standswittaknife 05-Oct-20
wildwilderness 05-Oct-20
JRABQ 05-Oct-20
Shrewski 05-Oct-20
BowmanMD 06-Oct-20
wildwilderness 06-Oct-20
standswittaknife 06-Oct-20
02-Oct-20
So I have 15 points in WY for Moose, trying to decided if it’s worth buying a $150 point for this year? Non-Resident. When could I ever draw?

Other factors- I just killed a Shiras in Colorado, medium sized. I have 12 points in UT as well. AND I live in AK so can hunt moose whenever I want.....

02-Oct-20
Under those circumstances I would drop out, but it's a personal decision.

02-Oct-20
Probably not “worth it” on a strictly monetary basis, but then again very few of the big-3 draws in any state are “worth it” especially for those people holding far less than max points. Except for those determined to hunt these species by DIY. Which is the only reason I've continued, in spite on the fiscal irresponsibility of doing it that way. By that I mean as compared to simply purchasing hunts in Canada where a guide would be required. Just depends on whether you “need” another DIY Shiras Moose.

02-Oct-20
Appears Wyoming issued one nonresident bull moose tag in the 17 point pool for 2020. All other tags required 18 points or more. With 15 points currently, you would have been in the 14 point pool for 2020 draw. Random tag odds are >1%.

02-Oct-20
I would be in the 15 point draw for 2020. I can still buy a point this year and put in with 16 next year

02-Oct-20
How old are you?

02-Oct-20
I stopped applying for moose in WY a few years ago because the game is now ridiculous. That said, I didn't have as many points as you. But I've not shot a Shiras and I'd really like to hunt moose in the lower 48. I also live in AK and hunt moose every year.

Basically, it's a personal decision. Having hunted moose in CO, I can see dropping out. But you've come so far.

I'm really curious how old you are because the guys with more points than you, in my estimation, are almost all baby-boomers and are either going to draw or drop out shortly.

That said, the quality of the moose hunt in WY is and has been crashing for a long time and I wonder if there's going to be any legal or worthwhile moose hunt in WY outside of SE WY or the Bighorns in 10 years. If that happens, those tags will be impossible to draw and will western WY be worth hunting for moose (a hunt that comes with a lot of baggage) when it's so expensive to draw the tag over time and you already have one?

Tough call. I can see you making the decision either way.

02-Oct-20
I’m 43- should be enough time to draw? I just don’t know if I love hunting moose. I definitely wouldn’t put in for a tag until I leave Alaska, which may be in about 10 years if my wife makes it :)

02-Oct-20
Well, there you go. I also put in for mountain goat points in the lower 48, but entirely because of the possibility that I ever leave AK for career reasons and still want to hunt goats. That's a consideration.

That said (like you implied), moose hunting sucks. I know it's a dream hunt for guys that have done it zero to a few times, and it is a bucket list hunt for a lot of guys, but it's a miserable hunt, at least in AK, and although I really want one really big moose, it's the hunt I look forward to the least out of all my hunts: It's (generally) cold, wet, expensive, difficult to get around, frequently lacking in action, and if you're "lucky" enough to kill one, you're immediately f--ked in the a--. A buddy of mine, Paul, recently said something that I wholeheartedly agree with: "Moose are cool animals. It's a shame they're so big."

I can see being happy with your CO moose and dropping out. WY really made the cost of staying in the game ridiculous. I dropped out mostly out of protest as I just can't agree with the PP system coupled with the cost - everyone has their reasons.

02-Oct-20
I was in the same boat with just a few less points than you have and decided to cash out. I figured I’d never catch up so I used my points to draw an antlerless tag this year and fill the freezer with meat. Driving out west right now with the bow in the backseat to get it done!!

03-Oct-20
My thought goes back to my Tule elk and California. I got lucky and drew a tag back in 2006? And shot an ok busted bull that grossed 225 with broken tines so net less than P&Y. I was military and was informed the next year Ft Hunter Liggett was starting a military point system so I would get in at Max with a solid chance to draw another tag soon. However my economic situation wasn’t as strong, and I had already abandoned California Points(I was in at the beginning but knew I was leaving CA) and wasn’t worth the $ at that time. So I stopped putting in for Tules and will probably never get a bigger one. But I still need a Roosie so that takes precedent.

