BULELK1 05-Oct-20
WV Mountaineer 05-Oct-20
Hh76 05-Oct-20
Hank_S 05-Oct-20
Big John 05-Oct-20
Kodiak 05-Oct-20
Quinn @work 05-Oct-20
30-Sep-20
As I age I'm really liking the comforts of a wall tent but have some questions before I pull the trigger. It would be used in September 95% of the time but possibly a winter hunt at some point. Mostly 2 or 3 guys with the chance of a 4th from time to time. With that in mind I'm leaning toward a 14x16 with an 8' overhang out from the door. Looking at several manufactures right now.....Davis, Wall Tent Shop, Montana, etc.

Fire treated or not? Back door needed? 2 windows enough? Extra rafters needed? Square stove or round bottom? 4" or 5" stove pipe? Vinyl floor or just junk carpet?

30-Sep-20
I am very satisfied with the 12'X14' wall tent I got from the Wall Tent Shop. I got mine treated with an extra window and a back door. Sometimes I use only one door, but often the second comes in handy, especially with more people using the tent. I got my tent with a fly and use a blue tarp for the floor. I think the wall Tent floors are better than a cheap tarp, but I would not sacrifice the fly. Call the Wall Tent shop for the best recommendation on stoves.

30-Sep-20

Mule Power's embedded Photo
A 10x12 is a two man... so if you have 3 and maybe a 4th the 14x16 is perfect. The sides on flat stoves warp. Get a round (cylinder) stove for sure. A wall tent is an investment and water/fire/mildew treated is a cheap insurance policy on your investment. It’s the only way to go! My overhang is 7 feet. My tarp is 18x24. There’s 1 foot of tarp pulled down the backside of the tent leaving 7 feet out front. When you order from the Wall Tent Shop which I HIGHLY recommend, you have the option of a rear window or rear door for free. I used to get the window but never used it. I just replaced my 10x12 with a 14x16 and went with the door. That way if the zipper ever fails I don’t have to replace it or at least not in a hurry. For a floor I use mesh tarps. Harbor Freight has them as does Rural King. They mat the grass down and keep dust down but let water run through. Light weight too. If you order from WTS get the rubber caps for the bottom of the legs. Keeps the poles from damaging the vinyl sod cloth.

30-Sep-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Mine would sleeping 6 comfortably. Pic is only showing about 1/2 the tent.
LINK's embedded Photo
Mine would sleeping 6 comfortably. Pic is only showing about 1/2 the tent.
I have a used WTS 16x20 with a square packable stove, id have to look for brand.My tent is a bit big for my stove but during this years 20 degree weather the stove probably kept it somewhere around 50. Mine has a window on each side which is nice and a door or each end. 2 doors is not needed but I like having the ability to open it up to get air moving through it during the mid day. I also use a tarp for the floor. My stove uses a 5” pipe and will accept a 6”x18” log and will get hot. I don’t have a fly and in two day’s of intermittent rain I had no leaks.

30-Sep-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
My stove is the tundra takedown stove on WTS website $230. I think it would be perfect for a 14x16. Sometimes it gets too hot. I’d get the nesting stove pipe and water tank as well.

30-Sep-20

Any stove will turn cherry red if you feed it to much air. Cylinder Stoves of Utah makes a couple models. I really like their stoves. The Outfitter will definitely suffice. The Yukon would be a luxury as it fits quite a bit more wood so you don’t have to restack it during the night. By all means go with a 5 rafter. Huge difference. No sagging in the roof. I use 5 on a 12 footer. The tarp isn’t for leaks. It’s for the hot ashes that fall onto the canvas when they hit the cool air and drop. The longest poles on a tent are the rafters. On a 14x16 they are nearly 8 feet. So I buy the couplers from the Wall Tent Shop and split those in half as you can see in the pic.

30-Sep-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Great for pack in trips where space and weight are important
Ambush's embedded Photo
Great for pack in trips where space and weight are important
Single pole, so sets up fast and easy, is compact and light. It's still fairly heavy canvass and I have the fly that can be set up on it's own. This one is 14'X14' for lots of floor space, but the design limits headroom on the sides. It sheds snow and wind very well. Even Wyoming wind! Made by Beckle Canvass in Oregon.

