questions would be answered and you could control the level of activities. If all went well, you could decide if a year two with a reasonable outfitter for him would be in order such as mentioned above. IMHO giving up your points would be well worth it but I realize every situation is different. Maybe you can let us know what you decide......Badbull

28-Sep-20
Bear Mtn Outfitters with Brad Probst out of Kremmling CO. OTC units but all private land. PM me if you want details.

29-Sep-20
Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far. I spoke to my uncle last night and it sounds like he is up for packing in to the backcountry or truck camping or staying in town, whatever the situation dictates. So pretty much all the options are on the table.

If I was an experienced elk hunter, and not just an experienced preference point purchaser, I would definitely be pooling my WY points with him and doing a DIY hunt. But I'm still thinking it might be worth our $ to look at private land access/drop camp/LE tags to give us more opportunities and help overcome our inexperience.

29-Sep-20
Try OTC in western Washington. A supreme challenge, but unmatched for fun if you go to the right area. Not your 'typical' elk hunt by any means, but I'd not hesitate trying it out. Skamania County...

29-Sep-20
Colorado Private ranches trespass’s hunts.

29-Sep-20
I’ll be 74 in November God willing have no idea where the time went but it waits on no one so what Charlie said x4 go for it Good luck and stay safe Lewis

01-Oct-20
'Every Day is Saturday' now that he is retired. (C-man Quote)

If he has any Wyo elk points, he is very welcome in my Wyo bow elk camp (free) as most of the returning guys are becoming Gray Beards.

Good luck, Robb

10-Oct-20
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I think we're going to start slow with a CO deer/elk hunt next year, and then depending on how things go, we'll continue from there. I really do get excited about taking people out west, and especially people I care about, and I appreciate you guys fostering that drive. Hope to be posting harvest pictures, or at least really cool scenery this time next year.

10-Oct-20
Thornton x2. I took two cows this year, and one was a $1,000 private land cow tag. They have access to a few hundred acres with numerous tree stands setup. There are many older and overweight individuals that do this each year as it gives them a elk hunting experience with virtually a 100% shot opportunity. Good way to ease into things. I grew up in Utah and can attest to how much easterners struggle with the rugged mountains and altitude. An easy hunt like this is a great starting point for flatlanders. Most importantly, make him get out there and do it!

11-Oct-20
I would recommend you take a high quality tree stand with you. You might find taking two good stands will be useful. Hunt half of the day on the ground if you please, then get into your stand in the afternoon, or rest in the stand every other day. It is a rare season I do not get an elk from my stand. You just need to locate a place where elk venture to once in awhile during the season. The book I wrote on the subject of tree stand elk hunting might come in handy. It could cut your learning curve down a lot.

12-Oct-20
Maybe look into cow tags in Wyoming but some ranch hunts in general areas would fit your bill. Some decent ranch hunts around the Snowies in Wyoming.

• Sitka Gear