So, I feel I’m in WY only if I can get a good Shiras Moose, solid P&Y. How many points is it taking for that? I have $ but also have a lot of other species I still need to hunt...

03-Oct-20
That makes sense BowmanMD, but killing a cow moose in the lower 48 when you live in AK makes zero sense. I'd rather bring totes full of whiskey and vegetables to AK than a bunch of moose meat. No one does that. Moose meat and AK are a one-way street and that road goes south.

That said, I've brought a lot of meat to AK...

03-Oct-20
A P&Y Shiras is not currently tough to get in WY. The tag is the hard part. And while the Rosie tags in CA are amazing, the ones that are worthwhile (unrestricted antler bulls) can't be drawn without max points unless you beat odds that are well beyond 1 in 100.

You can hunt Rosies OTC in OR. You can't hunt Shiras or Tules without drawing a crazy tag. That weighs in.

Rosie hunting is another miserable hunt. I don't know if I'll ever do it again and I'd like to get a bigger one.

03-Oct-20
I guess I have til end of the month to decide. And yes, Moose hunting is a grind....

I’ll have to do a recap on my Colorado hunt that I’m glad is over :)

03-Oct-20
Sitting at 16 as life got in the way the last couple of years and I didn't apply. I could be at 17 points end of 2020. Working thru the same calculus. I'm almost 46....not sure what I want to do.

03-Oct-20
I would definitely stop if I were you. I have 19 and I can get a decent hunt in the next 5 years - hopefully. WY will change the system (it is only a matter of when - there are rumors now about ending it) and it is not going to help NR with high points. WY will do whatever makes the most money. The even send out surveys to determine what that is. Once the 90% of guys not near the top realize they are decades away and start to drop WY will change the system to get them back.

04-Oct-20
If you hunt smart a moose in Wyoming can be a very easy hunt. If you enjoy the meat then keep buying PP and perhaps you'll draw.

05-Oct-20
I'm 60 and setting on 20 points but don't plan on hunting for another 3 years after retirement, so not sure what kind of a tag I can try to cash out at that time...

05-Oct-20
Z--keep in mind that if the 10 % non-ressy Sheep/Moose and so forth does pass?

Ya might wish ya cashed in before hand.

Just a thought,

Robb

05-Oct-20
Thanks for the input Robb... I take it only 10 percent of the tags will then go to no-residents? Any inkling when this might happen? Being so far in the future, haven't kept up with that info at this time... Thanks...

Never know what the future holds, but at that time may think about moving out there for a while after retirement, I lived in Colorado a couple years and luved the Cheyenne area and will probably sell my house here and downsize after retirement,,, but being the only child of elderly parents, don't know what will happen... I'll just keep plugging along and keep dreaming, I guess...8^) I just know I'm too old and fat now to dream of Alaska anymore...8^)

05-Oct-20
under your particular circumstances... I'd probably bail. unfortunately 15 is just not enough to catch the company any time soon.

05-Oct-20
I don’t have any ties to WY either and the way they keep raising prices and cutting NR tags It looks grim.

Now if they eradicate wolves again moose might rebound but that’s a pipe dream :(

05-Oct-20
I'm in a similar boat. I guess I'm staying in for now just hoping to draw a random tag, think of it as spending $150 on raffle tickets for a 1% chance, not a terrible deal.

05-Oct-20
If I were in your situation, definitely already having a Shiras no matter the size, I would stop applying in Wyoming for moose. I’d hunt big moose at home and not worry about the little ones.

06-Oct-20

BowmanMD's embedded Photo
BowmanMD's embedded Photo
Here’s what I cashed my 12 Wyoming moose points in for. No regrets! Super fun hunt. Tried to get it done with my bow, but it was really tough trying to find a cow without a calf and then sneaking close enough in those river bottoms filled with crunchy leaves was close to impossible. Freezer’s full!!

06-Oct-20
Looks like a great trip and memories for all.

06-Oct-20
bowman probably has it right...

• Sitka Gear