And I'm a skeptic when people tell me that they setup, guy out and tarp their big walls tents "...in like half an hour..."

30-Sep-20

With internal frame less than a half hour easily.... by myself! Add time for the tarp. Old school lodgepole frame... yep longer.

30-Sep-20
Joe, do you split the rafters for easier transport? Thanks for all the input guys.

30-Sep-20

Mule Power's Link
Here’s a pretty good read on setting up a tent properly solo. When you get good at setting up and using one they are the Fort Knox of camps.

30-Sep-20

dakotahunter's embedded Photo
dakotahunter's embedded Photo
I have a 12 X 14 from Davis Tents and really glad I went that route. I got old too and much prefer coming back to my wall tent compared to a small backpack tent. I got the Wilderness stove from the Wall Tent Shop and it hasn't warped on me yet. The size I have is plenty of room for two and could do three. I added an 8 foot porch to the front. I use outdoor carpeting for a floor on the back half of the tent for cots. I have a window in the back wall which I would recommend at least that.

30-Sep-20
12x14 with 8' porch is exactly what I have...sadly no pics at this time everything is loaded on the truck to pull out tomorrow. Went with Davis Tent and got their mid range stove...spending a week in CO with nights in the low teens in a loner tent and sheep herder stove with no damper made up my mind...a buddy picked up a floor from Davis as well...he felt like he needed to contribute to the cause and its appreciated.

If you're interested I will try and snap some pics once we are setback up.

30-Sep-20
Yes for transport. No longer have an 8 foot truck bed.

30-Sep-20

Hh76's embedded Photo
Hh76's embedded Photo
Got a 14x16 from davis tent, and am happy so far. Haven't been out with the stove yet in this one, but used a wood stove in our previous army tent. If you don't have to lug it too far, get a bigger stove. Longer burn time, and lots of cooking space.

Get a fly, or at least bring a tarp to cover. UV and embers are big killers of canvas.

I was back and forth about the fire treatment, and ended up getting it. It's supposed to help keep embers from doing too much damage. It added cost and weight, but it's piece of mind for the long lifespan of a good tent.

I also got the rear door, and it is nice for ventilation in the heat. It also will allow me to add a "cook shack" tent to either end.

If things go right, I will never have to replace this tent, so I tried not to skimp.

30-Sep-20
I can set up my 10x12 Davis tent in about 20mins - tarped - by myself - and be drinking a beer in a chair in 30min

It’s really not that difficult

30-Sep-20
I purchased a Kodiak Tent - by far the best $500.00 investment I've ever made. It says that it can be assembled in about 7 minutes by one person. I watched some you tube videos. Right out of the box, first time, I put it up in about 10 minutes by myself. Same thing for take down.

I have the 10 x 14 and it works perfect for 2 guys and a couple totes each. I would absolutely go up another size for more people. 3 guys would work but without the totes.

I put a stove jack in it and use a small propane heater to take the chill off.

A few years ago in CO my brother and I spent the afternoon and night in a wild storm with high winds, rain, sleet, and snow with absolutely no issues.

30-Sep-20
Mule Power x 10. Everything he’s said mimics my feelings and experiences concerning wall tents.

30-Sep-20
Time flies when you're having fun :)

30-Sep-20

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
set up with the 8' awning & frame w/tarp for just awning.
tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
set up with the 8' awning & frame w/tarp for just awning.
I have the Davis 10 x 12 (good for two with gear, three just a little crowded but very doable) with the zipper screen & door along with the Colorado door, one window in the back, I also had my flue ran out the side, 5", that way I can have one complete tarp on the roof and a lot less chance of an amber burning holes in the roof and no water dripping down flue pipe, a Mr. Heater works great as well. I bought the angle kit to do my internal frame myself to save money, was easy to do. I use two tarps for the floor (base and overlay for over sod cloth) and then outdoor carpet for extra bare foot comfort, I have the lg wood stove. I recently added wall sleeve's in the front to add the 8' canopy as a part of the frame system-much better in high winds. S other's have mentioned it's worth the investment to do water/mold/fire treatments. I've owned and used wall tent's the last 30+yrs from a couple different manufactures, and Davis tent and awning I feel has been the best, and their customer service is awesome! Best of luck!

30-Sep-20

30-Sep-20

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
You guys live LARGE! This one is considered a 10-man. A stove built out of a .50 Cal ammo can always took care of my heat requirements. Single pole is all that you Must have. Cost me maybe $100; probably about a buck a pound. LOL

I’m sure it would weigh a whole lot less if I could get all the dirt off of it…

Actually, though… I was just about to ask if anybody knows who makes a good Tipi. The Squad just isn’t that attractive in the back yard, but I need dry storage this winter...

30-Sep-20
The field mice will love it!

01-Oct-20

Every time there’s a thread about wall tents there are people who comment about their Davis Tent. No doubt they make a great tent AND they are super nice people. I bought a tent from them after talking with them at an outdoor show. When I was outfitting I’d set up and break down 12 or 16 tents a year. I’ve owned Davis, Montana Canvas, Big Sky Tents, Colorado Tents, Buckstitch Canvas and a few more I can’t remember the names of. I always wonder if the Davis fans ever saw or tried a tent from the Wall Tent Shop. The first time I ordered one I was skeptical because of the price. The price was the reason I bought it. Not only was it the cheapest but shipping is free which can be a lot because of the size and weight especially with a steel angle kit in the box. When the tent arrived I was shocked. Sold for life. Canvas was very heavy and not a flaw in it. All wear points.. corners, entire ridge etc were double canvas. Zipper was heavy duty. Instead of grommets punched through the canvas it had seat belt strapping down the eaves with heavy D rings sewn in. Sod cloth was standard not an option. Snap buckles to hold the door flaps open. There’s not one thing I would change. One year I drove over to Idaho to pick up 6 tents from them. Everyone there was as nice as could be. So if you’re shopping for a tent and comparing prices I can definitely vouch for the quality of their stuff. Give em a try and see for yourself.

01-Oct-20

bowonly's embedded Photo
bowonly's embedded Photo
After years of sleeping in backpacking tents and huddling under old blue tarps for shelter to cook and socialize, I broke down and bought a 12 x 14 Montana Canvas wall tent for our elk camp. Wish I had done that earlier on. When it rains, you can cook and dry clothes out and just lounge around instead of having to push the water off of sagging tarps and standing around a smokey fire to stay warm.

I bought the joints and cut my own aluminum rails for the internal frame. Two doors work great especially for venting the tent on hot days. It has a window, but I never use it. An attached floor would add to the weight. A mesh floor is a must to keep dust down. Tarps will do but you have to sweep more.

I can put the whole thing up in under a half hour by myself after practice, but I do wish I had gotten the option of Relite walls to keep the weight down. Lifting it by myself is getting harder.

I use a big tarp over top for the embers and to extend the overhang for cooking an storage. Even bigger tarps with more overhang allow storage alongside the tent.

They will outlast you, if you treat them right. And they really add to the experience of a drive to base camp.

01-Oct-20

bowonly's embedded Photo
We just use it for socializing and eating. Sleeping is separate in smaller tents
bowonly's embedded Photo
We just use it for socializing and eating. Sleeping is separate in smaller tents

01-Oct-20

bowonly's embedded Photo
Get a high sidewall for more useable space
bowonly's embedded Photo
Get a high sidewall for more useable space

01-Oct-20
I love my Davis Tent. My ten is 14 x19. It was a miss measured tent that I got a deal on. I highly suggest once you decide on the size add 2 feet both width and length.

01-Oct-20

bowonly's embedded Photo
bowonly's embedded Photo

01-Oct-20
^^^^. I can smell the wood smoke and canvass just looking at Mule’s picture!!!

01-Oct-20
I do 2 or 3 people usually (4 on occasion) and my 12x14 is plenty big, even with a large stove and wood inside.

01-Oct-20
Hunted out of a friends Davis Tent. Easy setup and very comfortable. Would definately buy one if I was in the market for a wall tent.

01-Oct-20
Joe you need put on the payroll brother haha! I understand though, if I'm very confident in someone's product I will push it too. Thanks for all the input guys.

02-Oct-20
Haha I love my tent! I leave next Friday and to be honest I’m as excited to set up my brand new 14x16 as I am to go hunting.

02-Oct-20
Have fun MP!

Would you be willing to time yourself on the setup? From the time you hop off the tailgate up to the point of tarping over . Just the actual tent set up. Not a race, just a real life test.

I’ve been looking at a couple other “fast up” tents with smaller footprints (than what I have) , but I’m not yet convinced the setup time saved is worth it Or that there even is a difference.

You’re probably about as practiced as one can get.

02-Oct-20
I’ll do that. I have a system set in stone. I tell my partner just split wood I got this. But in my opinion it doesn’t really matter how long it takes. What matters is the functionality and efficiency of the end product.

02-Oct-20
^^^ That is true and why I like my current tent for extended trips.

I'd like a smallish cabin tent (where I'm not humped over like a beagle on a football) mostly as a weekend type deal. I have an oversized canopy with a cot for sleeping, but it would be really nice to have a tent that I could pitch quickly right behind the canopy for cooking, eating, getting dressed and lounging after dark, likely with a small diesel heater. Even 8'X10' . Speed and ease for one person would be top criteria. I know two people can often do a job four times as fast as one.

02-Oct-20
I’ll tell you what...

I hadn’t pitched my squad tent in about 20 years, and fair to say it took me “a minute”! LOL

03-Oct-20
I have a Kodiak canvas flexbow tent. Easy and quick to set up. I use a big buddy propane heater for cold weather. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyXSjXv-prA

03-Oct-20
Where’s your coffee cup to promote your favorite wall tent?

03-Oct-20

03-Oct-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

03-Oct-20

03-Oct-20
Peej, I also have a Kodiak. 10 x 14, great tent, easy to set up and the rubber floor is also a great feature-wife & kids love that, but for any hunt's longer than three days I prefer my wall tent, not to mention I had about 4"+ of snow on the Kodiak last spring at the CTAS high country shoot and I wasn't to impressed with how it was holding to the snow, granted it was a very wet spring snow but it sagged/stretched way to much, but great for warmer/rainy months.

04-Oct-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I downsized my Wall Tent! haha

Robb

04-Oct-20
Robb is that for the guy who ate baked beans! Lol

05-Oct-20
HaHa Prolly---

You guys got some dang nice Wall Tent set-ups,

Robb

05-Oct-20
I used to set my 16 by 20 wall tent up, start to finish, by myself, with the floor strawed in and area rugs set, in less then an hour. That’s fly and all.

I’m by far the dumbest person on this thread for selling it.

05-Oct-20
What I realized about setting up camp with a big wall tent, is that you tend to bring a lot more equipment, and that is the time consuming part of setting up.

I can have my 14x16 set up with floor, tarp/awning and staked in less than 45min by myself. Then it takes another hour to set up the table, cots, chairs, stove, lights, organize the kitchen, etc...

05-Oct-20
Hh76...X2!!!

05-Oct-20
I have 2 Davis Tents, 14X16 and a 8X10. I can set up the 14X16 by myself in about 30 min. They are great tents and we have used them in single digit temps for many years. The are very comfortable tents!!! The 8X10 is used as a kitchen tent.

05-Oct-20
I've got a Montana Canvas 14x17 with the aluminum frame. It's extremely well made. Good for about 4 with gear, table, wood stove etc. I wish it had a porch and two doors to let some air go through. It can get pretty warm in there.

05-Oct-20
Davis Tent supports the CBA, the CBA supports bowhunting in CO. I bought a Davis Tent and have had it for 20+ years.

05-Oct-20
I currently have sold my wall tent, latest was a Cabela's Alaknak, which was a pretty decent structure, 99 pounds included all rigging and stove. We've mostly had Ellis wall tents (Durango, CO) as well as Davis and Montana canvas, all got the job done and were pleasant to use. The reason I'm without a tent is that we've found great applications for our light weight tipis and pyramid structures. Backpacking I use the seek outside redcliffe, which I suppose you could put 2 cots in depending how you arrange the stove (8 pounds with all rigging and stove). If you want a wall tent like experience the 16 man tipi has more standing room (height above 6 ft tall) than 12x14 wall tent with 4 ft sides, plenty of room for 4 cots, stove, wood, table,etc. our kifaru weighs around 15-20 pounds with all rigging and stove. Both set up in minutes and are very storm worthy. Just a thought if you're about to invest $1-3k.

• Sitka Gear